Do BA Still Play Boarding Music?

Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Question Do BA Still Play Boarding Music?

I've heard many of people who work with me say that BA plays boarding music, but I have never heard any music on-board. In-sight on this please.

Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:39 pm

Short answer, yes.

But firstly it seems to be limited to long haul aircraft, and secondly they don't always turn it on. Probably a 50/50 chance of it being turned on, and I assume there could be an even lower chance since I reckon some of the aircraft don't have the facility anyway.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Do you know what, I think they do? It's the sort of thing you only notice subconciously unless the music is really great or really grating.

Only reason I recall it is I remember thinking how British it is of BA to play classical-ish music, whereas other on other airlines I've noticed it's usually a bit more 'modern'. It was inoffensive enough, I'd say.

This was on two recent loghaul flights.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Silver
I was on BA for the first time a couple months ago for four flights (2 long haul, 2 short) and I remember the music on two of those flights, probably the long haul flights. I think it struck me as I remember hearing it before and trying to remember where, and it was the same music they play while you're on hold with them.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:47 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Came back from MAD two weeks back and boarding music was played including the "traditional" BA tune. (Flower Duet from Lahkme). Suspect that it depends on the senior crew member.

Last edited by OPebble; Jun 20, 2010 at 12:59 am
Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Flew to and from ANU a couple of weeks ago and the music was on then....
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:31 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Yes, they play the same, tedious Flower Duet music approx 50% of the time during boarding. It does my head in. I really get sick of hearing it. Luckily there seems to be some cabin crew discretion as to whether it's on or off.

(I am a musician, so I am not anti-music, but I am am anti-the-same-music-each-time-without-variation).

At least with BMI you generallly get random pop hits when you board, rather than BA inflicting the same tedious tune all the time.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:54 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by beardedgeologist
Yes, they play the same, tedious Flower Duet music approx 50% of the time during boarding. It does my head in. I really get sick of hearing it. Luckily there seems to be some cabin crew discretion as to whether it's on or off.

(I am a musician, so I am not anti-music, but I am am anti-the-same-music-each-time-without-variation).

At least with BMI you generallly get random pop hits when you board, rather than BA inflicting the same tedious tune all the time.
I've not had any boarding music, shorthaul or longhaul, for the last couple of years. I miss it - I've done 10 sectors in the last 3 weeks and heard no boarding music at all.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Blue

If you think BA are bad, try flying Jetstar in Australia (Qantas' LCC), they play their annoying themetune none stop throughout the entire boarding process.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Your experiences are very different to my own. I rarely hear music played on board BA nowadays but when I do, the crews seem to favour Antonn Dvořk's Serenade for Strings in E Major, Op.22, II. Tempo Di Valse and Op.22, III. Scherzo, Vivace.

It has been years since I last heard the Flower Duet played. Agree with you though, playing the same track day in, day out can become tedious. Just think of the poor OS crews who have to listen to Strauss's Blue Danube repeatedly each day.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I would rather NOT have boarding music on.

IB tend to play their boarding music on with the volume on high!. At least I learnt that Christmas carols/songs had the same tune in English as they were in Spanish - or it may have been an English tape after all.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I had 5 BA sectors last week, and 4 of those had boarding music - return flights to MAN and EDI. CDG-LHR did not have boarding music.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Urgh...Flower Duet is cringe-inducing. Not heard it in a while now on the 747 or 777s I have been flying.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
BA's boarding music isn't too bad. I heard really awful, headache-inducing boarding music on a recent flight on an airline. I cannot remember which one, but I suspect it was Jetstar International. It was highly annoying, and it was quite loud too.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
I like the Flower Duet. It reminds me of flying home on BA when my iPod plays it on shuffle.

However - the acoustic guitar remix on the phone lines is starting to grate, but that's probably because the longer one has to listen to it the more irritated one gets that they're not answering the phone...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.