Wiki Posts
Search

Cape Town Immigration

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, HHH (Diamond), Le Club (Platinum), Hertz (Gold), Priority Club,
Cape Town Immigration

My wife and I have just returned from a lovely holiday in South Africa thanks to Avios. However I thought that I must warn future travellers of the new immigration procedures in South Africa.
Having had your passport scanned you have your photo taken. You then have to put your four fingers of your left hand on a screen and reposition them until you get four green lights followed by the four fingers of the right hand. You then place your thumbs on the screen. The whole process takes some time.
We arrived from LGW (in Club) a few minutes ahead of the 747 from LHR. We were one of the first into passport control. By the time we left there were probably 500+ people in the queue.
If you are flying into Cape Town, make sure that you get off and move quickly. A few places in the queue can make a big time difference
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Lots of discussion at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...-roll-out.html .
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:08 am

The new procedures are hit and miss. Came through JNB twice in a week two weeks back and they were not doing the biometrics either time.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Sounds exactly like the US system.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I came through JNB in November, and it was much quicker than LHR both going in and coming out.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Avis Presidents Club, Majestic Platinum*
Came into JNB on Thursday morning and no biometrics or other people - through in record time. Benefit of QR arriving 10am after the direct flights have cleared
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
My anecdotal contribution: CPT in November, arriving on QR, just (minutes) after a BA flight. At first they did biometrics but stopped. Had a 15 to 20 min wait. Went rather smoothly. Had I been at the back of the bus, it would have been rather longer. When I was through the line was 10x longer.

Interestingly, they stopped doing the biometrics when I was in the line as they saw the line growing I guess. Or the system was provided by BA and simply gave up.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Sounds exactly like the US system.
I had my biometrics captured on departure from CPT earlier this year. There is one major difference from the US system: the immigration agents in the US operate the biometrics machinery with speed and efficiency.

Fortunately, I've missed this on every other passage through ZA immigration since then.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I came through JNB in November, and it was much quicker than LHR both going in and coming out.
I came through JNB in November on BA, in F, and it took an hour to get through immigration despite the fact they had given up doing the biometric system, although there were plenty of notices about it and how much time it would take.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
For reference only ...

Arrived CPT a week ago around 0750, BA 777 ex-LGW, behind a LH and with a BA ex-LHR already on site. Queue stretched almost to the end of the metal barrier maze. Most booths were open, and doing biometrics. As we reached the front, we were directed to booth #1 which was just manual processing (and took about 30 seconds!). Total time in queue about 45 minutes.

As CW pax, we got on the first bus which did not wait to be filled before heading to Arrivals. Those in Y would undoubtedly have had a much longer delay.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Meet & Assist from DiamondAir is about USD100 at CPT, book easily via Amex concierge. Takes away any surprises.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
Surely it would only be reasonable to give those on direct flights priority as those coming via the Persian Gulf surely relish delays in their journey.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
n

Originally Posted by brightstar100
Meet & Assist from DiamondAir is about USD100 at CPT, book easily via Amex concierge. Takes away any surprises.
USD 100 for jumping the lines? How much ZA wine could you drink for that money?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by quakered
Surely it would only be reasonable to give those on direct flights priority as those coming via the Persian Gulf surely relish delays in their journey.
Every flight is coming direct from somewhere....
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Originally Posted by T8191
USD 100 for jumping the lines? How much ZA wine could you drink for that money?
About 1-bottle if your buying Waterford The Gem or Vergelegen V
Or maybe 3-bottles of Warwick Trilogy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.