Wiki Posts
Search

CX or JL redemption from HKG-LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
CX or JL redemption from HKG-LAX? / SYD-LAX options

Looking at various redemption options from HKG-LAX.
Options appear to be CX F for 105000 Avios + £50 or JL (Japan Airlines) in J to Marita and then F to LAX for 95000 + £60.

Time isn't an issue here so any preferences?

Last edited by xenole; Apr 5, 2015 at 12:52 pm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
I prefer JAL F to CX F, although both are obviously excellent. JAL wins on food in particular I think.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I prefer CX F to JL F but then I'm not a huge lover of seafood, I have friends who feel differently and they often choose JL or NH because of that. Personally speaking, I also prefer to fly whichever airline uses that airport as a hub, so I'd choose CX departing from HKG and JL from NRT, etc. I have 3 CX F flights this year, none in JL F and a 50/50 split between the two in intra-Asian J
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:03 am
Original Poster

I've already got CX F booked from JFK-HKG and 15 hrs is a good time to experience that

Only thing that puts me off about JL is the food. Not sure if I could eat most of what they serve.....I'd look at it, maybe take a bite and then politely leave it.
Don't really want to go for a boring western menu of steak (unless the Wagyu type)
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Looking at other options.

I'm hoping to be in Sydney at some point and then I need to be in LA.
Ideally Qantas F SYD-LAX for 150k + £261 would have been my first choice by that's not available anywhere near my dates.

No idea if there are any other options on that route, but SYD-HKG and then HKG-LAX works for me.

I can fly QF J for 50k + £91? or CX J for 50k + £61 on the SYD-HKG route, both let me use the QF F lounge (well the gold card does).
Then CX F for 105k + £51 (or is it £61 and £51 from SYD).
Can spend a couple of days in Hong Kong as well.

Not sure whether to book that now before it inevitably vanishes or hold off on the slim chance a direct QF flight appears (probably won't have the Avios available at that point though and I'm guessing they don't instantly reappear if I were to cancel the existing bookings)
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by xenole
Looking at other options.

I'm hoping to be in Sydney at some point and then I need to be in LA.
Ideally Qantas F SYD-LAX for 150k + £261 would have been my first choice by that's not available anywhere near my dates.

No idea if there are any other options on that route, but SYD-HKG and then HKG-LAX works for me.

I can fly QF J for 50k + £91? or CX J for 50k + £61 on the SYD-HKG route, both let me use the QF F lounge (well the gold card does).
Then CX F for 105k + £51 (or is it £61 and £51 from SYD).
Can spend a couple of days in Hong Kong as well.

Not sure whether to book that now before it inevitably vanishes or hold off on the slim chance a direct QF flight appears (probably won't have the Avios available at that point though and I'm guessing they don't instantly reappear if I were to cancel the existing bookings)
155k Avios + taxes indirect in J/F seems like a pretty good deal compared to 150k + taxes direct in F. Also to keep in mind that redemptions rates change at the end of this month, so if you were booking after then, it could be quite a it more costly Avios wise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.