Search

Earning TPs on OW partners in I class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Earning TPs on OW partners in I class

Hello

Currently looking to book flights to Amman with BA but the prices have taken quite a leap recently, so am instead looking at OW partner Royal Jordanian.

We normally get business tickets for a decent price with BA, and one benefit is that with the number of times we fly this route per year, we qualify for Silver which is hugely useful.

Unfortunately, all the decent priced flights with RJ in Business are I class tickets. Looking on BA's site, only D,C,J fares earn TPs. So although the product is great (new 787s) we wouldn't be credited with Executive Club TPs and won't qualify for Silver as usual this year.

What confuses me though is why, as far as I can tell, only RJ flights (plus one or two others) don't qualify for TPs when flying in discounted business. Flying with nearly all other partners offers a much less restrictive array of options in terms of fare types that are valid for TP accrual. Any particular reason for the discrepancy and is it something that is reasonably dynamic (ie, can I cross my fingers and hope BA changes this policy some time soon)?

Thanks

Odai.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The marketing / operating airline has to pay BAEC for the Avios to be credited.

It's usually thought that earning carve-outs normally occur when the marketing / operating airline (eg RJ) doesn't want to pay the frequent flyer scheme in the light of the rock bottom nature of the booking class concerned. Different airlines will reach different conclusions about this, hence the variety of earning / non-earning class tables.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
It's been this way for a number of years now, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to be changed anytime soon. Whether or not the exclusion of I class was an oversight/mistake doesn't really matter if BA/RJ don't change it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post20466440
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-points-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-class-rj.html
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys!

I guess I'll have to try and give RJ a phone call to see what is the cheapest price I can get for C/D/J fares.

Longing for the days of BMI. It seems prices have risen since Easyjet stopped operating to/from LGW too, even though it's a different market segment.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Figured I'd bump this thread after noticing an update on the following page:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-avios/flights

It seems that at some point since I last posted BA have updated the rules to allow I class flights with RJ to earn TP points. This is great news, especially given how much more expensive CW to AMM seems to be these days. Although the prices on RJ have taken a little bit of a hike too, just not as much as the BA operated flights.

Apart from slightly better prices, flying RJ means access to the T3 lounge, rather than the (much worse IMO) Galleries lounge in T5. There is also the 787, which I have yet to experience.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:02 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Some good news
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Odai
Figured I'd bump this thread after noticing an update on the following page:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...-avios/flights

It seems that at some point since I last posted BA have updated the rules to allow I class flights with RJ to earn TP points.
Still nothing on Malaysia Airlines for I class though.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gcuk
Still nothing on Malaysia Airlines for I class though.
Do MH actually use I as a booking class?

The cheapest biz fares I've seen with them are in Z.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Cymro
Do MH actually use I as a booking class?

The cheapest biz fares I've seen with them are in Z.
That is correct, MH doesn't use I classes as far as I know.

MH's dirt cheap Biz fares always maps to Z class, which is fortunately fully accurable on BAEC.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
That is correct, MH doesn't use I classes as far as I know.

MH's dirt cheap Biz fares always maps to Z class, which is fortunately fully accurable on BAEC.
Not quite. MAS books UUA style upgrades from Enrich and their version of AUP into I class, and so no benefit, as is generally the case with redemptions and non BA metal paid upgrades. The one slight problem is that some multi airline itineraries can end up being booked into I if the issuing airline has a legitimate reduced cost I bucket for business. AY was a well known operator of this since they have very good priced deals from Europe to Asia, but would tack on a MAS sector also in I.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not quite. MAS books UUA style upgrades from Enrich and their version of AUP into I class, and so no benefit, as is generally the case with redemptions and non BA metal paid upgrades. The one slight problem is that some multi airline itineraries can end up being booked into I if the issuing airline has a legitimate reduced cost I bucket for business. AY was a well known operator of this since they have very good priced deals from Europe to Asia, but would tack on a MAS sector also in I.
Thank you, c-w-s, for correcting that mistake.

I blame my ignorance of such details on my inexperience in purchasing interline tickets.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks, worth looking out for that. Presumably MH codeshares booked on AY flight numbers in I are ok, it's just MH prime flight numbers that are no good?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Thanks, worth looking out for that. Presumably MH codeshares booked on AY flight numbers in I are ok, it's just MH prime flight numbers that are no good?
Correct, so AYxxxx and in I fare class would get AY's allocation of TPs and Avios. MH prime in the I bucket is not so good.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:59 am

Actually I see it's not just AY fares that do this; BA may also book you into I class on MH. The following is bookable on ba.com for example, with both MH legs in I and therefore earning no TPs or avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.