Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT Exclusive: *LIVE* BA001 LCY-JFK Trip Report 30 Sept 09

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FT Exclusive: *LIVE* BA001 LCY-JFK Trip Report 30 Sept 09

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Boarding!!

:d:d:d
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
The first post here is an interesting report of a trip on AA to SNN which includes some details about the nastiness of the facilities of SNN airport.

To wit:

The entire Shannon experience recalls prop-era Shannon refueling stopovers where passengers, left to their own devices, spend time in Duty-Free area buying Mead (Honest to God, they sell Mead. Who knew?), mohair throws, large green hats, buttons that say "Kiss Me, etc." and fake coats of arms. As if: we were all peasants then. Ashamed to be Irish at this point: it's off the scale on the "tack-o-rama" meter. Departure area is pretty barren; waits in various lines totalled over an hour for immigration then final (why?) bag check.
Continentalclub: when you get to SNN, can you confirm any of this? Is SNN still like that?

Many thanks for the updates: will be reading avidly throughout the day.

Last edited by salut0; Sep 30, 2009 at 8:03 am
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by salut0
The first post here is an interesting report of a trip on AA to SNN which includes some details about the nastiness of the facilities of SNN airport.
That about sums SNN up alright ^

Granted it’s been a while since I’ve been though Shannon, but the pictures linked to in post Post #29 are the way I remember it !

Last edited by kered; Sep 30, 2009 at 7:48 am
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:29 am

Have a great trip - CC. I look forward to reading the rest of your report. I'm not at all jealous.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
SNN must be better than the potential 45/60 min wait standing in a US immigration hall, with no phone, being shouted at by officials, and the repetitive CNN Headline news blaring out everywhere?

Enjoy the flight Continentalclub, I'm enjoying your commentary.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC
How many people are on the flight ?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum (+LTG)
They had the NFL on when I went through JFK Immigration at T7 last week - made the wait a little more bareable If only they would have FSC on !
Old Sep 30, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Blue Box Flynn
They had the NFL on when I went through JFK Immigration at T7 last week - made the wait a little more bareable If only they would have FSC on !
The key to dealing with long waits for immigration officials is the sprint from plane door, dodging the people ambling slowly along in front of you, to the hall itself. That can often save you an hour in line.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:07 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
To me they still got the seating wrong : They should have looked at

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/4...851cd0cf68.jpg
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by UncleDude
To me they still got the seating wrong : They should have looked at

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/4...851cd0cf68.jpg
I suspect space didnt allow, there are only 7 rows as it is!

Should we not have heard more from Con. Club by now? Hope the interweb hasn't fallen over!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Very interesting report so far thanks.

Are all the other passengers working hard?

I must admit that I would not like to take this flight as I consider a flight to be a time to sit back, listen to music, watch a film and relax. This new product seems to be rather too workaholic oriented for me.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by salut0
The key to dealing with long waits for immigration officials is the sprint from plane door, dodging the people ambling slowly along in front of you, to the hall itself. That can often save you an hour in line.
Are you actually infering that there would be passengers from your aircraft ahead of you? Surely you must be refering to pax from other aircraft.

Even in the times before green card, I do not recall waiting for longer than 45 minutes (and that was with CX arriving 15 minutes ahead of BA) at JFK T7.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Don't panic, Mr Mainwaring; I'm here, I'm here!

Apologies for the slight hiatus there. OnAir came on 10 minutes out of LCY and stayed on with only one satellite change 'bong' until the seatbelt sign coming into SNN. I'm now through immigration and they're already boarding. Arghhh - it's going too quickly. More in a minute!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:21 am

Thanks for the insights cc - looking forward to reading the rest of your reports.

I've just had the call from BAEC offering to swap my flight in mid-October from LHR-EWR to BA1 instead - I've jumped at the chance! (even though I still need to get to Newark at the other end). This was a WT+ sale fare MFU'd to CW - I couldn't change the return flight from JFK because it's on a Saturday night, but I think I would rather do it this way round and keep my upper deck seat for the overnight anyway.

Just looked in MMB, I've been allocated 1J with only 6 other seats pre-allocated so far.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by continentalclub
Don't panic, Mr Mainwaring; I'm here, I'm here!

Apologies for the slight hiatus there. OnAir came on 10 minutes out of LCY and stayed on with only one satellite change 'bong' until the seatbelt sign coming into SNN. I'm now through immigration and they're already boarding. Arghhh - it's going too quickly. More in a minute!
Oh my gosh! How exciting!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.