Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has anyone managed to get BAEC to start membership year early?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

Ok, so I'm aware that there's a potential exception for BA to grant you a couple of extra weeks on the membership year to hit status, but has anyone ever managed to convince BA to bring forward the start date by a fortnight?

I have two long haul trips coming up either side of the membership year end. Starting early would allow me to hit 600TPs in a matter of weeks and then give almost 2 years membership. If the date can't be brought forward then I'm constrained in choice of route to hit the target and also have to take an extra BA flight....
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Ok, so I'm aware that there's a potential exception for BA to grant you a couple of extra weeks on the membership year to hit status, but has anyone ever managed to convince BA to bring forward the start date by a fortnight?

I have two long haul trips coming up either side of the membership year end. Starting early would allow me to hit 600TPs in a matter of weeks and then give almost 2 years membership. If the date can't be brought forward then I'm constrained in choice of route to hit the target and also have to take an extra BA flight....
From personal experience my year has been both shortened and lengthened by a few days so there is precedence - and I believe the limit is 2 weeks. They will only do it on the phone.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Two weeks would clear things with a day to spare

Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
No chance in my opinion. Can you imagine the headache they would cause themselves if they allowed this? Good luck though if you try it.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So I have one poster offering fact and another offering opinion.

Hmmmm..... I wonder who I should listen to
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:01 am

It doesn't really matter to whom you listen. It's the BAEC agent you have to worry about.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:38 am

If we constrain contributions on FT to fact only it would be a very small forum! As I said earlier, good luck and look forward to hearing the outcome.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

Nicci when she was BA Executive Club said that this was not possible. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ship-year.html
I am receiving a considerable increase in requests to change membership years and I thought it might be helpful to post some general info on this.

The 3 most commons requests are as follows:

1) Members wishing to change membership years for individual members in Household Accounts i.e so that the membership years are aligned for the household

2) Members wishing to extend their membership year to give them longer to attain the next tier or renew their current tier

3) Members who wish to end their membership year early so that Tier Points can be carried forward to a new membership year to stay longer at tier for longer

Unfortunately we cannot extend membership years or change the date when your membership year ends. This is not technically possible and requests cannot be granted whether you contact your local service centre or via pm here. The only exception is where a flight will be taken within 2 weeks of your membership ending and in this scenario we will review this on a case by case basis and can offer a 2 week "grace" period.
See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ship-year.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ear-end-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-forward.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Nov 3, 2014 at 10:34 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Don't all membership years end on the 8th of the month so bringing it forward/pushing it back by 2 weeks would not be technically possible?

I think it is possible to ask BAEC to grant status on the basis of future travel (within 2 weeks) but it is not possible to ask them to count flights as if they were taken in the new membership year.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Don't all membership years end on the 8th of the month so bringing it forward/pushing it back by 2 weeks would not be technically possible?
So it does. You learn something new (and probably useless) every day.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Why don't you just remove the BAEC number from the earlier trip (i.e. the one occurring 13 days before the year end) then wait for the year end TP reset and then add back the trip in a month or so. I doubt BA could retrospectively add the points to a previous year and therefor the TPs would add to the following year which is what I believe you are wanting.

I realise this could mean removing status benefits from the existing trip but as you would be making Silver I presume the flight is in non-Y cabin anyway.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lee_Again
I doubt BA could retrospectively add the points to a previous year and therefor the TPs would add to the following year which is what I believe you are wanting.
They'll add them to the current year and then immediately reverse them out again based on the date flown. So it wouldn't work.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
They'll add them to the current year and then immediately reverse them out again based on the date flown. So it wouldn't work.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I think it is possible to ask BAEC to grant status on the basis of future travel (within 2 weeks) but it is not possible to ask them to count flights as if they were taken in the new membership year.
That was my thinking too. It's one thing asking for an extension to cover future flights. Asking for a reduction in the membership year is something completely different and very unlikely to succeed.

Apart from lioneye's report, I've never heard of this before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.