Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Recline Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by wanderer35
That is a surprise to me.
I wish they did that during mealtime, but I have never seen that done.
When they see my seat reclined they always tell me to raise it so the person can eat behind. I never argue, as they are right.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG, ANA Mileage Club, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by benjai

I don't see why people complain about people reclining. Shouldn't it be expected if that's what the design allows? They should really be complaining about the plane design instead.
Originally Posted by karcer
The issue you speak of is the airlines issue not the person in front of you. They are on the same 10 hour flight and maybe they want to try and stretch out a bit in a different position. The airlines are now thinking of making the seating area even smaller with less leg room, With the growing size of the average person this makes no sense, people spilling over their seats now getting more of them crammed into the area. The only way to improve it is to get airlines giving more room. may cost more but a little comfort is worth it in my mind.

I agree will all the above. It is the seat pitch in economy that is scandalous, not the people who try to make their flight time a little less uncomfortable.

Originally Posted by When I Travel The World
Only way to avoid this.

Remove all reclining seats from all aircraft, so no one gets a choice. That's the only way to ever end this argument.
Or increase the ridiculously small seat pitch.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:06 am

Interpersonal distances studies shows your personal space is 45cm around you, friend space is 1.2m around you, and your social zone is 3.6m around you.
How could anyone feel comfortable with 8 people (most of them, or all of them, unknown, so belonging to your social zone) within 50cm around you, for 10-12 hours for a long haul flight?
Attached Images  
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ltfly
Interpersonal distances studies shows your personal space is 45cm around you, friend space is 1.2m around you, and your social zone is 3.6m around you.

How could anyone feel comfortable with 8 people (most of them, or all of them, unknown, so belonging to your social zone) within 50cm around you, for 10-12 hours for a long haul flight?
That sounds like another way of asking "How can anyone bear to fly in economy?" Yet somehow, hundreds of thousands of people do it every day without suffering any ill-effects.

No changes will ever come to economy that will make any significant difference in the context of the numbers you're posting about. Some extra pitch? It's going to be a few more inches/cm at most. Some extra width? Even less than that.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That sounds like another way of asking "How can anyone bear to fly in economy?" Yet somehow, hundreds of thousands of people do it every day without suffering any ill-effects.
I deal with it the same way I deal with travelling on London Underground: headphones on and pretend nobody else is there.

As for seat recline etiquette, up at mealtimes but up to the person the rest of the time. They've paid for a seat that reclines.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Seats are made for reclining,unless in exit row and the seat is fixed in an upright position. Nowadays the tray tables are attached such that the recline of the seat does not impact the passenger behind. I recline slowly and its my right. I expect people behind me to recline as well, when everyone is reclined no one will be uptight.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:24 am

I don't recline in economy because I don't think my marginal increase in comfort is worth the bigger marginal decrease in comfort for the person behind me (exception, if the seat behind me is empty or perhaps if there's a small child behind me, then I would recline).
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
The three topics that appear all the time on FT:

Lounge Etiquette
Seat Reclining Etiquette
and Luggage Tag Etiquette.

lol

Anyway as mentioned above we:

Check behind to make sure the person behind is not eating or drinking then slowly recline, A little if sitting or fully if planning on sleeping / resting.

The only objection I have is when others dont follow suit and I have been wearing a drink or two in the past from previous offenders

Also Kids banging the seat too especially on one LAX flight when I heard "He normally doesn't behave like that with the nanny" said all I needed to know lol
You forgot about infants in F.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:33 pm

I hate recliners on short haul. I push back at the seat or jam it. If they get to recline I kick it. Or stand up wrenching it here and there and here again. Or drap a paper over their heads so I can read it. Ryan Air got this right.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Just to add to the debate, Mrs Cat & I were sitting in 16EF on a 789 in WT+ recently.

After the meal was over my wife (gently) reclined her seat, at which point the man in the seat behind (in WT+ remember) stood up, prodded her in the shoulder and asked her not to recline.

She wasn't bothered as she's tiny and we had 16DEF to ourselves, but I was distinctly unimpressed for many reasons.

His seat was fully reclined
I had purchased a seat (in WT+) which specifically advertises extra recline as a differentiator from Y - so any suggestion that the use of that recline is optional or is subject to the possibility of threats or intimidation from the person behind is unacceptable.
He laid his hands (albeit only just) on another passenger.

I am aware that this is a definite FWP - but since we are discussing the topic I thought I would add the datapoint that this appears to happen in WT+ also
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:16 pm

Last summer on an Edinburgh to Gatwick flight, I went into full on stern teacher mode over a person reclining their child's seat.

A woman with an infant was sat in the window seat next to mine, due to the confined space and the fact that her baby had on some type of metal brace contraption attached to his legs, plus he was wearing a helmet, getting the baby extender seat belt on him was difficult, so of course I helped her get settled.

In front of us was a woman sat on the aisle seat with her two small children in the two inside seats. The window seat child was blasting his video game to the entire plane. It was so bad that the flight attendant asked him to mute it or use headphones. His mother grumbling pulled out headphones for him to use. He used them for about 10 minutes and then went back to blasting the audio to the whole plane.

When she wasn't dealing with her child, she was staring at the baby next to me, who by the way was super well behaved.

As soon as the plane hit cruising altitude, she promptly reclined her son's seat so that it was crushing the infant next to me. I immediately tapped her on the shoulder, gave her my best teacher glare and told her to put the seat back as it was crushing the baby. She apologized profusely said she hadn't seen the baby and put her son's seat back into it's upright position.
The mother next to me thanked me.
While I understand that people have paid for the right to recline their seats, it is common sense that you should never crush a baby!
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser

No changes will ever come to economy that will make any significant difference in the context of the numbers you're posting about. Some extra pitch? It's going to be a few more inches/cm at most. Some extra width? Even less than that.
In fact, I do travel in economy, only, long haul included. What I meant is that I find the seat pitch in economy really uncomfortable, and I'm giving figures to show how it works and affects passengers.
So, I am not surprised to see how a reclining seat can really affect someone's already too small space. As you say, Globaliser, we cannot hope for significant changes in seat pitch, unfortunately.
Yet, I would be happy to see regulations that impose a more reasonable minimum pitch than we have now, because as long as there no regulations, airlines can go as far as they want in further reductions.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ms.O
While I understand that people have paid for the right to recline their seats, it is common sense that you should never crush a baby!
Although logically a baby/young child in a seat is less "crushed" than an adult in a seat when the person in front reclines.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Although logically a baby/young child in a seat is less "crushed" than an adult in a seat when the person in front reclines.
That story about being crushed was about a lap child.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
That story about being crushed was about a lap child.
So it was. Seems the person in front presumably didn't realise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.