Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

Where to Buy Euros in the US because.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Suzietime
Wells Fargo. Free of charge if you have an account. Some branches have them right there.
That's nice to know, thanks.

I've just gotten into the habit of keeping €100 or so around between trips to avoid the hassle.
Old May 11, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by spachick
When I arrive in Europe, it's going to be rather late.
I just want to get into a cab and GO!
So I want to get some Euro's here in the US.
I refuse to go to the exchange places at the airport.
I thought of the bank, AAA or American Express Travel Centers.
Am I missing any other choices?
Where in the U.S.? If you'll be on Manhattan Island, you'll have more options than if you're in Manhattan, Kansas.

(I can't see your FT profile from my BlackBerry, so I don't know if you've identified where you're from.)
Old May 12, 2014, 5:29 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Seriously: ATM. CDG's got many. Some of those are close to the cab stands.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:26 am

Thanks for the help, seems like ATM is best option. But then the airport site states that Terminal 2 ATM's are a long walk and that's where I'm coming in. May just risk it and if it's too far, call it a night. Arranging for hotel to pick us up anyways so I won't have to pay for that. May just get cash next day at ATM in city.

Getting CZK from Bank of America here doesn't seem like a great option anymore with the atrocious exchange rate + delivery fee.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Should not be a problem, but what I did last year was to go to FOREX and exchange a very small amount of money, just enough to pay for bus/Metro.

Suspect that is not an option with 6 year old, but as pragueairport.co.uk (see bottom of this post) states, for a small hit you can easily exchange just enough money.

Interesting web site, though wonder why Prague Airport would have a UK domain

Bolding mine.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: USAirways, AA
I should add that my local Wells Fargo would charge $7.50 to order euros, but by driving to the "bigger" branch I was able to get them on the spot for free. Just call to find out which one carries them.
Old May 22, 2014, 3:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I should add that my local Wells Fargo would charge $7.50 to order euros, but by driving to the "bigger" branch I was able to get them on the spot for free. Just call to find out which one carries them.
If you think taking a 5% fx hit is "free" I've got news for you. Just use atms; it's not 1980 any more.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
When free is not really free

Wells Fargo. Free of charge if you have an account. Some branches have them right there.
Well, free of plainly stated charges, anyway. You will get a lousy exchange rate to make up for it. Simply stop by one of the ubiquitous ATMs at your arrival airport.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by SeamusSA
Well, free of plainly stated charges, anyway. You will get a lousy exchange rate to make up for it. Simply stop by one of the ubiquitous ATMs at your arrival airport.
This is what I was trying to convey in post #21, but your words are more on point.
Old May 31, 2014, 5:14 am

I believe the original question asked was where to buy euros in the United States. If wanting to arrive with a few euros in hand would make her feel less stressed, then buying a few euros at a local bank is a good option. A few bucks to decrease her stress? Why not?
Old May 31, 2014, 5:22 am

I believe the original question asked was where to buy euros in the United States. If wanting to arrive with a few euros in hand would make her feel less stressed, then buying a few euros at a local bank is a good option. A few bucks to decrease her stress? Why not?
Because every major airport in Europe has many ATMs. Stress is completely unwarranted.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:07 am

Of course. But everyone's comfort level is different. And if getting a few euros ahead of time makes it better - then do it.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: UNited American
Euros

I work at a university. Lots of people travel. I put a message up on the employee boards and easily get students left over euros. We cash out at the daily rate shown on the internet.
Old May 31, 2014, 8:23 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by moondog
Because every major airport in Europe has many ATMs. Stress is completely unwarranted.
This. And it's cheaper.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
If you don't got time for that then you need to pay up for an airport exchange or whatever a bank wants to charge in the US. Can't have it both ways.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:43 pm

I flew into Prague last year. ATMs easy to find as you exit the airport. No brainer, this is the way to do it. Certainly nothing to stress over.

Originally Posted by jeff191
Thanks for the help, seems like ATM is best option. But then the airport site states that Terminal 2 ATM's are a long walk and that's where I'm coming in. May just risk it and if it's too far, call it a night. Arranging for hotel to pick us up anyways so I won't have to pay for that. May just get cash next day at ATM in city.

Getting CZK from Bank of America here doesn't seem like a great option anymore with the atrocious exchange rate + delivery fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.