Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
I really liked it because there was something toe-curlingly awkward about it. But then I'm odd.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:12 am

They might have booked Kate Winslet to demonstrate the whistle on the life vest.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
OK, sorry. I detested the Director's Cut. Could they start again, in an adult manner? I know it's supposedly Comic Relief, but I didn't think Gordon Ramsay and some others I don't recognise are comics. Perhaps it's my age?

• Who are some of these people? I recognise some of them, but will foreign pax? Will they be impressed?
  • Gordon's handbag might have seemed funny at meetings, but it doesn't convey the right message for those with HUGE rollaboards.
  • Who is Sandi? Nice but ... who?

Now I'm getting serious. Bear with me, please ...

• Exits. Different aircraft types influence this, but showing various doors/overwings being opened might be helpful. No? Too scary for the public?
  • Oxygen. Show the chaotic drop-down of the masks, as Bangkok Airways do ... which one is mine?! And where's the image of the "coloured streamer"? Oh, work it out for yourself when there's a crisis at 35,000 ft?
  • Life Jacket. Forget the 'celeb', show the pax where it is stowed, what it looks like etc. "Underneath or beside your seat" is hardly a competent briefing! I have little idea where it lives, or what the packet looks like, let alone how to open the packet [I still struggle with opening BA's Nuts!].
  • "Brace Position". For heaven's sake ... using a chair? Why not show how difficult it is when jammed into a low seat-pitch cabin? And what about placing your feet ... ?
  • Chugging. Enough said. I hope they remove all other references on the IFE, and by Cabin Crew.
  • Rowan Atkinson. Wasted. Just extra chugging.

I apologise to those I may offend, but I think it is utterly dreadful, and misses the safety essentials at almost every turn. I don't give a damn about 'celebrities', I want a coherent and comprehensible safety brief that works for all nationalities and languages. This fails at every [non-comedic] turn - and none of it is faintly funny anyway.
I think a lot of your point are pretty valid, however it's important to remember this is an initial, non emergency briefing. In the event of an actual ditching, for example, we perform a manual thorough additional briefing, which requires passengers to don their life vests and tie them in front of crew. It's at this point we could assist pax if required. Similarly with the brace position, in a planned emergency we require pax to demonstrate they can do it correctly before landing.
With regards to the oxygen streamers, it's referring to a bright red streamer that dangles in your face and says 'PULL', it's relatively straight forward.
I appreciate, though, that only in an ideal world would we have time to complete a whole secondary briefing in the event of an actual emergency, but I feel like the normal briefing does a pretty good job. It makes pax aware of the risks and demonstrates on a basic level how to complete certain actions. If you go into too much detail, they'll panic and forget everything.
The briefing might not satisfy everyone, but I think it does a reasonable job of striking a balance between mildly entertaining and conveying an important message.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
The director cut is nice but too much dispersive and slow. At this point I am curious to see the actual safety video.
The donation part should be played separately, IMO.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Lefly
The director cut is nice but too much dispersive and slow. At this point I am curious to see the actual safety video.
The donation part should be played separately, IMO.
Or not at all.

Sorry, I donate both time and cash to Charity, but I always refuse when it's shoved in my face.

MFCC ... point taken. Potential 'Sheeple' overload is obviously a delicate balance. I'm just conscious that I still know little about what is what, and how, despite years of watching the various videos [OK. Airbus door handles go UP] and I really would like a clear image of where the lifejacket actually is stowed. It just seems to me that some potentially key issues are missing.

I did once ask the CC, post-briefing, where the lights were to guide us to the exits. No, not the floor strip shown in the Briefing Card, but instead embedded in the side of the aisle seats. I know 'the clues will be there' come the day, but ...
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
I think it morally wrong to conflate safety-critical information with a marketing message message designed to extract money from us. Regardless of how worth you may think the cause is.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think Air New Zealand still makes the best Safety Videos.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MFCC
I think a lot of your point are pretty valid, however it's important to remember this is an initial, non emergency briefing. In the event of an actual ditching, for example, we perform a manual thorough additional briefing, which requires passengers to don their life vests and tie them in front of crew. It's at this point we could assist pax if required. Similarly with the brace position, in a planned emergency we require pax to demonstrate they can do it correctly before landing.
With regards to the oxygen streamers, it's referring to a bright red streamer that dangles in your face and says 'PULL', it's relatively straight forward.
I appreciate, though, that only in an ideal world would we have time to complete a whole secondary briefing in the event of an actual emergency, but I feel like the normal briefing does a pretty good job. It makes pax aware of the risks and demonstrates on a basic level how to complete certain actions. If you go into too much detail, they'll panic and forget everything.
The briefing might not satisfy everyone, but I think it does a reasonable job of striking a balance between mildly entertaining and conveying an important message.
Get your point about a secondary briefing, but if the aircraft crash lands seconds after take off - how do you brace? Or emergency ditching straight after take off, where's your life jacket located, which exits can you open etc? All hopefully unlikely scenarios but possible..
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by londonba2014
Get your point about a secondary briefing, but if the aircraft crash lands seconds after take off - how do you brace? Or emergency ditching straight after take off, where's your life jacket located, which exits can you open etc? All hopefully unlikely scenarios but possible..
That's why you're told to read the safety card prior to departure which shows you exactly how to do all these things, specific to each aircraft type it shows the brace position relevant to you and how to operate the exit doors, it tells you where your life jacket is and which exits not to use in a ditching.
It really is a useful tool but it annoys me that many people don't use it. If the crew went over everything on it in detail before each departure, we'd never get off the ground.

So read the safety card everyone
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by londonba2014
That's where I'm coming from, really. I'm absolutely NOT a nervous flyer, but with a Military background I do know that I need to be trained for emergencies of many sorts. Ticking boxes, as safety videos tend to, alnong with poorly drawn cartoon safety cards, doesn't seem to me to quite provide the knowledge I would like to have.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

In an ideal world we wouldn't have to do any of this because flying would be perfectly safe, however there becomes a point where you have to accept that flying through the skies in a pressurised metal cylinder with hundreds of strangers at god knows what speed carries some risk; despite briefings and procedures and back ups and whatever your crew might know.
Watching theafety briefing combined with reading the safety card and doing whatever your crew start screaming at you when the preverbial hits the fan gives you your best chance of survival, and there's not a lot else people can do about it as awful as that sounds.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
I cringed and can only hope the proper one is better.

Like others have said, the current Qantas one is fantastic. IMHO of course.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It's not, I don't like it one little bit!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It's not, I don't like it one little bit!
I feel for you the quantity you fly!!!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:33 pm

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.