Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lounge Access [at GLA when connecting to a CE flight to FCO]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat

Hey All,

Probably a question that you've been asked a zillion times (did a search but it seems to be down just now). Flew GLA-LHR-FCO on Monday in CW miles booking in C class. Lounge dragon in GLA told me I wasn't entitled to lounge access in GLA but let me in anyway. I thought I was entitled to lounge access since it was a CW booking with miles on the same PNR?

Flying the reverse tomorrow: FCO-LHR-GLA. The question is will the lounge dragon in LHR tomorrow say that I am not allowed access? If so what should I say to her. Help me to be armed please folks. We have 4 hrs in LHR and were relying on lounge access.

Thanks, as always!

Bubz

Last edited by Bubba911; Apr 16, 2009 at 9:18 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Yes you are entitled to lounge access - showing the CW bp should be enough - keep the CW bp on the return and show them that.

Nicci who posts here as BA Executive Club has made it clear on many occasions that this is still a valid perk of Domestics connecting to CW - but is seems that some out stations (Aviance in Scotland) are still not being trained properly.

I recently did EDI-LGW-GND and the domestic ticketed in R class - but we had no problems as the EDI lounge people are pretty well clued in.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Yes you are entitled to lounge access - showing the CW bp should be enough - keep the CW bp on the return and show them that.

Nicci who posts here as BA Executive Club has made it clear on many occasions that this is still a valid perk of Domestics connecting to CW - but is seems that some out stations (Aviance in Scotland) are still not being trained properly.

I recently did EDI-LGW-GND and the domestic ticketed in R class - but we had no problems as the EDI lounge people are pretty well clued in.
Actually last time I looked FCO was still in Europe - so CE not CW, but the rules still allow Lounge Access whether on a fully paid flight or a redemption.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by OPebble
Actually last time I looked FCO was still in Europe - so CE not CW, but the rules still allow Lounge Access whether on a fully paid flight or a redemption.
Indeed - my eyes had seen MCO rather than FCO (and yes I know that MCO flights don't go from LHR!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Hi Guys!

Thanks for your help and advice it was needed.

Currently in T5 Galleries having initially been refused by the agent on the desk who said that because I was ticketed in 'C' I was not entitled to access to the Galleries despite the fact that I had just come from a flight which I had flown in CE (also ticketed C Class). Despite me quoting everything that was said here she said that because I was flying economy to GLA it didn't matter that I had flown CE from FCO to LHR. I asked to speak to a manager... she refused initally.

However another couple arrived shortly after and was in the same position as we were in. She eventually conceded and called a manager who apologised for the error and let us in.

I do realise that I was on a redemption booking and that I am not a high end revenue customer. However entitlement is entitlement, right? It was very embarrassing standing there being told by the 'agent' that I wasn't entitled and to go away basically.

Nicci, if you read this, maybe staff need to be trained more thoroughly on lounge access and rely less on their blasted computers? The manager who came to speak to us admitted that this is an issue.

Anyway, when all is said and done, thanks to everyone's support and advice here I stood my ground and can spend the next few hours in comfort.

Thanks everyone!

Bubz!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Bubba911
Hi Guys!

Thanks for your help and advice it was needed.

Currently in T5 Galleries having initially been refused by the agent on the desk who said that because I was ticketed in 'C' I was not entitled to access to the Galleries despite the fact that I had just come from a flight which I had flown in CE (also ticketed C Class). Despite me quoting everything that was said here she said that because I was flying economy to GLA it didn't matter that I had flown CE from FCO to LHR. I asked to speak to a manager... she refused initally.

However another couple arrived shortly after and was in the same position as we were in. She eventually conceded and called a manager who apologised for the error and let us in.

I do realise that I was on a redemption booking and that I am not a high end revenue customer. However entitlement is entitlement, right? It was very embarrassing standing there being told by the 'agent' that I wasn't entitled and to go away basically.

Nicci, if you read this, maybe staff need to be trained more thoroughly on lounge access and rely less on their blasted computers? The manager who came to speak to us admitted that this is an issue.

Anyway, when all is said and done, thanks to everyone's support and advice here I stood my ground and can spend the next few hours in comfort.

Thanks everyone!

Bubz!
Bubz - I would PM Nucci - she posts as BA Executive Club - with a link to this thread.

