Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Add return to 2-for-1 booking with mixed class and open-jaw

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond

Currently have LHR-AUS booked in F, under a 2 for 1 redemption.

I'm looking to add JFK-LHR to that (as an openjaw return) and quite fancied the babybus...is it possible to do this as that would be J?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Yes, that should be no problem. But it will, of course, have to be done by phone.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You can certainly mix up the booking classes on 2-4-1 but rarely see BA1-4 on reward availability. If it's showing then I'm sure you can book it
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze. Skywards: Silver
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar question. If I use a 2-4-1 from LHR to Dallas and then Calgary to Lhr, how would the avios be calculated?
Would each segmented by calculated as one way avios redemptions? Therefore costing you more avios and thus a 'inefficient' way of using a 2-4-1?

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Our dates aren't until May 2017 for the return so can't check them yet, but just did a random search for March 2017 and it was there (which is what gave me the idea).
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by dood125
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar question. If I use a 2-4-1 from LHR to Dallas and then Calgary to Lhr, how would the avios be calculated?
Would each segmented by calculated as one way avios redemptions? Therefore costing you more avios and thus a 'inefficient' way of using a 2-4-1?

Thanks!
Redemptions are costed by sector, so it makes no difference if you book a roundtrip or two one-ways for the number of Avios required. There may be a difference in taxes and fees however, as trips originating from North America generally have a higher cash component.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze. Skywards: Silver
Ahh thank you!
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Bronze!! Hilton Gold
Again sorry to Hijack .. But can 2-4-1 be used to do it in different zones ... Ie... LHR - HKG SYD - LHR?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
As long as HKG-SYD is not longer than either LHR-HKG and SYD-LHR, then yes. So in your case, you can do it. Might need to find the right agent though.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Woody12354
Again sorry to Hijack .. But can 2-4-1 be used to do it in different zones ... Ie... LHR - HKG SYD - LHR?
Yes that's fine.

What you can't do apparently is *change* to a different zone, e.g. you can't book LHR-HKG//SIN-LHR and then change to LHR-HKG//SYD-LHR - that would require cancellation and rebooking I think. [Is that right, oh wise FTers?]
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Yes that's fine.

What you can't do apparently is *change* to a different zone, e.g. you can't book LHR-HKG//SIN-LHR and then change to LHR-HKG//SYD-LHR - that would require cancellation and rebooking I think. [Is that right, oh wise FTers?]
As stated by BA6501 above, to book with a 241, the open jaw must be smaller than either of the other jaws.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...41-routes.html

Once booked a 241 can only be changed within the same zones as the original redemption. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...h-hkg-sin.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-open-jaw.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...zone-rule.html
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Woody12354
Because LHR-SYD and SYD-LHR tend to go very quickly, my experience has been that it's easier to book LHR-SYD first and then (later, if necessary) add HKG-LHR. There are other ways of bridging the gap from SYD to LHR.

However, as others have already said, the underlying answer is that this routing is no problem at all. I haven't encountered even a moment's doubt from any agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.