Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Report Published] BA2276 LAS-LGW B772 G-VIIO aircraft fire Las Vegas airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I saw this in this forum before any news sites. Cool.

Edit, cool for the site, not the fire, crazy fire.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Seems the emergency happened very early during taking off - very lucky! Sounds like Captain and crew did what they needed to do.

Surprisingly.... Sky News are showing before and after images. The plane is still in one piece (albeit not particularly airworthy). The photos of the engine/plane, on fire, aren't pretty.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Internaut
Seems the emergency happened very early during taking off - very lucky! Sounds like Captain and crew did what they needed to do.

Surprisingly.... Sky News are showing before and after images. The plane is still in one piece (albeit not particularly airworthy). The photos of the engine/plane, on fire, aren't pretty.
Link for the pics? Morbid curiosity.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Glad everyone made it off OK. Definitely scary stuff, and they are saying it was an engine failure right before V1. Kudos to the fast acting pilots/FA's.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by mdj1
Can't believe there are people with their hand luggage!
Amazingly this happens frequently in such incidents/accidents (I assume that damage will be significant enough for this will be rated an accident by NTSB). A combination of stupidity, deficiencies in pre-departure safety briefings, lack of audible reminders as the aircraft clears, and passengers being in shock.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
And almost every passenger is seen with his carry on...

https://twitter.com/DomworthNo1/stat...01647059472385

So I guess we would too probably. Unless we are totally different. Maybe in a panic some instincts take over.

Looks more serious than a simple tail pipe fire...

Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Wow, crazy. Glad that all are safe. Here is a recording of the ATC conversation and mayday calls:

https://clyp.it/jrvdzhrw

Interesting about the carry-on. Seems to be a recent phenomenon with Asiana 214, this flight, etc. Seems as more and more valuables - both tangible and intangible (e.g., data on hard drives) gets carried with people, people are more inclined to take it with them.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Alitalia STE+
+1 for all the praise comments for the LGW crew. Excellent job done by the initial looks of things.

Being the 30th anniversary of the tragic MAN British Airtours runway fire, I expect some comparisons to be drawn in the press probably - hopefully very positive ones too given the outcome of the fire here.

Last edited by bowlingformatt; Sep 8, 2015 at 6:50 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by henkybaby

So I guess we would too probably. Unless we are totally different. Maybe in a panic some instincts take over.
I was on the BA flight at Phx a few years ago that was evacuated, ppl were throwing bags down the chutes and taking pics and videos at the bottom of the chute.

pretty obvious this plane was on fire, why tf would you stand near it??
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by henkybaby

Looks more serious than a simple tail pipe fire...

Henky following the manager of a stripclub on Twitter, who'd have thunk (sic) it

Wonder if location of flames means engine was spewing oil out towards fuselage which was what was burning... (That or someone had their iPhone in the hold)
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by airplanegod
... they are saying it was an engine failure right before V1.
So possibly just a brake fire then? I hope it wasn't an engine fire directly caused by the failure, because there could be a lot of grief to be copped for that!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by williamd
I was on the BA flight at Phx a few years ago that was evacuated, ppl were throwing bags down the chutes and taking pics and videos at the bottom of the chute.

pretty obvious this plane was on fire, why tf would you stand near it??
Clearly it didn't happen unless they got the instagram shot
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by mikekelley
Wow, crazy. Glad that all are safe. Here is a recording of the ATC conversation and mayday calls:

https://clyp.it/jrvdzhrw
How terribly calm and British... ^
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: BA gold
Overhead photo of the plane after the fire was put out in this Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/TomNews3LV/statu...03959094063105

Smaller example:
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut
Not sure why you suggest that the aircraft is not airworthy. It may or may not be, but I haven't found any photos to suggest that damage to the airframe is anything other than smoke. Could simply be a case of swap the engine, give it a good cleaning, and return to service. Or it could be that the engine fire caused actual damage to the airframe. We'll know soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.