Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Paris to Budapest: Ryanair or easyJet or regular carrier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb

We are going from Paris to Budapest in June. I've never flown on a LLC and find Ryanair's rules complex and costly. They have a flight for $68 from BVA but it looks like their last flight of the day. EasyJet has a flight from CDG for $138, Transavia for $109 from Orly and Airberlin for approximately $200. Which has the most reliability and economy when you factor in all the added costs? I am also a bit worried about being on the last flight of the day in a small airport.

Also does anyone know a good, low cost insurance with trip cancellation that would cover my booking a new ticket with another carrier if one of the LCC didn't depart? I read some horror stories about LCC but I don't know how common that is. Thanks so much for your assistance!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:18 am

I'd pick Transavia from Orly, then Easyjet from CDG. Much, much more convenient than flying from BVA with Ryanair. If you are staying on the left bank, ORY is a cheap cab ride away.
You're covered by EU 261 regs in case of overbooking, cancelation, long delays. I wouldn't bother with insurrance for these risks.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Thank you so much for your reply. Does transavia have all the costly add ons and more importantly are they reliable & without a lot of hassle? After I posted I saw that if I left the next day I could fly on Air France for $88 or 108'with a prepaid bag & somewhat changeable ticket. I wanted to leave after 5 days but maybe it's worth it to stay a day and be on a normal carrier. And I've never flown air France. What do us think?

Is there an overnight train with good connections from Paris to Budapest or Vienna or Prague? What do u think of trains vs planes in Europe?

By the way if the airline leaves you stranded because the plane is grounded, does the European law reimburse you for your new expensive ticket on another carrier and cover your hotel if need be. Thanks!!!!

Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:27 am

Check bahn.de for train options, but that's going to be a long and expensive journey. Train is a good option in western Europe. In former Est-block countries (except East Germany, obviously) high speed trains aren't there yet.
For planes, chose airport/time convenience depending on price (including options if needed). For a 2 hours flight, even Ryanair won't be that bad. As for IRROPS, worst case scenario, they will give you a hotel for the night, plus some compensation. Unless you are trying to catch some long Gaul flight from BUD the next morning, you won't have to buy any new tickets. Google EU261 for details on care and compensation.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:36 pm

I've flown Ryanair tons of times. Sure it's no frills, but I've never had an experience where the plane is inexplicably grounded. I've found it to be as reliable as the major carriers. But ya, you gotta pay for every little thing...
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:17 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus/EK Skywards Gold/Skyteam Elite
I would not even think of flying out of BVA, it is way too far. I always fly EasyJet, which is the best combination of price, timing and quality.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by gonebabygone
I've flown Ryanair tons of times. Sure it's no frills, but I've never had an experience where the plane is inexplicably grounded. I've found it to be as reliable as the major carriers. But ya, you gotta pay for every little thing...
Low cost carriers in fact tend to be more reliable than the "normal carriers". The only issue is on the rare occasion when you are let down, it can be more of a hassle.

It's also incredibly simple so I have no idea what they're finding so confusing. All you have to do is:

- Check in online and print out a boarding pass/download a mobile boarding pass.
- Pay for checked luggage and comply with the weight and size restrictions.

That is literally it...
Old Mar 19, 2016, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999
Low cost carriers in fact tend to be more reliable than the "normal carriers". The only issue is on the rare occasion when you are let down, it can be more of a hassle.

It's also incredibly simple so I have no idea what they're finding so confusing. All you have to do is:

- Check in online and print out a boarding pass/download a mobile boarding pass.
- Pay for checked luggage and comply with the weight and size restrictions.

That is literally it...
For non-EU people when flying Ryanair, you need to have your passport verified at the airport. It's been a while since I did it, but Google it.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I did read some horrible reviews about Transavia. Seems like Easyjet gets the best reviews. Is that most people's experience?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel
For non-EU people when flying Ryanair, you need to have your passport verified at the airport. It's been a while since I did it, but Google it.
Ah, I didn't consider that! I should add "follow the instructions on the boarding pass" to the list.

Originally Posted by konaflyer
Thank you all for your input. I did read some horrible reviews about Transavia. Seems like Easyjet gets the best reviews. Is that most people's experience?
Out of the three airlines you've quoted, I do believe Easyjet gets the best reviews. I'd argue however that it's largely based on pre-conceptions and there is no meaningful difference between the three. When choosing between them, I would personally recommend you decide solely on price/convenience.

I'm a cheapskate so I'd go for the Ryanair flight. A more "normal" traveller should get the Transavia flight from ORY. BVA airport is miles away from Paris and will take much longer to get to.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:24 pm

Ryanair

I quite like Ryanair even though they nickel and dime you, as long as you go in with your eyes open and fully prepared. It is true, however, that some of their flights go to very secluded secondary airports, so that is definitely a consideration.

Our most recent flight on Ryanair was from London Stansted to Genoa Italy. It was very pleasant and efficient. (cheap too) The seats were comfortable and legroom pretty good. Here is my flight review video.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
I quite like Ryanair even though they nickel and dime you, as long as you go in with your eyes open and fully prepared. It is true, however, that some of their flights go to very secluded secondary airports, so that is definitely a consideration.

Our most recent flight on Ryanair was from London Stansted to Genoa Italy. It was very pleasant and efficient. (cheap too) The seats were comfortable and legroom pretty good. Here is my flight review video.
Ryanair Flight FR 972 London Stansted to Genoa Italy Passengers Clap Boeing 737-800 - YouTube
Thanks for the awesome video. It definitely changed my opinion of Ryanair from the comments I had read online.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Forgot to add, was it a 3-3 or 3-2 seating configuration?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It will be an expensive hassle to get to BVA.

I'd change the date by one and take AF for $88.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by konaflyer
Forgot to add, was it a 3-3 or 3-2 seating configuration?
3-3. It is a standard Boeing 737 config.

We flew back to London from Genoa on British Airways. The plane used was an Airbus A319, also 3-3 configuration. You get a sandwich and drink, other than that, experience is about the same. Here is the review, in case you're interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.