Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Ashes price promotion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue.
Interesting Ashes price promotion

Assume this has been posted - but could not find it.

http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...als/ashes09_UK

Pity about the score....

With the second npower Test at Lord's from 16 July to 20 July 2009, Qantas have teamed up with British Airways to offer return economy fares from London to Sydney based on first innings results.

The price of flights will be determined by Australia's first innings, with availability of seats determined by England's first innings.

For example, if Australia are bowled out for 230 and England make 395, there will be 395 seats available from both Qantas and British Airways at 230.

The Qantas fares will go on sale from 8am (BST) Tuesday 21 July to Friday 24 July or until sold out. Availability will be strictly limited.

Fares will be valid for travel from 7 August to 22 September 2009.

Offer is limited to 2 passengers per reservation.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Ashes promotion: LHR-SYD return QF or BA 215 all in - for a lucky few

Australia's miserable first innings batting performance at Lord's means a limited offer fare of 215 all in for LHR-SYD return with QF or BA in August/September. Australia's total determined the price, England's total determined the number of tickets available - 425. So 425 tickets at 215. The figures could have been reversed in different circumstances.

Details at http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...als/ashes09_UK

I can't find the offer at ba.com yet.

I suspect the tickets will be as easy to book as BA's Concorde for 10 offer a while ago.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
I spotted a corresponding press release on ba.com a few days ago:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_gb

What an offer!
I bet BA & QF didn't expect the English bowlers to be quite so effective.

Wish I could take advantage but I've no availability, good luck to those who'll be in the queue.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:30 pm

Wow, could be a good offer. The BA site says:

"From July 21, customers wanting to fly with British Airways can visit ba.com while Qantas customers should check on Qantas.com."

Does anyone know if that means literally 1 second after midnight the fares will be available? Must make for a bit of a nightmare for the revenue management peeps!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:30 pm

Reading the BA press release again, it assumes (incorrectly) that the Aussies we're going to bat first:

For the second npower Test at Lords (July 16-20), the price of flights will be determined by Australias first innings, with availability of seats determined by Englands reply

All the best to Ricky and his men for the coming two days!!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Roger
Australia's miserable first innings batting performance at Lord's means a limited offer fare of 215 all in for LHR-SYD return with QF or BA in August/September. Australia's total determined the price, England's total determined the number of tickets available - 425. So 425 tickets at 215. The figures could have been reversed in different circumstances.

Details at http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...als/ashes09_UK

I can't find the offer at ba.com yet.

I suspect the tickets will be as easy to book as BA's Concorde for 10 offer a while ago.
AIUI from the BA press release the price is based on Australia's 1st innings score (215) and the number of seats on England's reply (i.e. 2nd innings score) which is currently 311.

Available from 21 July
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ojs555
Does anyone know if that means literally 1 second after midnight the fares will be available?
Qantas version states 8am (BST).
http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...als/ashes09_UK
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by JimEddie
AIUI from the BA press release the price is based on Australia's 1st innings score (215) and the number of seats on England's reply (i.e. 2nd innings score) which is currently 311.

Available from 21 July
The BA press release is a bit confusing but my read of the offer is as Roger states above; with both team's first innings scores being the decisive numbers.

Needs clarifying though........
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by JimEddie

Available from 21 July
OK - this will be an amazing deal - but as the BA website pointed out last year only lasted 30 minutes...

Is it worth having a go??

Tuesday at 8 am this year it will probably last ten minutes...

So much for "valid until Friday 24th"!!! It won't even make 9 am!!!!!
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum
You'd have to pay me a LOT more than 215 to sit in economy on a return flight to Australia
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Worthing Scottish
You'd have to pay me a LOT more than 215 to sit in economy on a return flight to Australia
LOL, I tried to talk my husband into it (partially as a joke) and he looked at me with a horrified expression on his face, and then said, "YOU aren't doing that in economy, are you?"
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Worthing Scottish
Fair point fair point... BUT paying just the taxes (virtually) the backache would pass quicker knowing that you really have a free flight.. Anyway I haven't flown Y in yonks with BA... Probably do me some good^^^
If I'm able to be infront of a computer I'm going to give it a goooo!!!
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
LOL, I tried to talk my husband into it (partially as a joke) and he looked at me with a horrified expression on his face, and then said, "YOU aren't doing that in economy, are you?"
Wait a second... Is ecnomomy THAT bad????? I'm normally too afraid to look down the plane!!!
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:33 am

Being that I can be a really grumpy old git when it comes to what I consider unreasonable taxation, it would actually grate on me to look at the whole fare as being composed of taxes.

I can't help but to look at the tax component every time I pay for a ticket and get appalled at exactly how much tax the government is scamming* off me.

*I do see it as a type of scam unless they can prove that air passenger tax is being spent on a suitable cause.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by terminalfive
Wait a second... Is ecnomomy THAT bad????? I'm normally too afraid to look down the plane!!!
I can assure you it's bad. Even my husband (who really dislikes paying to fly) has finally decided to give up on this form of masochism.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 19, 2009 at 10:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.