Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access at T5

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Is this only true at heathrow?

According to the above, if I arrive at TXL on a Club Europe flight and am getting on an Air Berlin flight (any class) then I should be able to use the lounge in TXL. Is this true as the "manage my booking" lists lounge access for the BA flights but not for the air berlin flight
BA and OW rules differ somewhat. Per the OW rules one needs to be connecting to from a J/F longhaul flight while BA allows lounge access when connecting to from a CE (shorthaul J flights).

Originally Posted by killerrock
Thanks for the welcome folks. Appreciate the response CWS. I an suprised that the policy is not clear on this, as I guess this must happen often. Given the depth of experience on this site, was hoping to find folks who have been thru the grind.
The policy is clear - the departing long haul flight determines lounge access eligibility. Neither OW nor BA rules specifically allow lounge access prior to an otherwise ineligible longhaul flight when connecting from an eligible longhaul flight. However, I know many instances when people were allowed lounge access when connecting between two BA longhaul flights.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks.. just so that I understand this, you are saying that BA policy is to only allow lounge access @ Heathrow, if you are connecting to a long haul BA flight in Business/First?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Just to clarify, I am flying Club World on the incoming flight to London and flying on World Traveller Plus on the outgoing from London. Both BA long haul flights
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by killerrock
Thanks.. just so that I understand this, you are saying that BA policy is to only allow lounge access @ Heathrow, if you are connecting to a long haul BA flight in Business/First?
For those without status that is a good summary. However there are a host of exceptions hence our collective failure to answer your question in simple terms. I will see if I can find the lounge management in the next day or two and I will report back.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:10 am
Original Poster

I just spoke to British Airways customer care & according to them I should be able to access the lounge.. But I do know the folks manning the lounge have a mind of their own..
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The Air France lounge is arguably better, it's not so decrepit that's for sure. Golds and higher seem to be welcomed, Silver and non BAECs are often invited to go upstairs to Air France. They know they need to admit BAECs so it's not a high push, but I've seen it happen and staff have explained it is due to payment issues internally within the airport. The Exklusiver Wartebereich is luckily barred to BAEC members!
As a Berlin resident travelling a lot domestically, I obviously use AB a lot as a BAEC Gold. Too much risk of LH pilots going on strike during the past few months...

And from experience with an AB BP, a smile, a British accent and a BAEC status card will get you into either AF or BA lounge at TXL.

So how do they check out against each other?

AF is usually less crowded: especially around mid-day when - on some weekdays the BA lounge is overfilled - you will find BA, FI, QR, RJ and AA (to JFK on AB codeshare) passengers crowding the BA lounge out a bit. The lounge is not scaled up for that many people

The AF lounge staff are also very attentive. Dragons less "dragony" and the ven bring you a top-up for your drink

BA lounge has the advantage of having one flight of stairs less, the offer of sarnies, a choice of red and white wines and as pointed out on another post Czech Budweiser!

That said the decor of the BA lounge is a disgrace - did they get the threadbare furniture from a second-hand shop?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
That said the decor of the BA lounge is a disgrace - did they get the threadbare furniture from a second-hand shop?
Well having been pilloried by the Germans that the London Olympics would be a fiasco, I think BA lounge management made the mistake of thinking the new BER airport would open on time. Or at least in the same year. Hopefully in the same decade..... There is a word for this, but it escapes me.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:57 am

I think BA lounge management made the mistake of thinking the new BER airport would open on time. Or at least in the same year. Hopefully in the same decade..... There is a word for this, but it escapes me.
Well actually the new aiport WILL be in use next year!! Not many people know about it!

http://www.berlin-laeuft.de/airport_night_run-Home.html

I shall be doing the 21km run on April 18 2015 (using runways completely uncontaminated by aircraft)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Well having been pilloried by the Germans that the London Olympics would be a fiasco, I think BA lounge management made the mistake of thinking the new BER airport would open on time. Or at least in the same year. Hopefully in the same decade..... There is a word for this, but it escapes me.
^ Hmmm, that's a difficult one. I'm trying to think of the word myself, but it's elusive....
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:22 pm

Can't find the word myself...

In German, we would need two words for that and they would be something like:

jahrzehntelangandauernde Zivilverkehrsflughafenseröffnungsterminüberschreit ung

The first one is an adjective, the second a noun

Translation:

decade-arching-delay-in-the-opening-date-of-a-civilian-airport
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think the main problem is from or to domestic when connecting to or from a CE flights, especially where the booking is an RFS.
Almost without fail, when connecting from CE to domestic (no status) the lounge agent tells me 'I don't think this will give you access'.

Every time, I smile sweetly and ask 'would you mind trying', and every time I get the green light.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:40 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
The Air France lounge is arguably better, it's not so decrepit that's for sure. Golds and higher seem to be welcomed, Silver and non BAECs are often invited to go upstairs to Air France. They know they need to admit BAECs so it's not a high push, but I've seen it happen and staff have explained it is due to payment issues internally within the airport. The Exklusiver Wartebereich is luckily barred to BAEC members!
My recollection from a few years ago is that the BA lounge does not have its own toilets. You have to exit the lounge and walk a couple hundred feet on the upper terrace and then you use a public toilet. Does the AF lounge at least have its own toilets (and maybe even showers)?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by BLG
My recollection from a few years ago is that the BA lounge does not have its own toilets. You have to exit the lounge and walk a couple hundred feet on the upper terrace and then you use a public toilet. Does the AF lounge at least have its own toilets (and maybe even showers)?
Yes AF has toilets, but going down to the basement isn't necessary, just use those in Starbucks over the landing, wooden door on the side of the wall. [Crikey, why on earth do I know that???]
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:23 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Yes AF has toilets, but going down to the basement isn't necessary, just use those in Starbucks over the landing, wooden door on the side of the wall. [Crikey, why on earth do I know that???]
Yes, that's right, the Starbucks, I remember now!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
As a Berlin resident travelling a lot domestically, I obviously use AB a lot as a BAEC Gold. Too much risk of LH pilots going on strike during the past few months...

And from experience with an AB BP, a smile, a British accent and a BAEC status card will get you into either AF or BA lounge at TXL.

So how do they check out against each other?

AF is usually less crowded: especially around mid-day when - on some weekdays the BA lounge is overfilled - you will find BA, FI, QR, RJ and AA (to JFK on AB codeshare) passengers crowding the BA lounge out a bit. The lounge is not scaled up for that many people

The AF lounge staff are also very attentive. Dragons less "dragony" and the ven bring you a top-up for your drink

BA lounge has the advantage of having one flight of stairs less, the offer of sarnies, a choice of red and white wines and as pointed out on another post Czech Budweiser!

So AF sounds like the clear winner! What about the wine situation in there? I can't believe Britain would beat France there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.