Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IT outsourcing prediction

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Anything customer facing, to be honest:
But none of things you deservedly listed are actually under the remit of the IT directorate. Almost nothing you might consider as 'customer facing' is covered by IT - except perhaps the hardware.

Most of your list is ba.com, one Operations, one Avios. They're all system issues, yes - but not owned (or fixable) by IT as BA labels it.

The departments that do own the faults you list - they're not being outsourced, although they already probably do have outsourced consultants that they use when they want/need to. However, the outsourcing that is being proposed will have no effect on fixing your hot buttons.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA

But none of things you deservedly listed are actually under the remit of the IT directorate. Almost nothing you might consider as 'customer facing' is covered by IT - except perhaps the hardware.

Most of your list is ba.com, one Operations, one Avios. They're all system issues, yes - but not owned (or fixable) by IT as BA labels it.

The departments that do own the faults you list - they're not being outsourced, although they already probably do have outsourced consultants that they use when they want/need to. However, the outsourcing that is being proposed will have no effect on fixing your hot buttons.
Whatever BA call's its departments and who looks after what is of little relevance/interest to the customers who are forced to use the shoddy systems provided. 'IT' or not, its poor systems in the customer's eyes, and I for one will hope that any outsourcing could improve the customer experience. I will not hold my breath, of course.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Whatever BA call's its departments and who looks after what is of little relevance/interest to the customers who are forced to use the shoddy systems provided. 'IT' or not, its poor systems in the customer's eyes, and I for one will hope that any outsourcing could improve the customer experience. I will not hold my breath, of course.
I agree with this 100% but........

There is a lot more to BAs operation than this stuff. If BA.COM is down or people can't claim avios of login to their exec club accounts, thats an issue. But think about all the critical operational systems - baggage, crew scheduling, catering, route planning, air worthiness certs, engineering and parts etc etc

Airline IT systems are complicated.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
ba.com is nothing more than an interface between you and several back-office systems. Some of them (probably the ones you interact the most with) ancient and not developed or maintained by BA.

BA IT is more about the infrastructure: HR systems, ERP systems etc. Think more 'maintenance management', warehouse management, financial systems, etc. They will keep the management of ba.com in house, I would guess.

And this of course:

Originally Posted by capin
There is a lot more to BAs operation than this stuff. If BA.COM is down or people can't claim avios of login to their exec club accounts, thats an issue. But think about all the critical operational systems - baggage, crew scheduling, catering, air worthiness certs, engineering and parts.........
We typed at the same time.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Outsourcing rarely improves the quality of IT systems. What it does achieve, is a lower and generally more predictable cost of ownership for the customer of the outsourcer e.g. BA. That's why outsourcing is called 'your mess for less'. It's not a bad thing per se, but the outsourcer is often mismanaged by the customer leading to dissatisfaction on both sides.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
And as I was writing my reply, the other browser tab I had open to get into MMB on ba.com now says 'sorry our systems are not responding right now'
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:58 pm

I agree with this 100% but........

There is a lot more to BAs operation than this stuff. If BA.COM is down or people can't claim avios of login to their exec club accounts, thats an issue. But think about all the critical operational systems - baggage, crew scheduling, catering, route planning, air worthiness certs, engineering and parts etc etc

Airline IT systems are complicated.
Originally Posted by henkybaby
ba.com is nothing more than an interface between you and several back-office systems. Some of them (probably the ones you interact the most with) ancient and not developed or maintained by BA.

BA IT is more about the infrastructure: HR systems, ERP systems etc. Think more 'maintenance management', warehouse management, financial systems, etc. They will keep the management of ba.com in house, I would guess.
Absolutely - BA is full of frontends, backends and bookends.

But what normal customer gives a monkeys about all of the systems required to get an aircraft into the air (literally), when they have such difficulty processing a simple ticketing transaction on an airline's website?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:08 pm

Absolutely - BA is full of frontends, backends and bookends.

But what normal customer gives a monkeys about all of the systems required to get an aircraft into the air (literally), when they have such difficulty processing a simple ticketing transaction on an airline's website?
True. I would however be interested to see a comparison of other airlines MMB equivalent and see if for example how often Uua would work and if after reissues changes still work without speaking to a contact centre agent and them doing it manually.

I say this because as far as im aware for the majority of Oneworld carriers their reservation systems and back end part of MMB are all Amadeus based like BA.

The only exception i'm aware of is AA who use Sabre instead.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Anonba
I would however be interested to see a comparison of other airlines MMB equivalent ...
I sometimes wonder whether those who complain vociferously about ba.com use other airlines' websites as much as they use ba.com.

Of course, ba.com isn't perfect. And some individual airlines' websites do some individual things much better than ba.com does. But reading some of the constant whinges on here, you'd be forgiven for thinking that BA was offering the worst airline website in the world.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by bullroot
That's why outsourcing is called 'your mess for less'.
Some outsourcing....

There is:
Your service, your way (your mess for less)
Your service, our way
Our service, our way

And many variations / degrees. As a side note, if your processes are well organised, outsourcing 'your service, your way' works great. Your mess for less only applies if your service is a mess already, after all.

What BA should not do / never have done is outsource development and CS to the same country as Infrastructure Management (lets say India). That never works but most companies do this because they think it is more cost effective or more logical. CS I would establish in PH.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Does this really have anything to do with this forum at all?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by matthandy
Does this really have anything to do with this forum at all?
Yup, and when all the systems are on their asses and the marquees are up outside T5, it will be even more relevant.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: Gold Mega Legend
Yup, and when all the systems are on their asses and the marquees are up outside T5, it will be even more relevant.
This is all pointless speculation. Virgin Atlantic also outsourced a large chunk of their IT operation to TCS and I'm yet to hear of a complete systems meltdown on their end.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
I am surprised it has taken BA this long to make this decision to outsource IT work and very common practice for large corporations. For western companies that do outsource this type of work to India its usually front line level 1/2 helpdesk support and software development.

As for using TCS as a supplier, here is a small list of clients they currently work for.

http://www.tcs.com/about/corp_facts/...s/default.aspx

I am wondering if BA or even IAG are doing a complete overhaul of their systems to allow better integration and management for all their carriers by adopting new technology solutions such as Cloud.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by revan
This is all pointless speculation. Virgin Atlantic also outsourced a large chunk of their IT operation to TCS and I'm yet to hear of a complete systems meltdown on their end.
Actually, Virgin is in the process of migrating many customer facing and reservations components to utilize systems provided by Delta. Not all, but many.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.