Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

The worst car rental experience in Budget Vienna downtown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The worst car rental experience in Budget Vienna downtown

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Unhappy The worst car rental experience in Budget Vienna downtown

I have rent a car several times before , but this was the first time make me feel cheated and unpleasant , I even filed a complain to their customer center , they always keep silent so I just shared the worst car rental experience ever here.

First of all.

We originally booked a Mercedes A-class car at Retalcar.com , I always think it was a very good promotion price, so I particularly rent it at downtown Vienna AVIS/Budget and even spent me around 40 Euro take a cab to reach there.When I picked up my car that day, they told me I was early , they cannot provide this car in time.So we just waited there around one and half an hour and they didn't provide any restroom/toilet for customers,they wanted me figured it out by ourselves.

After around one and half an hour , they told me my car is ready, But eventually it was NOT Mercedes but just a big/Giant/fat/Stupid Nisson Juke
I told them I came here purely for this Mercedes A-class because of its good performance and low fuel consumption.
But they just told me that Mercedes A-class and Nisson Juke are the similar car and even Bigger one than Mercedes A-class.
And I told her my request is Mercedes A-class and rent it specially right here, I hope they can give me a Mercedes.
However, They told me they didn't have one for my booking and still claimed they are the similar cars and won't provide the car that I want at.
The most ridiculously part of all is, There is just one Mercedes A-class parking outside their garage.( They just kept us wait and lie to me)

For whole the thing ,it make me feed cheated by this downtown Vienna AVIS/Budget branch, They just gave me a ...... but bigger car with GPS/4WD to match Mercedes's value ,but it didn't fit what I want and I didn't even need these stuffs at all.( I brought my own GPS). Not even mentioned the fuel in Europe was extremely expensive, I didn't really need this big/fat/giant fuel consumption monster here.

Secondly,
2 extra fees was charged but Never informed.
She indeed asked me where I will go. I told her we will mainly travel in Eastern Europe. When I got the contract she just asked me to sign but keep silence. When I picked up the car, I just found 2 extra fees were charged. One is Travel Eastern Europe fee and the other is registration fee. At that moment , I went to inquire “him” what is it all about. He just told me if I want to travel to Eastern Europe, these two fees was needed. But When I returned to Vienna airport , I particularly asked Avis/budget reception again what it was, he honestly told me it meant I can use Austrian highway freely.

But it’s un-comprehensible that the annual fee is 180 Euro, and I just use 2 days of all my 21-days-rentals(went to Slovakia and returned back to Vienna from Italy, just like I said,we mainly traveled in Eastern Europe) , it will charge me 96 Euro. If they told me what it was, I swear to God that I would never use their highway. The most important of all ,these guys never mentioned all about it and make me feel cheated again. "He" even lied to me that was related to traveling Eastern Europe, it was so incredibly ridiculous .

Thirdly.

When I returned this car, I was asked to be charged a clean fee 60 Euro , they told me we make the car dirty and this cleaning fee was needed. That’s another ridiculous thing I met.
I have to say the outward appearance was very clean and admitted the carpet in the car might be a little bit dirty,there were some dirt and dry grass pieces left just like it was before , however I never been charged this fee except this time. So We have to clean it up by ourselves to avoid this incredibly ridiculous fee of 60 euro.

Finally.

When I was in reception , I asked her to key in my United FFP number that I can earn some miles ,but she asked me to provide my member Card but not just a numbers. Because I don’t like to bring a lot of cards with me so I always keep this numbers in my minds, but without a member card , she refused to register it to my reservation.
It also make me a little angry. I told her it always OK for all my car rental experience if I give a number but not a card , but I was not comprehensible why not OK here. I asked to meet her manager and tried to understand what was all about here, she walked inside and then went out told me , If I returned this car safely she would help me to key it into my FFP number.

But guess what, it turned out an another big lie. They refused to register it my number when I returned this car……..

See, it's another big lie.

Basically , I have rent cars several times even at AVIS or budget before, this was the worse rental cars experience ever , I didn't mean to blame this rental company but just want to remind you guys , Try NOT to rental a car at Avis/Budget Vienna downtown located at Laaer-Berg-Straße 43 , it will make you sick and make your journey unpleasant
Old Oct 19, 2013, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Welcome to FT!
That's quite a rant for a first post.
I understand you're somewhat frustrated, despite the fact you apparently got a very good price.
But I don't believe that this experience could be remotely categorized as the "worst" car rental experience.
Firstly, you rented a Mercedes A-class or similar. You are not guaranteed a particular vehicle, unless you book a specialty car. The location didn't have the A-class so offered you a similar or an upgrade. No cheating there.
Second, you wanted to take the car into Eastern Europe. If you had done a little research beforehand, you would have found you have to pay extra for this privilege. It sounds like the agent should have been more explicit with you. Still, no cheating.
Third, you admit the car was dirty. Application of this 'cleaning fee' is probably more than a little subjective depending on the return agent. Not sure I see this as cheating either.
Fourth, on adding your FFP to the rental, I'm not sure what happened there. It seems you were already aggravated on pick-up and return that you and perhaps that communication didn't go so well.
All-in-all, you seem to have had somewhat unrealistic expectations, you weren't as prepared as you should have been and to avoid being "sick" in future, I'd suggest you do a little more research before your next rental.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Oct 19, 2013 at 3:21 am Reason: added "unrealistic expectations"
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Welcome to FT!
That's quite a rant for a first post.
I understand you're somewhat frustrated, despite the fact you apparently got a very good price.
But I don't believe that this experience could be remotely categorized as the "worst" car rental experience.
Firstly, you rented a Mercedes A-class or similar. You are not guaranteed a particular vehicle, unless you book a specialty car. The location didn't have the A-class so offered you a similar or an upgrade. No cheating there.
Second, you wanted to take the car into Eastern Europe. If you had done a little research beforehand, you would have found you have to pay extra for this privilege. It sounds like the agent should have been more explicit with you. Still, no cheating.
Third, you admit the car was dirty. Application of this 'cleaning fee' is probably more than a little subjective depending on the return agent. Not sure I see this as cheating either.
Fourth, on adding your FFP to the rental, I'm not sure what happened there. It seems you were already aggravated on pick-up and return that you and perhaps that communication didn't go so well.
All-in-all, you seem to have had somewhat unrealistic expectations, you weren't as prepared as you should have been and to avoid being "sick" in future, I'd suggest you do a little more research before your next rental.
1.They did have a Mercedes A-class car parking in the garage , but they didn't want to give it to me.

