Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 First - Incorrect USB Socket Alignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 First - Incorrect USB Socket Alignment

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:48 pm

It's the same in all modern WT/WT+ cabins I've flown in too, I've always noticed it and it's kind of frustrated me
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
\o/ I'm not alone! I wonder if the new 787-9 cabin has fallen into the same trap.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:58 am

Just off AA38, operated by a 77W, it's the same in 1G, so it's not just BA.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The USB spec requires that the logo be at the top of the plug. If it isn't the device doesn't meet the spec and is not entitled to use the USB trademarks, including the name USB and the logo.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by elwe
The USB spec requires that the logo be at the top of the plug. If it isn't the device doesn't meet the spec and is not entitled to use the USB trademarks, including the name USB and the logo.
The USB logos are trademarked so can be protected in this way. There is no trademark protection on the accronym USB so there is nothing stopping anybody using the term USB regardless of the orientation of the connector. The othe question arises, what happens if the connector is vertical?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:34 am

I must admit that I originally disagreed with the OP of this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ine-earth.html

Having read this thread, however, I must now agree with him .
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by elwe
Surely, if it's upside down, then you can't see the logo - and ergo, problem solved?
Originally Posted by SteveF
I must admit that I originally disagreed with the OP of this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ine-earth.html

Having read this thread, however, I must now agree with him .
I'm reminded of my favourite recent T-shirt sighting:-
I've got CDO.

It's like OCD.

Only all the letters are in alphabetical order, WHICH IS EXACTLY HOW THEY OUGHT TO BE!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dilpat84
I've come to learn that despite most people being frustrated at not being able to plug a USB cable in correctly the first time around, it's actually very easy to tell which way it should go in as the logo is always printed/embossed/engraved on the 'top' of the male end of the cable.
From what I can see my telly USB slot or USB drive have no such logos on them.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
From what I can see my telly USB slot or USB drive have no such logos on them.
That's because you should be looking at the cable, not the socket
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
That's because you should be looking at the cable, not the socket
Oh I see.
That's far too technical for me.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

When the inventor of the USB stick dies they'll gently lower the coffin, then pull it back up, turn it the other way, then lower it again.

*Not my joke by the way...
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I have to admit that on our A380 flight back to LHR having drank all of the pairing wines with the tasting menu I couldn't even find the USB slot
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
I have to admit that on our A380 flight back to LHR having drank all of the pairing wines with the tasting menu I couldn't even find the USB slot
Sounds like someone has their priorities right. Is there a thread on the tasting menu? I have my first A380 flight next year and would like to find out a bit more about it.

Edit: I have found out there is

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ting-menu.html
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by kanderson1965
Sounds like someone has their priorities right. Is there a thread on the tasting menu? I have my first A380 flight next year and would like to find out a bit more about it.

Edit: I have found out there is

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ting-menu.html
I posted the BA208 tasting menu photos on BA food thread. I have some photos of the BA209 menu but (ahem) retired hurt before I finished but I have the F menu which I will publish
Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
It's the same in all modern WT/WT+ cabins I've flown in too, I've always noticed it and it's kind of frustrated me
I can confirm that this is true...flew WT+ on the A380 today and was saddened at having to plug my cable in upside down*

*Disclaimer: I wasn't really. But am still surprised BA managed to get such a minor detail wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.