Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FT Exclusive: *LIVE* BA001 LCY-JFK Trip Report 30 Sept 09

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FT Exclusive: *LIVE* BA001 LCY-JFK Trip Report 30 Sept 09

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 5:54 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Excellent read continentalclub, I thoroughly enjoyed it ^

One question….

Did the A318 seem a bit small at all, for such a journey across the Atlantic ?

Was it any way daunting to be on such a small plane heading out across the dark wild night sky from JFK ??
Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks kered. If anyone is going to be considering the aircraft's size, it's going to be when they're at LCY, viewing it at close quarter from the floor-to-ceiling glazed, apron-level lounge at Gate 24.

Having said that, compared to everything else next to it, it looks relatively enormous there.

At JFK, boarding via a jetty, it's barely possible to see the BabyBus from the terminal, so I suspect that it would be less of an issue to size queens there.

Inside, it is only in length that it varies from anything in the family up to an A321, which many will have flown on midhauls with far less spacious cabins, with much smaller seats, on sectors not dissimilar in length to JFK-LCY.

As I said early on, my initial impression was of space, rather than confinement, and the cabin is of course significantly larger than the upper deck of the 744.

Speaking of which, there are of course many people who still baulk at the idea of flying on something as huge as a Jumbo. They don't perceive that something that big can possibly float aloft safely.

So, personally, I never considered for a second that an aircraft of the A318's toned physique, with such a gym-trim interior would not be fit for Atlantic flying.

Likewise, I understand the physics that keep the Boeing behemoth above the briney, so it'll ultimately come down to personal preferences again.

Remember, size is all relative; even if the 'titchy' A318 ran over your foot, you'd almost certainly feel it .
Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:33 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Cheers for the CC ^
(if I may be that familiar as to refer to you as “CC”)

” an aircraft of the A318's toned physique, with such a gym-trim interior”
A truly eloquent writing style you have there, I love it

The thought of heading out across the Atlantic on the wee A318, is quite a daunting one to me, I really don’t think I could bring myself to do so. But then I would shy away from CO’s 757 on the SNN EWR run too.

But I must say your report does make it seem really nice, so perhaps one day………….. although no I don’t think so
Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:48 am
Original Poster

You're very kind, Kered; thank you again and of course you may maintain your manicure and curtail the keystrokes by commuting to CC.

I sometimes regret the fact that I didn't choose a more succinct handle myself!

Nonetheless, I fully appreciate that you might fall into the wide-body preferring population; hopefully if CWLCY is the success that I think it deserves to be, then perhaps more aircraft and more routes will join the airline, and some of those might be sectors of a length that you'll be comfortable sampling the service on.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I have also loved your report CC (if I can also be so bold)
I can't wait for the pictures
CIHY
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In order for this service to be a rip roaring success I imagine BA really need to get the Yanks on board.
Was there many American accents on any of your flights cc?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you CIHY, and yes of course you may be so bold!

And logic would suggest that you'd be right too, HIDDY, but there again, it is only 64 seats a day in each direction (when the twice-daily schedule launches) so I would have thought that either side of the pond could potentially fill that on their own.

Accents? I haven't yet perfected my detection of any difference in modulation or pitch between a British snore and an American snore, so last night's flight was a bad sample to interrogate...

On the outbound I heard at least one American accent, but there again there are so many Britons living in the USA and vv, that I'd not draw any particular conclusions from that either.

The (British) guy sitting next to me this morning told me that he was very impressed though, a silver card-holding regular JFK CW passenger who'd booked CWLCY to try it out.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:08 am
Suspended

Sounds like a good time.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: BA
Yeah, I'm not sure accents indicate anything. There are so many American accents based in Canary Wharf / Sq Mile. When I go into my Dads office in Canary Wharf it's so easy to think you're in the U.S.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by continentalclub

Inside, it is only in length that it varies from anything in the family up to an A321, which many will have flown on midhauls with far less spacious cabins, with much smaller seats, on sectors not dissimilar in length to JFK-LCY.

As I said early on, my initial impression was of space, rather than confinement, and the cabin is of course significantly larger than the upper deck of the 744.

Speaking of which, there are of course many people who still baulk at the idea of flying on something as huge as a Jumbo. They don't perceive that something that big can possibly float aloft safely.

So, personally, I never considered for a second that an aircraft of the A318's toned physique, with such a gym-trim interior would not be fit for Atlantic flying.
Have you flown BA001...BA004 before?

The previous plane on those flights was designed for midgets, preferrably for midgets without any hand luggage (192 cm ceiling height, 263 cm cabin width). Worse, it was 4 abreast just like Babybus which has 369 cm cabin width.

Did the flight numbers exist before 1976?

VC-10 cabin is narrower than Babybus, at 350 cm. B707-420 also is narrower, at 353 cm. And Comet is almost as narrow as Concorde, at 292 cm or so... but in coach, it has 5 seats abreast!
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
There was a review of CC's outbound flight in the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...-New-York.html
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Exactly my thought too. ^
No absolutely not. The CCR is not for club class passengers, why LCY but not LHR? Makes no sense.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Zamoyska
Yeah, I'm not sure accents indicate anything. There are so many American accents based in Canary Wharf / Sq Mile. When I go into my Dads office in Canary Wharf it's so easy to think you're in the U.S.
I don't care where they are based as long as BA get their money rather than AA/UA/CO/US/DL.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
No absolutely not. The CCR is not for club class passengers, why LCY but not LHR? Makes no sense.
CWLC is a slightly different beast - its distinct branding indicates this. It is meant to be a notch above CW in many ways (e.g., the special Roast catering deal, the current F TPs offer, that sort of thing). With only 32 pax per plane I too think CCR access at JFK would be a genuine perk and make good sense for CWLC, especially since the plane seems to use Gate 1 or 2 so far.

On Thursday for example, pre-flight dining was heaving at JFK around the time of BA2 with barely a seat to be had. Not a great experience for the premium CWLC (which does command a higher fare than 'normal' CW too). Moving the CWLC pax to the CR would benefit both them and the other CW pax as the dining room would be less busy. Granted that means the CR would be busier but it seems an acceptable trade-off.

BA could at least experiment with it - perhaps as a temporary, unadvertised until check-in offer, and see if it works better.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wot G-BOAC said. The LCY service is being positioned as more than Club.

cc - thanks for the detailed reports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.