Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 199/198 Changed to 3-class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:22 am
Original Poster

I've just discovered that my flights to/from BOM in early February 2016 have changed to from a 4-class to 3-class 777.

By discovered I mean that I signed into my account to find a red banner with "these flights have been cancelled". Which of course they haven't; we've just been assigned CW seats on exactly the same flights .

Anyway, a quick scan of alternative dates showed that this is not just a few days, but appears to be for a couple of months or more, with the 4-class returning on about 27 March.

Does anyone know why and the exact date range when the 3-class will be operating before I call and try to get the dates changed?

Edit: It appears that BA199 on Thursdays and BA198 on Fridays is still a 4-class throughout the period of 3-classishness

Last edited by SteveF; Jul 12, 2015 at 8:45 am
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
I am on 198 in November and Myflights(.com) informed me that my seat changed from 2A to row 17. Logged in and secured 62A.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

All sorted; switched from Tuesday/Wednesday flights to Thursday/Friday and back in seats 2K/3K. Very helpful agent; he had to get permission from supervisor to free up non-existent award seats ^. 31 min phone call, including a 20 min hold, which was better than I expected. Now I've just got to change the hotel...
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Cheers.
Logged in to check my 139 early Feb, now on 747 vice 777. Upstairs 62's bagged. ^
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gonesouth
Cheers.
Logged in to check my 139 early Feb, now on 747 vice 777. Upstairs 62's bagged. ^
So the early flight is now a 747 and the later one is a 3-class 777. Except on Thursdays when it's a 4-class . Both revert to 4-class 777s later in the year...
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
So is my flight. It is a 2-4-1 redemption.

Before I phone up to and change things around, what are my options:

1) can I ask for a refund without penalty (this is tempting as I was thinking of cancelling anyway).

2) I am assuming my Avios refund will be 25k as it was a pre-change booking.

3) as a silver member (will be Gold in month), shall I phone now and ask for potential change of date and opening up of revenue for redemption seats or wait until I became Gold?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by d3vski
So is my flight. It is a 2-4-1 redemption.

Before I phone up to and change things around, what are my options:

1) can I ask for a refund without penalty (this is tempting as I was thinking of cancelling anyway).

2) I am assuming my Avios refund will be 25k as it was a pre-change booking.

3) as a silver member (will be Gold in month), shall I phone now and ask for potential change of date and opening up of revenue for redemption seats or wait until I became Gold?
Mine was a 241 too, so:

1) Not 100% sure; but I think yes.

2) If that was the pre-change difference then I would think so.

3) It shouldn't make any difference; I'm a blue and they did it for me. The previous time it happened to me (also on a 241 as a blue) an agent actually called me out of the blue (this time I didn't even get an email) and offered a refund, the Avios difference or a change of dates irrespective of award availability. Personally I wouldn't mention opening up award availability; I'd just tell them that you want to switch dates (or cancel and get a full refund) and take it from there if they say there's no award availability for your chosen dates.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 1:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by SteveF
By discovered I mean that I signed into my account to find a red banner with "these flights have been cancelled". Which of course they haven't; we've just been assigned CW seats on exactly the same flights .
Glad you got it resolved but I still can't understand why the airline can't email people to tell them. They have our details after all
Old Jul 12, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

I had the same thing for my flight in May this year. Had a heart stop moment when they sent me an email with cancellation.
More worrying was the big red banner in MMB which never went away for the months until the flight date.
Mine was a 2-4-1 too and during the rebooking the agent managed to "refund" the 2-4-1 as well as the avoid, so I now have a 2-4-1 to use again.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by highpeaklad
Had a heart stop moment when they sent me an email with cancellation.
Maybe it's another example of email problems affecting some people. I receive e-ticket emails but never seem to receive RED BANNER notifications by email.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Maybe it's another example of email problems affecting some people. I receive e-ticket emails but never seem to receive RED BANNER notifications by email.
Has anyone?

Speaking personally, I've never had a single sms, email or phone call from BA to tell me if any flight, covering Y to F, has been cancelled or moved. Ever.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Has anyone?
highpeaklad has (three posts up) which made me think I was the unlucky one? Perhaps it's more widespread if you have the same problems darth.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
highpeaklad has (three posts up) which made me think I was the unlucky one? Perhaps it's more widespread if you have the same problems darth.
Maybe I have NSFCOCA as well as NSFU on my account?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:41 pm

Maybe I have NSFCOCA as well as NSFU
I'd take yourself off to the doctor in that case
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Has anyone?

Speaking personally, I've never had a single sms, email or phone call from BA to tell me if any flight, covering Y to F, has been cancelled or moved. Ever.
I get the lot. My longhaul flight yesterday was cancelled and I got Red Banner on App and BA.com, App notification, SMS, email and telephone call, all within 5 minutes. Though the speed of this was remarkable, I've been getting this sort of notification for about a year now. It was particularly interesting that they managed to do this when LCY runway developed a pothole and the airport was shut for about 4 hours - I found out from BA before it came up on Flyertalk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.