Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Goodbye to all our remaining USA based ground staff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye to all our remaining USA based ground staff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes a new company will be handling BA flights at all BA destinations in the US, I would think that they will be wearing BA uniforms as they do at the other airports.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Never a truer word written.
There was a man (who I haven't seen in a couple of years as I don't fly through JFK much anymore). He often seemed to work in the CCR, always with a suit and a warmth that is rare these days. A real gentlemen. He was kind, intuitive, seemed to care deeply about his work and represented the company with pride. I would always smile walking up to the desk or wherever he happened to be. His presence evoked a feeling kind of like when you see a trusted, familiar face who you know brings a lot of good into a world that so desperately needs caring and thoughtful people in every profession. I cannot imagine being a consultant to BA and thinking; "oh never mind the injustice of firing someone who works hard and has such a level of ability that you really can't even begin to teach someone -- this just seems like the best idea to get rid of him and colleagues anyway..." Just sad.

I wonder if this gentlemen is still employed and if so maybe one of you regulars who might know who I am describing could pass along a sincere thanks and gratitude from this traveler? Do others more familiar with JFK know the gentlemen I am writing about?

Last edited by BOStonTravels; Jul 16, 2017 at 5:16 am
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
I'm a frequent ORD traveller and, in my experience, the ground staff there are outstanding. They count a number of ex-pats amongst them and are always very helpful and on top of any situation that arises. So much so in fact that I pay a premium to fly BA to ORD rather than other OW airlines because I recognise and appreciate how good the staff are. I ALWAYS have a considerably better experience at ORD than LHR.

I'm very disappointed to see the loyalty exhibited by long serving 'proud to be BA' staff is not reciprocated by the airline. Their experience is invaluable and, whilst I understand that there's scope for improved efficiencies, throwing away some of the very people who make up for BA's poor product is not the answer.

Last edited by Moriarty; Jul 16, 2017 at 8:07 am
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Are those stations listed exempt or affected? I'm confused by the later comments as wording suggested exempt.

So, for example, at ORD will the lady who assists with tight connections, lost bags, etc. (looks like Christie Brinkley) or at PHL the lady who is usually in the lounge (has a beverage name) no longer be there?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Sad, but typical if the current lack of joined up thinking at BA Head Office. Next stop, machines no doubt. I'm glad I don't use BA to the USA.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:26 am

They did this to the BA staff at SEA last year. The contracted staff have been OK (I have yet to see them deal with a crisis), though I've noticed a fair amount of turnover.

AS outsourced their baggage-handling system-wide to Menzies several years ago, but had sufficient problems with them that they recently decided to bring their baggage handlers in-house again.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:04 pm

So I really dont want to see this come to pass. But I have a question and wonder what the contractual position typically is.

In IT if we outsource bodies then itll be a 'provide people' deal where the outsourcer can charge more the more people they put in - but if we are in a crisis we wont expect any more support than they are contactually required to provide. e.g. if they finish at 5 - they leave at 5 - regardless of what is going on. If we offer overtime we might or might not get support.

I'm wondering if it is the same in a customer facing environment like this (e.g. call centre or service desks). Or do the contracts have a 'disaster clause' for activating an 'all hands on deck' situation?

Primarily I'm wondering how well BA will cope at outstations with a future IT outage if their 'staff' walk off when the clock hits 'closing time' at the outstations (particularly somehere like JFK with so many flights)
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:25 pm

Since they did this, it wouldn't surprise me if the existing First/Galleries Lounges folded into partner (AA) lounges at the OW Hubs.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by perseus11
Since they did this, it wouldn't surprise me if the existing First/Galleries Lounges folded into partner (AA) lounges at the OW Hubs.
Absolutely. In this mindset anywhere there's space seems like they would close the lounges or find a contract alternative
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:45 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by perseus11
Other than PHL and DFW, that's not practical. PHL seems unlikely given the CW Dining Room. And with a DFW Flagship opening, I doubt that anyone would complain vs. the current lounge.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
This move to outsource ground crews (and call centres) saddens me. One of the steps that takes place is the outsourced staff are given far fewer degrees of freedom to remedy a situation and therefore it is justified that you don't really need experienced, more senior staff.

My own experience is if everything runs in a textbook like manner, things appear fine; but at the sign of problem, service resolution is non-existent.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Egoldstein
This move to outsource ground crews (and call centres) saddens me. One of the steps that takes place is the outsourced staff are given far fewer degrees of freedom to remedy a situation and therefore it is justified that you don't really need experienced, more senior staff.

My own experience is if everything runs in a textbook like manner, things appear fine; but at the sign of problem, service resolution is non-existent.
I think it runs deeper than staff having the autonomy to resolve a situation. There is also a desire. If they are protecting their brand, their employer and their shareholder, they are more likely to be determined to find the solution even if that is simply getting someone on the phone to sort it out.

If it is just someone they are contracted to, oh well - sorry it's not my problem.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
I think it runs deeper than staff having the autonomy to resolve a situation. There is also a desire. If they are protecting their brand, their employer and their shareholder, they are more likely to be determined to find the solution even if that is simply getting someone on the phone to sort it out.

If it is just someone they are contracted to, oh well - sorry it's not my problem.
While I'm sad to hear about the outsourcing and agree it will lead to negative outcomes, let's not get carried away. Last Christmas I was flying from PHL in F. At some point my BA-issued ticket had been screwed up by BA during the reissue associated with a UUA (conducted a month prior). The non-outsourced PHL staff basically said it wasn't there problem and I had to go sort it out on my own over the phone.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:29 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
The outsourcing of services can offer many benefits, providing its done correctly. I would say that because that was my business before I sold it and retired. However it's down to the ability of the outsourcing company to be able to offer the quality of service that it my case always aimed and succeeded in beating the customers expectations. In my experience the outsourcing company (BA) has to be persuaded that cheap will not work and that in any industry where your main asset is people, you need to invest in those people. If you just go cheap to save on costs it is generally bound to fail.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: British Airways
That is a shame staff at SFO lounge were very friendly and helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.