Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Busy signal calling to book BA award??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Busy signal calling to book BA award??

I have a complex itinerary that can't be booked online (open jaw, companion pass, etc) and have been calling BA for the last several days. I keep getting a busy signal when I chose the "Book with Avios" option. Finally got through this evening after 12 consecutive calls to the 1-800 number. Any ideas what's up with this?

I had to wait a bit for a rep, and have no problem with this. I had done all of my research prior to calling, so it was really just a bit of an annoyance and strange based on my (limited) past experience with them. The prior 3 award tickets I've booked with them have been very easy, the reps (sounded like they were in the US) were extremely helpful and knowledgable even in cases where I had done limited research.

Did BA move their whole phone system to India along with their booking agents? Just strange to get a busy signal again and again with a company this size. I hope it's not affecting the line for people with disrupted travel arrangements...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I don't know what day you were calling (I am assuming from the US), but I had similar problems on Monday. Exec club line was just engaged after selecting options.

I had an email from BA asking me to call them...didn't get any sense from the Indian call centre - they were telling me my flight was cancelled (which was confirmed as complete rubbish).
Later that day I decided to book a multi city trip with 1 leg UuA, after some failed attempts I did finally get through to the Exec Club Blue line (in Newcastle) who were extremely helpful, grabbed the last two remaining award seats and booked it all no problems (also waiving the booking fee as it couldn't be done online).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
There is no US call centre anymore, the last one closed in 2013, with calls being distributed between DEL, NCL and MAN.

Awkwardly, even before JAX closed, the manpower at the remaining centres has not been at the level required to handle the call volume, although colleagues from UK call centres say recruitment has been ongoing (indeed, ba.com/careers has recently had openings for MAN and NCL).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

I don't know what day you were calling (I am assuming from the US), but I had similar problems on Monday. Exec club line was just engaged after selecting options.
I was calling today (March 5th), but also tried yesterday and Sunday and got the busy signal. It took several tries to get through to the hold music. Just thought it was odd.

Originally Posted by JAXBA

Awkwardly, even before JAX closed, the manpower at the remaining centres has not been at the level required to handle the call volume, although colleagues from UK call centres say recruitment has been ongoing (indeed, ba.com/careers has recently had openings for MAN and NCL).
I did wait on hold for about 15 minutes today when I finally got through. The lack of manpower doesn't explain the busy signal though. System issue? I don't know. Good to hear they're recruiting!

I must've booked through JAX previously. This was my first Avios booking since booking my honeymoon in April 2013 and that was the call (and the bookings prior) that seemed to be with folks in the US. No complaints actually about the call once I got through today. The rep was polite, spelled everything back to me in the phonetic alphabet and waived the phone booking fee. No complaints there, though I imagine it could be worse if I were trying to book without already knowing which flights were open.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:42 pm

Try HKG or SIN call center

I waited 45 mins or I just gave up. I ended up calling long distance to HKG and SIN call center, and they answer within 10-15 mins max. I booked my west coast to Hawaii trip using AS and do not need to pay phone booking fees.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxchan
I waited 45 mins or I just gave up. I ended up calling long distance to HKG and SIN call center, and they answer within 10-15 mins max. I booked my west coast to Hawaii trip using AS and do not need to pay phone booking fees.
How do you reach a different call center? I'll try searching the forum now, but never occurred to me to do this.

I'm just glad I'm booked up for Thanksgiving in Eastern Europe!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Called the gold line 3 times this week and each time have been speaking to a human within 4 minutes.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
I'm in the USA EST, I try to call late around midnight and usually get an agent within 1-2 minutes. Calling during the day can take 15-45 minutes. I have gotten the busy signal sometimes during peak times as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.