Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nosiness at First Check-in

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by baflyer999
Does CCR status really generate a number of op ups - and to clarify is this for the card holder or their partner? In the last few years, the only upgrades I've ever had have been once a year, from ET to CE, and only when travelling on a fully flex ticket purchased at the last minute. I'm normally on corporate fares and tend to get diddly squat. Never had a long haul upgrade
The fact is BA will prefer to upgrade a Silver into CW/F if they have recently flown a few legs in WTP or CW to try and get them to start buying the higher cabin.

I had a CCR card for a couple of years and didn't get a single upgrade (generally flying paid CW). Once I dropped down to 'normal' GGL, I've had a couple of upgrades to F.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
The fact is BA will prefer to upgrade a Silver into CW/F if they have recently flown a few legs in WTP or CW to try and get them to start buying the higher cabin.

I had a CCR card for a couple of years and didn't get a single upgrade (generally flying paid CW). Once I dropped down to 'normal' GGL, I've had a couple of upgrades to F.
True. I've had a Gold card for a number of years and never received an upgrade.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by baflyer999
Does CCR status really generate a number of op ups - and to clarify is this for the card holder or their partner? In the last few years, the only upgrades I've ever had have been once a year, from ET to CE, and only when travelling on a fully flex ticket purchased at the last minute. I'm normally on corporate fares and tend to get diddly squat. Never had a long haul upgrade
I don't think so. My op-up rate was higher when I was a non-BA OWE than as a GGL/CCR. Then again I rarely book in anything that can be upgraded in the first place nowadays, so I can hardly blame BA at all for not upgrading me, whereas my husband (partner Gold from my account, terribly low rent!) is at one extreme end or the other, either in F or WT, so he has a reasonable chance of getting an upgrade, being booked in WT, besides the fact that he had not flown paid CW (not recently anyway, as far as I can remember) which might be of help to him in terms of marketing target profiling for upgrade.

In any case, "never expect an upgrade regardless of one's status" is the only sensible approach here.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Either the 470 CCR holders is nonsense or people aren't truthful on their profiles!! There's no way 40/50 CCR holders have the time to frequent this board so much
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The collective noun for a group of GGLs is presumably a "Civ"
heckenhocker and dylanks like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Either the 470 CCR holders is nonsense or people aren't truthful on their profiles!! There's no way 40/50 CCR holders have the time to frequent this board so much
I've met at least a dozen in person over the years, so perhaps they do.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
By definition, those people probably have a lot of 'dead time' in airports / planes and so are more than likely to spend time chatting with strangers on an aviation forum...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've met at least a dozen in person over the years, so perhaps they do.
To be fair, I'm able to account for almost all the CCRs that post on FT very regularly, since I've generally met them at some point. There are only a few shy ones that I've not encountered yet.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I think the number of holders is far greater - perhaps 2,000 + if you look at the relatively few segments needed for real regular premium flyers.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
To be fair, I'm able to account for almost all the CCRs that post on FT very regularly, since I've generally met them at some point. There are only a few shy ones that I've not encountered yet.
A reticence of CCRs, perhaps, c-w-s?

One of my favourite collective nouns has to be a murder of crows, which gives rise to this delightful meme

Back onto topic, what would be really interesting (and highly commercially sensitive, so I doubt it will ever come to light) would be travel patterns of Premier/GGL/Gold BAEC members, and perhaps compare that to flights/loads/prices paid.

Some routes will be status-heavy, others won't be, but visualising some of that data would be fascinating.
Attached Images  
dcmike and LondonAndy like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by squawk
Some routes will be status-heavy, others won't be, but visualising some of that data would be fascinating.
My last UUA to F was AUH-LHR and I got the impression there really weren't many status pax at all on that particular flight.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by squawk
One of my favourite collective nouns has to be a murder of crows, which gives rise to this delightful meme
They look like ravens to me. Ravens are shiny and go blue in sunshine, crows are less shiny and the shine is more green. Moreover who on earth would tag a crow? And where is snuffi when you need him?
SK, deeruck and squawk like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:57 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
The collective noun for a gathering of GGLs is 'an importance'.
And the collective noun for head honchos in BA that some might applaud would be 'a murder of Cruz (crows)' i'll fetch my coat...
deeruck and Calchas like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They look like ravens to me. Ravens are shiny and go blue in sunshine, crows are less shiny and the shine is more green. Moreover who on earth would tag a crow? And where is snuffi when you need him?
Very good point c-w-s. That'll teach me to borrow images from the web

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
And the collective noun for head honchos in BA that some might applaud would be 'a murder of Cruz (crows)' i'll fetch my coat...
*groan*
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I was not expecting to learn how to tell ravens from crows here, although I have been trying to find an easy way to tell them apart so this is rather useful, as it happens.
heckenhocker, squawk and Calchas like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.