2.2 extra fees was charge. one is for traveling to Eastern Europe,I didn't argue this one . The other is registration fee,this is what I complained about. They never told me what it was . I didn't know what it was until I returned Airport to ask their reception , they just told me it can allow me to use Austrian highway freely , but I can avoid to use highway by setting my GPS. If they told me what it was , I would never want to use it. But , they didn't tell me what it was at all.

3.Just like I said , I believe it was a normal condition when I returned this car.It meant I always return my cars as dirty as this time , but I never been charged this fee except this time.

4.They won't let me register my FFP number at the beginning , of course , I got a little angry , however , it never happened this before . don't even mention they lied to me that they would register it after I return this car.

It goes without saying , it definitely was the worse car rental experience ever.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Actually , I also blamed myself to ignore the bad comment for this Avis/Budget store on Google map, someone also left negative comment for this store in Vienna downtown. So I think it is not just only my problem and a single case.

Once again.I have rented a car at Avis for several times, I have to say it all good except this time. Just FYI
Old Oct 20, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wellfly
1.They did have a Mercedes A-class car parking in the garage , but they didn't want to give it to me.
They may have had it, but it may have been already reserved for someone else... and the point is... you're not *guaranteed* a specific car. You reserved a Mercedes A-class or similar. You got what you reserved - a car CLASS.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Neophyte hyperbole.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. When you made the reservation were you guaranteed the Mercedes or that class (similar)? If the former, you have a complaint. If not, you don't. The fact that you made the reservation to get the Mercedes doesn't matter.

2. The fees are apparently in the contract which you signed. If you didn't like them, you shouldn't have signed.

3. You admit that the carpet was dirty. Not sure if Eur 60 is appropriate for a carpet, but it's apparently the cleaning fee and you owe it. Again, was it disclosed in the contract you signed?

4. Many European companies require a FFP card. Those points cost money and there is a lot of fraud out there. Not suggesting that you committed fraud, just that there is a lot and asking for the card is one way to reduce it. If you want the miles, carry the card.

OP really has little to complain of other than perhaps a rental which didn't quite meet what he thought it would be.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Doesn't the avis.com website provide an opportunity to request frequent-flyer miles for a past rental?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Doesn't the avis.com website provide an opportunity to request frequent-flyer miles for a past rental?
Does it?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by roubaolic
Originally Posted by guv1976

Does it?
Apparently so:

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...navId=T5M17S00
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

After filing some complains to Rentalcars.com , Budget admitted their some mistakes and then gave me some refund.
( Sorry! It's budget actually , NOT AVIS , but they use this brand now. )

1.They refund me 10% of all the rental fee for giving me Nissan but not BENS I booked at the beginning.(Not met my SPEC)
2.They fully refund 96 Euro of administration fee that originally claimed they I can use all Highways is Austria , now it change its words as Winterization fee. Because we just rented it in 03,Sep , they admitted it is not applicable.

That's all enough for me,even though I still regreted myself to take a cab to there , I never asked for a refund of traveling Eastern Europe fee,because I knew most rental company in Austria will charge it.

Here's some reply from budget as below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this in mind there would not be a refund from rentalcars.com for a downgrade in vehicle. However we do understand your expectations were not met and we also note that if you reserved a vehicle for a Mercedes-Benz A-Class or similar you would expect to receive a vehicle of that spec. Therefore as a goodwill gesture we have refunded you 10% of your prepaid voucher. 2100.00TWD will reach your account within the next 7 working days

The charges from Budget are for the following items

80.00 Winterization fee - The vehicle you was given was equipped with snow tyre/chains thus a winterisation fee is applied
60.00 Travel East Fee – as was travelling out of Austria a cross border fee is applicable.
+VAT(20.00%)=EUR 177.39

We have refunded you the winterisation fee as we do not feel this is applicable. 3812.73TWD will reach your account within the next 7-10 days

The travel east fee (cross border supplement) will not be refunded by rentalcars.com As the renter it is your responsibility to inform our company should you be taking the vehicle out of the country. You will find the below conditions within the terms and conditions of your prepaid voucher. You have access to these conditions via your electronic voucher online, where you will find the t n c’s link at the bottom of your voucher page, these state:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel much better now , even it has damaged my travel mood and good impression of Europeans. Just FYI for this rental experience.

I did remember AIVS is a very good rental company.Hope not getting worse and worse.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Since this thread is confirmed as Budget, not Avis, I'm moving it over to the Budget forum. Please follow it there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.