Wiki Posts
Search

My First First

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, GM; HHonors, Gold
My First First

So last week I experienced my first first - LHR to JFK on a 747. Seat 2K. We had a very long layover in LHR from BCN so I was also lucky enough to be able to have the full CCR experience, including Elemis Spa treatment, several glasses of LPGS, private cabana, terrace, and lunch in the restaurant (since this was most likely going to be my ONLY first, I wanted to try EVERYTHING!)

I must be fortunate as my experience, from start to finish, was stellar. Every BA staff person we encountered was involved, exceedingly polite, warm, smiling, and attentive. I SIMPLY COULD NOT HAVE ASKED FOR MORE. I was frankly surprised, after reading the BA forum for the past year, that everything was so perfect. I was expecting at least one or two inattentive or even surly staff persons. I had the duck salad and sea bass for lunch (excellent, perfectly cooked, I HATE overdone fish). For dinner onboard the plane, I had the bangers and mash (although I'm American I adore traditional English food) and they were delicious. I was asked regularly what else I might enjoy. The plane seemed super-clean and everything operated properly. Our luggage was delayed (the ONLY hiccup), but was delivered to our hotel in New York within 24 hours.

Alas, although I have a healthy mileage balance, due to the significant taxes, this may be my only first, but I've got the jammies to remember it by.

Thanks to everyone on the BA board for putting up with my overeager, frequent questions. Your responses certainly helped us plan for and therefore thoroughly enjoy our experience!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GGL
It's lovely to hear that you had such a nice experience and fingers crossed you do manage more in the future
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Glad you enjoyed - sounds like a good experience and it's nice to hear of those. God knows we hear enough stories of when things go wrong around here!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Kimmielou01 this is great to hear I've done First (as leisure I might add). On 773, 744 & A380 in last six months, all we're very good indeed. I'd almost let myself believe it could be terrible reading the mixed reviews here, but was not. I think 744 was my favourite bagging 1A and 1K to sleep in
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:19 am

Bet it won't be your only F

Did you try the Infinity Baths in the T5 Arrivals Lounge...?

Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had my First First recently - return to DXB. Mixed views from me really. I found the CCR completely underwhelming. Service was very poor - there were plenty of people milling around but getting someone to take an order was a pretty arduous task, and there were dirty dishes and glasses all over the place. I was only in there in the morning until 12.00 so only tried the breakfast menu - the Eggs Benadict was ok, but very small, and I had the full english a bit later, which was very good. I do think they should start serving the lunch menu from 11.00 though. The best bit was the champagne, which was delicious! I too had a treatment at the Elemis spa, which again was somewhat underwhelming and I wouldn't bother again.

On board it was a different story, and the service was fantastic although I didn't think the seat was that much of a step up from CW (it still felt quite narrow, and I'm on the small side). Food on board was ok - all very tasty, but I didn't really think a beef stew was particularly 'First class'. The best sounding option of duck wasn't available (I think they only loaded one as the cabin was half empty), so this was the best of a pretty sorry bunch. I did get the box of chocolates (wow, they were good) without having to ask and all in all really enjoyed the flight. I would certainly consider travelling F again, because the service was so attentive and it really was made to feel like a premium experience, although I probably wouldn't bother on an overnight - at least a short one like the DXB route, when I think there's probably not much difference between F & J if you're not planning on staying awake all night and eating and drinking.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, GM; HHonors, Gold
Originally Posted by oscietra

O geez, no! I missed that one! Well, I guess you're right...I'LL JUST HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Great news. Im glad you had a good experience.

I too have always enjoyed F. I suppose happy people don't generally post when things go well, which is a shame really.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:06 am

My wife and I did LHR to JFK in first two weeks ago in First (2a and 2k) and this was our 5th in First with 241 vouchers. Our experience was also great. My wife was in 2a and she had Ant and Dec behind her (who were very friendly) and behind them was Liam Neeson who wanted to be on his own.

We like the Concorde Lounge. Our flight was 13.10 and it was not mad busy. We thought the food was good and I had the sea bass. The cabin staff were brilliant and the flight was very smooth. I actually watched three films on the journey out. From getting out of the plane and through immigration was only 6 mins 30 seconds.

I also was a little concerned from what I have read on this forum. Perhaps we are easily pleased. I am not a wine buff but I had the chianti which was very good.

Coming home it was the same great experience and I slept for 90 mins which for me is great as I find it hard to sleep on a plane.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oscietra

Wowsers! I've never actually found the T5 arrivals lounge (probably through lack of looking properly tbh), but I might when I'm next arriving in LHR. Do you have to book a bath (e.g. like the Elemis spa treatments)or can you just rock up?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Like I've said, when BA are good, they're very good, with service levels that rival the Gulf and Far East carriers. I think that's why we're disappointed when they don't.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Are the baths just for F pax? Where are they in the lounge?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Just googled and found this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ls-lounge.html looks like anyone can use them but F get first dibs.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:47 am

The staff can be less than keen to let you have one, as I imagine they take a lot longer to clean.

But handy if you have lots of time to kill (they take a long time to run)and I've never yet been brave enough to try out the full "infinity" functionality.

You can read more about ways to maximise your First experience here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13303132-post21.html
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Thanks, Lucanesque.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.