Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
All IT systems are back up and running and BA are operating normal flight schedules.

PLEASE ASK ALL COMPENSATION RELATED QUESTIONS IN THE DEDICATED TOPIC: The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004. The full list of cancelled and delayed flights for Sunday is to be found here, though note that it is the arrival time that matters for delays.

Successful (or otherwise) reports for claims where the information would be of use to others would, however, be very welcome in this thread.

Monday flight cancellations for LHR listed here. Services to and from LGW, LCY and STN seem to be working more or less on time.. Telephone numbers for rebooking are in this post, note also the difference between what contact centres and airport staff can do, noted here.

Updated 29/05/2017 22:50 (UK time) Link to BA updates: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...VINF4more_news

Baggage
There are a significant number of bags at Heathrow which we will be reuniting with customers via couriers as soon as we can. This will be done free of charge. Please help us to get these to you as quickly as possible by ensuring we have your latest contact details by filing a delayed bag report.

If your journey was disrupted -
Because of the scale of the disruption, most passengers should expect to make their own arrangements to mitigate the disruption as BA will not have resources to assist all passengers. BA have a duty of care under EU Regulation 261/2004 and according to this letter handed out at Gatwick the following costs would usually be claimable from BA.
  • £25 for reasonable meal/refeshment expenses (per adult per day)
  • 2 reasonable phone calls per customer

If an overnight stay is required
  • £200 for a hotel room (for 2 people)
  • £50 Transport to/from the airport (round trip)

Although BA has suggested some guideline costs for duty of care, EU Regulation 261/2004 doesn't specify any monetary cap. By documenting (take a screen capture of a hotel comparison site for example) that there were no cheaper alternatives, it is possible that claims exceeding the guideline costs suggested by BA may be met. Expenses not covered by BA may be claimable from your travel insurance subject to possible policy excesses.

Duty of care is separate from fixed sum compensation (EUR 250 to 600 depending on the flight distance) for flight delays/cancellations, which may or may not be payable under EU Regulation 261/2004 depending on whether BA can show that the flight delay was caused by 'extraordinary circumstances' and that it took 'all reasonable measures' to avoid the resulting delay. Also, airlines do not usually entertain claims for consequential losses (for example, the cost of prepaid accomodation which you can't now use), so you would need to look to your travel insurance for these costs.

EU Regulation 261/2004 does not cover delayed/damaged/lost baggage. The Montreal Convention sets an upper limit for delayed/damaged/lost baggage compensation. For more information, visit the BA.com webpage on delayed/damaged/lost baggage.

You can read the forum thread for guidance on EU Regulation 261/2004 or check back on these forums later for more advice on claiming, but first of all look after yourself during this disruption.

Claiming expenses incurred during the disruption
https://disruptionclaim.britishairways.com/

Historic update as of 18:55 on Saturday

All BA flights from LHR and LGW are cancelled for the remainder of the day (Saturday 27th May). This is due to a major systems outage of most of BA's computer systems. The original cause of the outage was a power failure from which BA has found it difficult to recover.

Because Call Centre systems are also down, and their own web pages may be affected, BA is encouraging affected customer to seek updates via BA Twitter feed and Facebook page.

Alex Cruz has indicated that those passengers who no longer wish to fly with BA on their booking for today will be "fast tracked" for refunds. However, no mechanism for this has yet been communicated (7pm Saturday). Again affected customers are asked to follow the relevant Twitter and Facebook communication channels.

There are reportedly long delays leaving the airport with some customers claiming delays of many hours.
Print Wikipost

27 May 'worldwide' BA IT outage | practical assistance/advice [Clutter-free please]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by Kaveh96
Im on a flight tomorrow in J from Kiev to london and onto Glasgow. Havent managed to get through to anyone on the Gold line, there is a KLM flight leaving and arriving around the same times. I would really love to avoid Heathrow tomorrow.

As i cant get a hold on anyone, would BA reimburse me if I went and bought a one way ticket on KLM? If so would they cough up a business fare?
Go for it
My experience is if you take matters into your own hands and rebook

A. You wil get where you want to go

b. BA will cough up

True your flight is not yet cancelled but chances of it operating are very slim!
Old May 27, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Has anyone heard anything more about the supposed positioning of empty long-haul aircraft tonight? I have a friend who's supposed to be flying back from JNB tomorrow night, but at the moment I can't see any evidence of either aircraft going out there (empty or otherwise).
Old May 27, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: British Airways GCH
Hi all, does anyone have any idea what if any flights will be leaving from LGW and LHR tomorrow? Is it just a case of waiting for BA to publish something on their website?
Old May 27, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Originally Posted by youngfogey
Hi all, does anyone have any idea what if any flights will be leaving from LGW and LHR tomorrow? Is it just a case of waiting for BA to publish something on their website?
We are still waiting
Old May 27, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Has anyone heard anything more about the supposed positioning of empty long-haul aircraft tonight? I have a friend who's supposed to be flying back from JNB tomorrow night, but at the moment I can't see any evidence of either aircraft going out there (empty or otherwise).
Hi,

According to a post on Pprune BA 215 has left for Boston ( and a flight for Brussels ) but no other information.

Regards

TBS
Old May 27, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Silver Elite
BA57 seems to have just taken off from Heathrow so fingers crossed!!!!
Old May 27, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
I doubt they would waste 10 hours flying an empty aircraft given how many people in Heathrow wanting to fly out, including to JNB
Old May 27, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by kirbster73
BA57 seems to have just taken off from Heathrow so fingers crossed!!!!
So it has! It must have come live since I was typing that post. I will pass on the good news, thank you.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Captured just a few moments ago....
Attached Images  
Old May 27, 2017, 3:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by youngfogey
The systems seem to be up, and one thing to be said about today's incident is that most of the hardware will be still in place in LHR/LGW. If I were to make a guess, thereby speculating, then I would imagine:
- most longhaul will operate
- a fair proportion of short haul
- AMS/DUS/BRU/Domestics (etc) vulnerable to any equipment / crew shortage.

And probably quite a few delays.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
....and zero pro-active assistancefrom BA
Old May 27, 2017, 3:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by herbertgoon
....and zero pro-active assistancefrom BA
With the entire system down for much of the day that is unsurprising. Hopefully they will get back to normal tomorrow and get everyone moving again.

What at a dreadful day for everyone affected, staff and passengers alike.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:35 pm

Looking at FR24 is very weird, shows only 24 AC in the sky atm. Not sure what the usual amount it but I'm guessing it's upwards of 60 or 70 airborne.

Looks like BA2063 LGWMRU, BA57 LHRJNB, BA215 LHRBOS, BA33 LHRKUL, BA400 LHRBRU, BA768 LHROSL all got away but did they have passengers onboard?

BA55 & BA802 also moving on the ground.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by TheDinge
I doubt they would waste 10 hours flying an empty aircraft given how many people in Heathrow wanting to fly out, including to JNB
Flying the aircraft means only the ex lhr passengers are disrupted. It also gets the crews in the right place for subsequent trips and prevents Heathrow from grid locking (more than it's going to anyway) tomorrow morning.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:39 pm

Anyone else having problems booking Avios reward flights? Trying to get LAX-HNL-LAX round trip now that some seats opened up on the flights I need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.