Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Document check on a back-to-back - gate staff OK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 3:35 am
dsf
Original Poster

Programs: Nowt of note.

Just checked in for a back-to-back at PRG tomorrow morning, which I'm led to believe is a pretty foolproof location. However I'm being given this message on ba.com:
"Your passport and/or visa(s) must be checked at the airport

We are required by certain countries to check your travel documents before you fly. Please see a British Airways representative at the airport."
for the PRG-LHR leg (and LHR-LAX after). Am I safe to assume the staff at the gate are OK to do this? Better yet, would lounge staff at T3 be able to perform the check and make whatever change is required to the booking to let us board the return leg? It's not my first back to back but I've never had this message for BGO. It is my gf's first, though, and I've been telling her since I booked it that it'll be simple
Old May 25, 2016, 3:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you have your bp then you are fine. A doc check if needed will be done at the gate.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KARFA
If you have your bp then you are fine. A doc check if needed will be done at the gate.
Indeed. Incidentally people should remember that there is always a risk that one won't get their BP for the US if they are one of the random selectees for the day (all f us frequent BA flyers to the US have had that dubious honour at some point of other, and it can be on o/d or connecting itineraries alike).

If that is the case a seemingly sure b2b could become the next FT horror story...
Old May 25, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed. Incidentally people should remember that there is always a risk that one won't get their BP for the US if they are one of the random selectees for the day (all f us frequent BA flyers to the US have had that dubious honour at some point of other, and it can be on o/d or connecting itineraries alike).

If that is the case a seemingly sure b2b could become the next FT horror story...
You've got me thinking now, would the best course of action were that to happen be to still take the outbound flight be in the B2B airport without a boarding pass for the flight back and just say you've lost it? That must happen all the time.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gomac
You've got me thinking now, would the best course of action were that to happen be to still take the outbound flight be in the B2B airport without a boarding pass for the flight back and just say you've lost it? That must happen all the time.
The main thing is you need to be checked in - if that is done then yes you can get your bp at the gate. For a b2b you should go through the following:
  1. Try OLCI
  2. Try check in on the app
  3. May be worth phoning BA if 1 & 2 don't work just to check there is no obvious issue like it is awaiting a ticket re-issue
  4. If 1/2 don't work try ask the check in agent at LHR or the BA lounge staff to check you in for your XXX-LHR and issue a bp.
  5. If 3 doesn't work ask the BA staff to call XXX and check you in with the intention to collect your bp at the gate - although if you have time once checked in try downloading the bp on the app or at ba.com
  6. TO ONLY BE USED IN EXTREME CASES - if you are not checked in by the time you board your LHR-XXX ask the BA cc to call ahead to XXX and get you checked in, again you can collect your bp at the gate at XXX
Old May 25, 2016, 4:34 am
dsf
Original Poster

Programs: Nowt of note.
Thanks for the responses. Mind(s) now at ease (though not helped by the ESTA website telling my gf she didn't have a valid application, until we put the middle name in the "do not put your middle name in here" box...)
Old May 25, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
It is worth mentioning that I was unable to get a return PRG BP today via the app without a document check at PRG at the check in desks, which was quite frustrating!
Old May 25, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I did a doc check at LHR for my SFO flight recently, before flying to OSL - still had to do doc check at OSL again for some reason... (Though I had BP)
Old May 28, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic

That (not being able to get your boarding pass) happens to me often enough to be annoying, including on purely US domestic flights. As in one flight out of four.. which is why I signed up for Global Entry/PreCheck. No more hassles.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by FlyingGames
It is worth mentioning that I was unable to get a return PRG BP today via the app without a document check at PRG at the check in desks, which was quite frustrating!
That's interesting. I know that the online BA.com boarding pass will still come out, it just prints the text in the middle section of the page. This is for FLY departing locations (i.e. pretty much everywhere from August 2016). If the App doesn't come out at all that would be very much a nuisance and actually I think we would have seen more reports here - was it an unusual ticket? So I wonder: if you had (e.g.) emailed the boarding pass to yourself, whether the App version would then have downloaded?
Old May 29, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Airports where arrivals and departures are mixed, and the gate can issue a BP?

Originally Posted by KARFA
The main thing is you need to be checked in - if that is done then yes you can get your bp at the gate. For a b2b you should go through the following:
  1. Try OLCI
  2. Try check in on the app
  3. May be worth phoning BA if 1 & 2 don't work just to check there is no obvious issue like it is awaiting a ticket re-issue
  4. If 1/2 don't work try ask the check in agent at LHR or the BA lounge staff to check you in for your XXX-LHR and issue a bp.
  5. If 3 doesn't work ask the BA staff to call XXX and check you in with the intention to collect your bp at the gate - although if you have time once checked in try downloading the bp on the app or at ba.com
  6. TO ONLY BE USED IN EXTREME CASES - if you are not checked in by the time you board your LHR-XXX ask the BA cc to call ahead to XXX and get you checked in, again you can collect your bp at the gate at XXX
Of course you can only collect your BP at the gate if it is an airport where arrivals and departures are mixed. Otherwise, without a BP you cannot get through security to return to the gate. I have twice been unable to get a BP for a return from DUB, and the second time getting BA staff to call DUB and check me in was met with some resistance. (Incidentally once this is done BA staff can issue your BP.)

So for minimum risk use an airport like SVG where arrivals and departures are mixed, and the gate can issue a BP. Can BA gate staff at all airports check you in and issue a BP?
Old May 29, 2016, 2:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nbevan
Can BA gate staff at all airports check you in and issue a BP?
No, they can't.

It's not usually the equipment but it's sometimes the case that differently trained staff operate the gate from check-in. So the person on the gate simply doesn't know what to do.

Smaller airports such as SVG aren't a problem as you highlight, since it is invariably the same staff. So you may have 2 people on check-in, then at one hour before departure when the queue has typically gone, one person works their way over to the gate, followed by the other one after check-in has closed at T-45 minutes. But in larger airports you sometimes get the check-in staff fixed in place for the whole shift and another team of staff at the gate.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
[QUOTE=gormless;26695702]That (not being able to get your boarding pass) happens to me often enough to be annoying, including on purely US domestic flights. As in one flight out of four.. which is why I signed up for Global Entry/PreCheck. No more hassles.[/]

Is this the same check as needing the passport scanned at the desk next to south security at t5? I just go there automatically bp or not as i rarely get a us bp - even with Ge. Typically i am transiting the us though. Am i being daft and wasting my time when i do get a bp (in the past the bp scanner at security would throw a hairy fit it i didn't get the pport scanned). I always wondered why there was never a queue at the desk...
Old May 29, 2016, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by jcm9000
Am i being daft and wasting my time when i do get a bp (in the past the bp scanner at security would throw a hairy fit it i didn't get the pport scanned). I always wondered why there was never a queue at the desk...
You probably do need to do this if going to the USA, but as FLY rolls out - it's already in place in EDI for example - if you print the boarding pass it will say if you need the check or not. And they can do it in EDI, the Gail ladies can help you there. DUB I think isn't yet FLY (?) but will be shortly, and should be able to do it, but typically they don't if you just pass by the gate and don't check-in.
Old May 29, 2016, 3:31 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Thanks CWS, i've never noticed anything saying a scan is needed (i of course recall the dreaded SSSS, but not seen that in years), it will be a case of me not paying enough attention as ever. I'll keep wandering to the pport desk, no harm done for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.