Wiki Posts
Search

Stansted Gate Train to Nowhere

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by nmstough
That's right. I had figured that since I wasn't sure exactly which gate my flight was leaving from it would be easier to take the quick train (which I had assumed I could return on) rather than take a long walk and be in the wrong location.
The quick train to the gates that pretty much no Ryanair flights use, you mean? Instead of walking to the gates that are much more likely likely to be used for Ryanair flights, as shown on the boards that you couldn't be bothered with watching?

Last edited by Moderator2; Apr 8, 2015 at 7:28 am Reason: Referencing now removed post
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:10 am

And the reference to "flight connections" is nonsense. There are no flight connections at STN, only arrivals and departures. It wasn't designed, or intended, for flight connections. If you want to "connect" at STN you arrive, you go landside, you depart.

Last edited by Moderator2; Apr 8, 2015 at 7:29 am Reason: Referencing now removed post
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Plenty of airports, especially in the UK, that use one-way trains. I can think of a few airports outside the UK that also have one-way trains, and it doesn't seem to confuse many people.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 am

I travel from STN fairly often. There are *plenty* of signs saying "no return to departure lounge from gates", or something similar.

There are loads of people who end up at the wrong satellite. Nearly everytime I am there, I hear someone asking where gate x is and being told it is elsewhere (nearly always Brits, who can't even use language as an excuse). There are telephones (labelled for passenger use) at various points in the satellite buildings that can be used to arrange a journey to the correct satellite.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Heathrow T5 also uses a "one way" train out to B and C, and returns picking up international arrivals and depositing them at the UK Border and Flight Connections

There is a walkable tunnel of course (which I always use in preference to the train) but until recently it was not sign posted and it was marked "staff only".

I have a bit of sympathy with the OP in often finding myself in places I should not be but I do not blame the designer when I did not read the manual
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
This would require them to put in a second track and buy a second train, and have trains running empty in one direction (i.e., TO the arrivals area and FROM the departures area).
A single train can have cars dedicated to airside/sterile and landside/non-sterile. SEA and FRA come to mind as examples of airports that do this. No need for a second train/set of tracks.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
A single train can have cars dedicated to airside/sterile and landside/non-sterile. SEA and FRA come to mind as examples of airports that do this. No need for a second train/set of tracks.
But those cars would be entirely pointless 50% of the time (or we can say, 49.995% of the time)

It's a bit unfortunate someone has got stuck out there but moving backwards and forwards like this is not normal in UK airports.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:02 am

Speaking of STN, the disclaimer on the airport information screens makes me laugh
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:23 am

I passed through again last week. I didn't notice any signs saying no return after a train journey.

There are very large, red background signs by the train doors which read "This train only stops at Gates . . . . etc"

Not at all clear that they don't carry passengers back.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by ft101
I passed through again last week. I didn't notice any signs saying no return after a train journey.

There are very large, red background signs by the train doors which read "This train only stops at Gates . . . . etc"

Not at all clear that they don't carry passengers back.
I agree and revise my previous response after visiting this week. There were signs in January. There are not signs in April. It would appear they have been removed.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.