FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The worst car rental experience in Budget Vienna downtown
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:07 am
wellfly

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Welcome to FT!
That's quite a rant for a first post.
I understand you're somewhat frustrated, despite the fact you apparently got a very good price.
But I don't believe that this experience could be remotely categorized as the "worst" car rental experience.
Firstly, you rented a Mercedes A-class or similar. You are not guaranteed a particular vehicle, unless you book a specialty car. The location didn't have the A-class so offered you a similar or an upgrade. No cheating there.
Second, you wanted to take the car into Eastern Europe. If you had done a little research beforehand, you would have found you have to pay extra for this privilege. It sounds like the agent should have been more explicit with you. Still, no cheating.
Third, you admit the car was dirty. Application of this 'cleaning fee' is probably more than a little subjective depending on the return agent. Not sure I see this as cheating either.
Fourth, on adding your FFP to the rental, I'm not sure what happened there. It seems you were already aggravated on pick-up and return that you and perhaps that communication didn't go so well.
All-in-all, you seem to have had somewhat unrealistic expectations, you weren't as prepared as you should have been and to avoid being "sick" in future, I'd suggest you do a little more research before your next rental.
1.They did have a Mercedes A-class car parking in the garage , but they didn't want to give it to me.

2.2 extra fees was charge. one is for traveling to Eastern Europe,I didn't argue this one . The other is registration fee,this is what I complained about. They never told me what it was . I didn't know what it was until I returned Airport to ask their reception , they just told me it can allow me to use Austrian highway freely , but I can avoid to use highway by setting my GPS. If they told me what it was , I would never want to use it. But , they didn't tell me what it was at all.

3.Just like I said , I believe it was a normal condition when I returned this car.It meant I always return my cars as dirty as this time , but I never been charged this fee except this time.

4.They won't let me register my FFP number at the beginning , of course , I got a little angry , however , it never happened this before . don't even mention they lied to me that they would register it after I return this car.

It goes without saying , it definitely was the worse car rental experience ever.