Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • £25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • £200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • £50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
I managed to check in on line for my re-booked flight to FRA tomorrow (original itinerary CAI-LHR-FRA). Down graded to Y in order to catch the flight.

Hope my checked bag can be re-allocated to my new flight.

Any one have any advice about anything that can be done to increase the chances of this happening?
Old May 28, 2017, 5:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Quick Q - I assume if the exLHR is canx then so is the return? In which case its 28? Or are their aircraft in the above locations from yesterday that will operate the return?

Have a GLA LHR tomorrow and assume it's one of the more likely to get the chop if necessary
Correct, as a general rule. However GLA is the sort of place which may be an exception due to aircraft positioning or some other factor which means the return flight does actually operate, or they cancel a return flight out of sequence. On longhaul a cancelled outbound will lead to a cancelled inbound, unless they did an empty positioning flight, which did happen yesterday.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:59 am

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
BA 714 - LHR to ZRH is supposed to depart at 12:52. Delayed another 15 minutes. Now departing at 13:10. It's a good thing I never check-in any baggage. My flight is now leaving at 16:35
Old May 28, 2017, 6:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by UAworldwide
I managed to check in on line for my re-booked flight to FRA tomorrow (original itinerary CAI-LHR-FRA). Down graded to Y in order to catch the flight.

Hope my checked bag can be re-allocated to my new flight.

Any one have any advice about anything that can be done to increase the chances of this happening?
At LHR, firstly check when you go through Flight Connections for any information on the bag. Secondly as you go down the airbridge to the FRA service, after the final boarding pass scan, ask the BA staff member half way along to see if they can check your docket. I don't think it's going to improve your chances at that stage but at least you may get some information. Finally, and asssuming you booked via BA.com and close channels, and had your contact details in place (and didn't hammer your privacy settings), switch on your gizmo as you taxi into FRA and check emails / texts for any notifications.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the explanations c-w-s

Plenty of ways to get back down would just rather cancellations if needs be are declared hours in advance not late in the day
Old May 28, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Due to leave for MAN at 09.55 this morning. First flight cancelled and subsequent flight delayed to 14.29. If it wasn't for EU compensation and need for one more flight for my son's silver card I would have headed to the trains. It does look like the SH network is taking most of the pain.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
At LHR, firstly check when you go through Flight Connections for any information on the bag. Secondly as you go down the airbridge to the FRA service, after the final boarding pass scan, ask the BA staff member half way along to see if they can check your docket. I don't think it's going to improve your chances at that stage but at least you may get some information. Finally, and asssuming you booked via BA.com and close channels, and had your contact details in place (and didn't hammer your privacy settings), switch on your gizmo as you taxi into FRA and check emails / texts for any notifications.

Thanks c-w-s for your answer and all your other answers.

I'm already in central London though, having been told to leave the airport 4pm on Saturday afternoon. So I guess ask at check in then? Or is it worth going down to the baggage reclaim earlier (like today for example).

It seems to me that if any bag is in the automated system the computer can link to the booking reference and know the new flight and load the bag? They have 24 hours to do that.... let's see.....
Old May 28, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by UAworldwide
I'm already in central London though, having been told to leave the airport 4pm on Saturday afternoon. So I guess ask at check in then? Or is it worth going down to the baggage reclaim earlier (like today for example).

It seems to me that if any bag is in the automated system the computer can link to the booking reference and know the new flight and load the bag? They have 24 hours to do that.... let's see.....
I really would not go to LHR today, BA have specifically asked people not to do this. Yes, it is possible that it will be linked through and all will be well, but I must admit I would not give it a high chance of succeeding, so you may need to think about how you will manage without the bag for a bit. In your position I would arrive at LHR about 90 minutes before departure time and enquire once you are there.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
My flight was just canceled - BA mobile app and website return errors when I try to rebook. I assume I have not been proactively rebooked on a later flight and best plan to fly today is to book an alternate carrier?
Old May 28, 2017, 6:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gengar
My flight was just canceled - BA mobile app and website return errors when I try to rebook. I assume I have not been proactively rebooked on a later flight and best plan to fly today is to book an alternate carrier?
Probably not, but if you use myflights check the booking on the website or app as if there is a rebooking it may show on there even if you can't get at it on BA MMB or on the BA app.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Depends on the destination and whether other flights are available. It's a bit difficult to give specific advice without specific details, but broadly speaking if you book an alternative carrier that will be for your own expense, however you would get a refund on the BA service if it was cancelled. If you can go on a later flight on BA you best call up, perhaps trying the Bremen number mentioned upthread.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by techie
1) They would provide that as an option, but your colleague does not have to agree to that. Naturally, if he does not then he may incur delays. Did he request PE with AF/LH/AC or just accept the first choice given to him?
I suspect he told them he had to be at TXL early on Monday and they put him on this as the UA flight arrives at 0700.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Update:

Originally Posted by Alex Cruz
...some cancellations ...
73 = some
Old May 28, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The apology hidden in the middle was weak and from an autocue without much compassion.

It's very disappointing he didn't touch on the ways in which customers can buy and be reimbursed for essentials - and any other compensation that may be due
Old May 28, 2017, 6:58 am

Too late Alex, the hi-viz vest has already become a running joke. I recommend adding a hard hat next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.