Wiki Posts
Search

Do you have a BA _only_ flight policy?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Do you have a BA _only_ flight policy?

We see a lot of suggestions here that many folks are bound to fly BA because their corporate policy mandates they must use BA and no one else.

Is this a widespread policy? I am rather skeptical—I'd have thought the smaller players would not get a deal with BA and the larger players would get deals with several carriers.

Prove me wrong.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I don't have a BA-only flight policy and in fact, of the many frequent flyers I know who work in a large variety of places, I don't know a single one who has.

I might imagine such a policy for very small companies, but as I mentioned in other threads already, all the experiences that I am aware of are of places which tend to have multiple corporate contracts (global, route based, and/or class based) with a large variety of airlines.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
No...
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:53 am

No - but we have a WTP over 7 hours policy - which on the transatlantic routes we fly generally limits us to BA or Virgin (although AC are now an option on select days to YYZ).
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Yes, and applied with brutal efficiency.

When BA is fully booked (this happens frequently on the LHR-HKG) our only option is rearrange meetings to work with available flights or to waitlist
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Taylor Street Baristas
Absolutely not and just posted something very similar on another thread. We have deals with pretty much everyone. BA is rarely in policy in any direction unless you can find the loopholes.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
Yes, and applied with brutal efficiency.

When BA is fully booked (this happens frequently on the LHR-HKG) our only option is rearrange meetings to work with available flights or to waitlist
Out of interest has the reasoning for this been explained to you? I suppose a preferential rate which blows the competition out of the water?

We often favour the cheapest however I have final say and can use a variety of excused to choose who I like as long as the price isn't drastically different.

The only requirement we have similar is that it has to be a recognised airline. I couldn't take a local flight from Tibet to Nepal where your likely to be outnumbered by livestock on the manifest, if they had one. Same applies for taxis, we are not allowed to take Uber and has to be a recognised company.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:16 am

Yes - my previous employer (a UK based multi national company) had a BA policy and received a substantial rebate.

As a result it was enforced and there had to be good reasons for not using the airline.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Short answer no.

I'm interested reading other requirements for business travel in the private sector, working in Government we have a policy that you can only book J for flights over five hours, otherwise Premium Economy is the way to go. No F under any circumstances, even if you get an Op Up you have to notify them...
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Never worked with a client who had a BA only policy even those which are BAs top 5 customers and getting substantial rebates.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
One of my previous ones did, but only for European travel. Transatlantic it was AA because of a global policy. On my Asia/Pacific travels, it was open to whoever I wanted, and I started out with Qantas, but once BA brought in the flat beds in Club World, I shifted most of my flights to BA. I say most because I enjoyed Qantas' meals more, so I'd start a flight out of Australia on QF and switch to BA for the overnight to London.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Out of interest has the reasoning for this been explained to you? I suppose a preferential rate which blows the competition out of the water?

We often favour the cheapest however I have final say and can use a variety of excused to choose who I like as long as the price isn't drastically different.

The only requirement we have similar is that it has to be a recognised airline. I couldn't take a local flight from Tibet to Nepal where your likely to be outnumbered by livestock on the manifest, if they had one. Same applies for taxis, we are not allowed to take Uber and has to be a recognised company.
There is a fare discount - it’s not much, 10% I think and only applicable to long haul. There is also an annual rebate plus two Prem cards. Sadly, neither are assigned to me

I believe it is possible to deviate from our corporate policy but the process was engineered to be so blinkin’ protractive its just not worth the effort. That said, we do fly on other airlines when our routing takes us beyond BA’s reach.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I once had a customer who insisted on buying me BA tickets, even when the prices I was seeing were easily favouring other carriers. Turns out they received an annual rebate from BA which was a minimum of 10% but increasing dependent on spend. Obviously in their interest to channel as much as possible BA's way. This was 6 years ago and has since changed though.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Prospero
There is a fare discount - it’s not much, 10% I think and only applicable to long haul. There is also an annual rebate plus two Prem cards. Sadly, neither are assigned to me

I believe it is possible to deviate from our corporate policy but the process was engineered to be so blinkin’ protractive its just not worth the effort. That said, we do fly on other airlines when our routing takes us beyond BA’s reach.
It sounds like such an inefficient policy to me! I have known of companies with much bigger discounts than what you describe and even they did not have a single airline policy. I hope that not many companies do the same as yours or else I would start to understand why BA is taking passengers for granted and can't be ar*ed to make an effort to retain them! I have known a similar attitude to what you describe from some French companies with explicit or implicit "AF only" policies and have never understood that either.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Certainly not. I can book anything I want as long as its nearer the cheaper end of the range of prices (too far from this end of the range needs justification by times, less/better changes etc). I started flying mainly BA because we used to have a premium economy policy and that limited choice somewhat. Since the policy has been improved I've stuck to BAEC but most of my flights are now on other OW metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.