Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ex-EU: Check in bag for AA TATL sector from LHR the night before

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:19 am
Original Poster

I have an upcoming ex-EU, doing a back-to-back on day 1, home, then AA TATL on day 2.

Ordinarily I'd fly HBO, but I'd like to cycle to the station to get to LHR on day 2 and that isn't too easy with my wheelie bag.

So, will it be possible to check the bag in with AA directly at T3 for the TATL leg on day 1 (so the bag skips the s/h legs and is held overnight in LHR)? Obviously I could use left luggage but would rather not if I can do it the free way. I'm GCH if that helps.

Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
I'm afraid AA will not do this for you.

However- you can take the luggage with you to your Ex-EU destination and when checking in- ask them to tag it all the way to your final destination so that you don't have it on your stopover at LHR (so long as the flights are within 24hours of each other).
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Bags making a back to back are dependent on the length of time the aircraft sits at the outstation. If the aircraft is there for about 25 minutes (think DUB with a delay on the inbound), your bag, having made it successfully off the aircraft, won't find it back on. There's no option for "leave the bag on the plane and don't take it off".

Go HBO and save yourself the hassle.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't believe that it is generally possible to either check a bag for a flight the next day or to check it so that it routes back through the same station, e.g., LHR. Additionally, as noted above, bags are off-loaded, sorted and then loaded on their next segment which may be back onto the same aircraft. But, that does not take place in the hold with a handler reading each tag.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Yes to be clear I wasn't intending to take anything on the back-to-back (HBO or otherwise).

My query was about whether I could check in a bag (that I would otherwise be taking as carry-on) for the TATL a day in advance, purely for the reason of not wanting to carry it with me to LHR the following morning.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Yes to be clear I wasn't intending to take anything on the back-to-back (HBO or otherwise).

My query was about whether I could check in a bag (that I would otherwise be taking as carry-on) for the TATL a day in advance, purely for the reason of not wanting to carry it with me to LHR the following morning.
Not in my experience. I've checked in a bag from LHR - JFK whilst I flew LHR - DUB - LHR on a back to back, but all three flights were on the same day. Left luggage is an option?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Rather than start a new thread, can I (without hijacking this thread) ask a supplementary :-

Flying BA LHR - MAD on BA in the afternoon and then on the next morning to on AA to MIA, on separate PNRs (first is a BA PNR and second is an AA PNR). If I wanted to would I be able to through check the bag from LHR to MIA ??
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I have an upcoming ex-EU, doing a back-to-back on day 1, home, then AA TATL on day 2.

Ordinarily I'd fly HBO, but I'd like to cycle to the station to get to LHR on day 2 and that isn't too easy with my wheelie bag.

So, will it be possible to check the bag in with AA directly at T3 for the TATL leg on day 1 (so the bag skips the s/h legs and is held overnight in LHR)? Obviously I could use left luggage but would rather not if I can do it the free way. I'm GCH if that helps.

Thanks.
From personal experience... AA will NOT check you in the day before. You would need to put your bag at Left Luggage.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

They have no overnight storage; they won't accept a bag on the day prior to the flight. So, you will have to use left luggage as taking it with you on a back-to-back isn't going to work for the reasons upthread.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Rather than start a new thread, can I (without hijacking this thread) ask a supplementary :-

Flying BA LHR - MAD on BA in the afternoon and then on the next morning to on AA to MIA, on separate PNRs (first is a BA PNR and second is an AA PNR). If I wanted to would I be able to through check the bag from LHR to MIA ??
This is definitely possible from BA to IB on separate PNRs (I've done it myself) so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be from BA to AA.

When you arrive in MAD it's worth just having a quick word with an IB agent who can check the bag is in the system, but you shouldn't have any problems.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paul4040
Bags making a back to back are dependent on the length of time the aircraft sits at the outstation. If the aircraft is there for about 25 minutes (think DUB with a delay on the inbound), your bag, having made it successfully off the aircraft, won't find it back on. There's no option for "leave the bag on the plane and don't take it off".

Go HBO and save yourself the hassle.
Checked bags can do a back-to-back occasionally - but not as a normal event of course

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...un-not-63.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.