Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

biometrics capture at immigration - post to record progress of roll-out

Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:35 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !

Alerted by jeonatl3 in this post, and confirmed in a couple of media reports, RSA is going to capture biometric information (photo, fingerprints) at port of entry.

Apparently it started for int'l arrivals at HLA, but is now rolling out to JNB, DUR, and CPT, with (according to that media report) a 'specific focus... in the transit area at ORT' - good spot jeonatl3!

I think that it might be useful if people can post reports of this roll-out across the airports, and its effect (if any) on immigration queues... knowing ZA, it's likely to make the whole process more painful!

I'm into CPT next week, and will report back from there.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Oh joy! I'm sure this will go well.

Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:07 am

I am sure it can only speed up the immigration queues at JNB...

The morning arrival bank should be a fun new experience in patience.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 4:55 am
Original Poster

last week, CPT

no biometrics on arrival, on departure about half the desks had cameras/fingerprint readers installed and were being used. I was lucky enough to get a non-equipped desk, but I would estimate that the biometrics capture was doubling the processing time...

Doesn't bode well for JNB during the morning arrivals rush
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:14 am

Sorry, I only just spotted this thread!

I had to enrol biometrics on my transit in JNB (came in on a BA flight from London and left on an Air Botswana flight to Gaborone). It was pretty painless but the transit area was very quiet first thing in the morning. I had to give all ten fingerprints as well as a photo. The equipment seemed a tiny bit flaky as I kept having to lift my fingers off the scanners and put them back again to get the little lights to go green. The official seemed a little exasperated - not sure whether it was with me or the equipment! All in all it only took a couple of minutes at the desk.

On the way back I didn't have to give any biometric information so I'm not sure whether that was because I had already given it or whether the equipment wasn't working at that desk.

In between this time I actually entered and left South Africa by road at Kopfontein and no biometrics there either.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: British Airways Silver
Did JNB to GBE last week and no biometrics required. In CPT also none at the moment. It has been rolled out and used at some smaller airports (Lanseria). Once your details have been captured its pretty quick (one photo and one finger) so no real delay.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Arrived 15 Feb in JNB and nothing. Did not notice any equipment in place.

Just that Port authorities were still hanging around with Ebola forms

Oh yes, they were rather specific about the temperature scan, and that camera was manned.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:18 am
Original Poster

last week at JNB

nothing on arrival, but c50% of the desks had them on departure - and told that it would be 100%, for arrival and departure, 'within a month'.

I reckon that it at least doubled time taken, from less than one minute to more than two (UK passport, no visa required).... doesn't bode well.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:52 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
departed cpt 20apr, arrived cpt 26apr

no biometrics being used immigration arrivals or departures in cpt
Old May 3, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Passed through CPT last week, not used on arrival, used selectively on departure.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Entered and exited JNB several times last month. Biometrics on one occasion only, and as per above, the system is slow and buggy.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
No biometrics in or out of JNB on Thursday / Monday (no queues either arriving at 9am and departing at 7pm). Also no checks on hand luggage siize or weight on international departure. All very quick and easy on this occasion.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
I left on the 21st out of JNB and returned on Thursday, 26, and no sign of any biometric equipment.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:08 am

Flying into JNB this afternoon from Harare, we arrived at the same time as Air Mauritius, Etihad, Emirates and probably some more.

I have never seen the arrivals area so crowded. The lines stretched all the way up the escalator to the jetways and to the doors for the bus arrivals. There were signs up apologising for the delays due to biometric rollout. Lots of airline staff walking up and down checking if anyone had domestic connections so they could pull them to the front (via the crew/diplomat line).

After about 45 minutes and barely moving, they abandoned the idea of biometric collection and the lines began to move much faster. I made it out about 75 minutes after landing, but there were easily 500 people behind me in line and more coming in with every arrival.

So yeah, sounds like the worst fears have been realised.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Ouch

When I flew in and out in May, I hadn't even seen this thread, and certainly wasn't asked for any biometrics.

As a SA citizen with a recently reissued passport they have all that already!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.