Also redemptions tend to ticket in U class for business redemptions - are you quoting what was printed on the BP? C is for CE whatever the booking class and C appears on all UK Dom boarding passes whatever the booking class.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:35 am

How about a simple flowchart ? How difficult would that be ?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Whenever I book redemption flights connecting from GLA thru either LGW or LHR, I make a point of printing out my itinerary from the MMB screen.

This shows the travel information, including lounge details -- the lounge access details don't appear if the flights are booked in Y, only for J and above.

I have yet to have any difficulties with this ( that's me screwed now then !)
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Bubz - I would PM Nucci - she posts as BA Executive Club - with a link to this thread.

Also redemptions tend to ticket in U class for business redemptions - are you quoting what was printed on the BP? C is for CE whatever the booking class and C appears on all UK Dom boarding passes whatever the booking class.
Hi edi-traveller.... my mistake C was what was printed on the boarding pass. No idea what booking class it was in then. Just checked checkmytrip.com but it doesn't seem to tell me either.

I'll PM Nicci to tell her about the thread.

Thanks for all your help.

Bubz
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bubba911
WHAT?

Really is pathetic how this can still be going on after all this time.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
WHAT?

Really is pathetic how this can still be going on after all this time.
Indeed- happened to me not long ago when travelling in club from JFK and on to NCL (no status). When I showed my inbound Club boarding pass, they tried to send me to the arrivals lounge, stating I would not have access to Galleries Club since NCL was all economy... I stood my ground and he eventually went over to the GF desk to ask a colleague who sighed and waved me on. The staff member mumbled something about "We all learn something new every day, sir".

What a load of b*llocks.

How about a little training before allowing customer facing associates out into the terminal, or is that too much to ask for?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Rickers
Whenever I book redemption flights connecting from GLA thru either LGW or LHR, I make a point of printing out my itinerary from the MMB screen.

This shows the travel information, including lounge details -- the lounge access details don't appear if the flights are booked in Y, only for J and above.

I have yet to have any difficulties with this ( that's me screwed now then !)
MMB is not always accurate though - I've got an upcoming trip where it is not correct. This is what each leg shows:

EDI-LHR - booked in J 'upgraded' to X - no lounge access in MMB
LHR-BKK - booked in T upgraded to U - no lounge access in MMB
BKK-LHR - booked in T - no lounge access in MMB
LHR-EDI - booked in J - lounge access in MMB

So the outbound flights should definitely have lounge access as they are MFU to Club. Inbound very questionable; at BKK I would say no, at LHR yes.

So I'm not convinced the information on MMB is either accurate or the same information that the lounge agents punch up on their screens.

There are a couple more FT threads about lounge access from the regions here and here

I do wish BA would clear up all the confusion . I like the idea of a flow chart...(as long as it is unambiguous and covers all eventualities of course)

(edited to add....)
Just spotted this thread. Looks like an MMB bug. If I MMB without logging in then my LHR-BKK leg correctly shows lounge access (although EDI-LHR still does not). I'll PM Dilly...

Last edited by matthewuk; Apr 18, 2009 at 1:32 am
Old Apr 18, 2009, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
It is infuriatingly hit and miss.

I've had the argument several times with the staff at the GLA lounge when travelling on redemption flights with the family, and have gone back later with a print out of the rules.

OTOH, I've found the CCR staff are great at letting you in when connecting from inbound F to domestic.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Lamancha
Ahh, so specifically we ought to be producing The Connecting Passenger Rules.

Pity there is nothing directly addressing the booking class issue.
The link in the above quote was from May last Year.

Last edited by hammythehammer; Apr 18, 2009 at 8:28 am Reason: problem with getting link into post
Old Apr 20, 2009, 4:20 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Hi all

I appreciate the frustration when you are advised inconsistent information or denied access to the lounge when you are holding a valid ticket (or valid connecting ticket as the case seems to be here).

It is correct that you are allowed to use the domestic lounges when holding a connecting Club ticket. This is regardless of the price paid for your Club ticket and includes redemption bookings.

We are currently working with the airport teams to try and improve things - thank you all for your continued patience. Please continue to let me know if you have issues so that I can follow these up.

Best regards

Nicci

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.