Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Customer Service Blunder: Wrongly Charged Phone Fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customer Service Blunder: Wrongly Charged Phone Fee

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by henkybaby
That's about change fees.

Edit: sorry, meant to type service fees. It's when you choose to have BA provide you with an additional service on top of the product you're purchasing. For example you prefer to speak to an agent instead of booking online, which would be free.

Now if BA have advertised prices for a ticket from A to B but you cannot, for whatever reason, purchase them online so you have to use an agent, then BA can either not charge that fee or they have to change their advertised price to include the fee, as that is the actual consumer price.
BA doesn't advertise the cost of Alaska redemptions.

It's rather obvious that if BA advertises something at £X you should be able to buy it at £X, but that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with this charge. I know you're now saying you're not referring to this example, but you did specifically say "I agree with the OP" - which implies you were!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Now if BA have advertised prices for a ticket from A to B but you cannot, for whatever reason, purchase them online so you have to use an agent, then BA can either not charge that fee or they have to change their advertised price to include the fee, as that is the actual consumer price.
Is this your opinion or do you have something concrete to back this up?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I agree with the OP that I would also be surprised if I would be charged a fee and probably think it was an error. Doesn't mean I'm right, just that I can understand his line of reasoning.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
Is this your opinion or do you have something concrete to back this up?
Have to look it up, but in the Netherlands you cannot have hidden fees, which would include service fees. They need to be included in the advertised price or clearly mentioned on the same 'page' (for lack of a better word). I'll have a look as soon as I have my new modem operational.

Reason I know this is because I'm actually working in customer service, including sales and BoF. We have clear rules about single channels.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:23 am

Have to look it up, but in the Netherlands you cannot have hidden fees, which would include service fees. They need to be included in the advertised price or clearly mentioned on the same 'page' (for lack of a better word). I'll have a look as soon as I have my new modem operational.
The situation would only arise though if you had a price quote. Can you give an example of where you can price something up on BA.com, been unable to book it online, been forced to call BA to book, and been charged the fee?

In most situations I can think of where the offline fee is chargeable (it isn't hidden) it is precisely because it is not possible to price and complete the booking online, so there is no advertised price to which a fee is added - as in this specific case.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:24 am

Reason I know this is because I'm actually working in customer service, including sales and BoF. We have clear rules about single channels.
Which is exactly the same in the UK. And as I said before, BA do not advertise the cost of Alaska redemptions.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never mind. I was making a general supportive statement towards the OP. I am not in the mood for Internet Debating.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have found in the past if you communicate with call centre agents in a friendly manner ( not smarmy) you can get away without having to pay for many things.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: AS MVP, BA
I have made dozens of bookings with avios on AS metal over the phone. About half the time they try to apply the $25 phone fee per ticket. I politely ask them if there is anyway to remove the fee and they usually ask a supervisor and then it's taken care of.

Never have they said no. Once they said they will do it as a one time courtesy but they have continued to do it many times since.

If you didn't ask at the time of the booking, I feel you have no recourse. It's $25, a cheap lesson learned. I bet you saved some AS miles by using Avios.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I have found in the past if you communicate with call centre agents in a friendly manner ( not smarmy) you can get away without having to pay for many things.
That is my experience in booking AS awards using Avios.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:50 am

If it's true that they charge service fees for providing a service that's not available online how come we never get charged a service fee to book an open jaw Avios redemption?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
BA is totally inconsistent on these fees, and seems to have no real official policy that is enforced. What crappy customer service.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
BA is totally inconsistent on these fees, and seems to have no real official policy that is enforced. What crappy customer service.
Well there is a policy, and if you want consistency you would have paid the fee every time rather than having it waived on a few occasions by kind agents.

However if you prefer consistency I am sure BA will be more than happy to take the fee every time.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by KARFA
Well there is a policy, and if you want consistency you would have paid the fee every time rather than having it waived on a few occasions by kind agents.

However if you prefer consistency I am sure BA will be more than happy to take the fee every time.
Well if that were true, it would be collected every time without any questions. There is no consistency and you just proved my point.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Well if that were true, it would be collected every time without any questions. There is no consistency and you just proved my point.
Yes, but if you had consistency you would but much poorer so be careful for what you wish for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.