Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bring on Board... The exact rules on alcohol? BA allows it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bring on Board... The exact rules on alcohol? BA allows it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, and anything Amex Plat are dishing out
Originally Posted by FrancisA

The problem here is the legacy carrier model has led to an expectation of free food and drink in Y.
BA may claim food & drink was complimentary but free it most definitely wasn't - food & drink used to be included in the Y ticket cost and now it's not.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by NYTA
I have taken mini-bottles with me on more than one flight and poured them over ice or mixers provided by the crew, although I typically will wait until the cart has passed and they are out of sight before removing the bottle from my bag and pouring. Haven't done so for a while but they used to sell all kinds of mini bottles at the TLV duty free.
There is no need to act in such a clandestine manner. It is entirely legal to consume your own alcohol aboard a British registered aircraft provided: (1) you are not drunk; or (2) the crew have not specifically told you must not drink it.

Most LCC prohibit the consumption of alcohol not purchased on board and state it is the law, this is not a legal prohibition per se, it's more to do with revenue protection. It does however become unlawful if a person is drunk on an aircraft (S242(1) Air Navigation Order 2016) or the crew have specifically instructed you not to consume such alcohol (S244 and 245(c) Air Navigation Order 2016).
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
There is no need to act in such a clandestine manner. It is entirely legal to consume your own alcohol aboard a British registered aircraft provided: (1) you are not drunk; or (2) the crew have not specifically told you must not drink it.

Most LCC prohibit the consumption of alcohol not purchased on board and state it is the law, this is not a legal prohibition per se, it's more to do with revenue protection. It does however become unlawful if a person is drunk on an aircraft (S242(1) Air Navigation Order 2016) or the crew have specifically instructed you not to consume such alcohol (S244 and 245(c) Air Navigation Order 2016).
In a bizarre way, I suppose, the LCC crew are both wrong and right at the same time. It is not the law that alcohol not purchased on board may not be consumed per se, but as soon as they give an instruction to all passengers that they may not consume alcohol not purchased on board, presumably it becomes unlawful to ignore that instruction.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Are you allowed to drink your own booze on a train?
Holyrood made ScotRail ban alcohol after 9pm and before 10am. Even bringing it on board, and carrying it in a concealed bag is technically in breach of the byelaws, but Guards won't be rifling through your bags to check!

It's a badly thought out law, as it only applies on ScotRail trains, so you can still drink on the Sleeper, and other operators.

East Coast do ban all alcohol, (and occasionally provide security) on the 0952 from Aberdeen to King's Cross as far as Newcastle. Hen Party Hell.

Originally Posted by East Coast Website
The 09:52 service from Aberdeen to London King's Cross, on Fridays only, will be an alcohol free train until Newcastle. You will not be able to bring alcohol in any form, onto the train, or consume it whilst on board. This policy has been put in place to ensure that all of our customers can enjoy a more pleasant journey.

Virgin Trains East Coast have prohibited the possession of intoxicating liquor from the above mentioned train service.

It is an offence under Byelaw 4(2) of the Railway Byelaws, for any person travelling on the services listed above to be in possession of intoxicating liquor or to attempt to enter any of the above trains with intoxicating liquor.

These changes are reflected in the timetables when planning your journey or booking your ticket using the online booking engine.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by thegoderic
I am such a criminal then.
Depending on the legal definition of "drunk", I am guilty most times I step on an aircraft. And then the crew serve me more.

To crew: Is it more a reflection of behaviour that could be attributable to consuming alcohol and would I know if the crew were concerned about me or not?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
East Coast do ban all alcohol, (and occasionally provide security) on the 0952 from Aberdeen to King's Cross as far as Newcastle. Hen Party Hell.
One of the train guards said to me the reason for the alcohol ban on that service were oil rig workers who'd been unable to drink for weeks on the rig were making up for lost time!

Although hen/stag dos would probably be more likely to be loud and obnoxious.

Interestingly VTEC have an earlier 0752 train which is not subject to the alcohol ban, so those really wanting an early start could still do so and would get into Newcastle at noon ready to continue drinking there.

(I'm assuming those who'd do this aren't reading this and so I'm not giving them ideas)
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It must be very hard for those airlines who don't allow passengers to consume their own alcohol on board to effectively enforce the policy, given that alcohol could simply be decanted into an innocent looking container before boarding?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:47 am

It's definitely the Hen and Stag Dos! Some of the sights you see while seeing them boarding, or already on the train
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
It's definitely the Hen and Stag Dos! Some of the sights you see while seeing them boarding, or already on the train
Fortunately I've never had to travel that route on a Friday (and can count the number of times I've done that route at all on one hand)!

Have you ever taken the earlier train when alcohol is technically still allowed?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by layz
Fortunately I've never had to travel that route on a Friday (and can count the number of times I've done that route at all on one hand)!

Have you ever taken the earlier train when alcohol is technically still allowed?
I tend to get the very early Cross Country from Dundee and change in Edinburgh for the 0830 from there if going to London. Not really a lot of alcohol being brought on by the Kingdom Commuters to be fair!

The only Tea Total train back on 11th November when it was the England v Scotland game, was the usual 0952 as far as Newcastle. Was surprised about that.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:07 am

[QUOTE=CUPPSIT;27785637]Same thing on a Norwegian flight from LGW to MAD this week. Clear announcement from the crew that drinking your own alcohol on board was not allowed.
QUOTE]

Likewise flying Oslo-Longyearbyen with them last summer (so technically a domestic), where they didn't just describe it as not being allowed, but specifically claimed it was illegal under Norwegian law. Followed of course by a reminder that they could legally sell you something from the BoB menu!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
So what would securities typical reaction to a 100ml metal hipflask?

Is there a requirement that the container be some way clear, or xrayable (I assume metal won't be)?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Smid
So what would securities typical reaction to a 100ml metal hipflask?

Is there a requirement that the container be some way clear, or xrayable (I assume metal won't be)?
Good question!

If you get stuck there's always bring your own miniatures!
Who needs shampoo and shower gel?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Good question!

If you get stuck there's always bring your own miniatures!
Who needs shampoo and shower gel?
Soapy vokda!

(Can imagine the headlines about flight diverted due to rabid passenger)
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Bronze!! Hilton Gold
I don't know why, but I always thought this was illegal or against BA rules.

We travelled to MCO 2 weeks ago in WT long haul for the first time, and decided to buy minitures from duty free, in case the drinks trolley was scares on the way out, which is was. The CC seemed so busy, they didn't take notice to be honest.

I suppose if we were causing a scene, things would be different.

Although I have to say on the way back, once the dinner run was over, it was just a case of help yourself from the galley with a lovely CC member handing out drinks. No trouble at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.