Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any chance of fiddling with membership year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze

Having had very little flight activity recently and foreseeing even less (parental leave) my status will be dropping from Silver to Bronze in December 2014, and from Bronze to Blue in December 2015. As my travel will pick up in September 2015 with a ~500 TP trip I was wondering if there is any chance of voluntarily bringing forward the end of the membership year to September 2015 so that my 2015/16 flights worth in excess of 1,500 TP will all be within the same membership year? Thanks, ps
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold

It's possible but it would probably be easier to form your own airline and over years of agonising work create a FF programme with the year end you want.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think stevieed may be slightly exaggerating how easy it is. Effectively there is a 2 week fiddle factor in there, so you can ask for that timeframe to be taken into account for any status retentions, but that is about it. You could investigate reincarnation options, but that involves losing your lifetime TPs and Avios, as you would expect. Basically BAEC won't do it.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Leaving aside whether is is possible (and BA have reported that this would be more difficult to achieve than world peace), our ex-Lurker has categorically stated that BA will not even entertain the idea.

Quite a few people, me included, have asked the question. In my case I asked for a one-off readjustment to year ends to align my account with my wife's. This used to be possible under the old system with a bit of planning when your year of status started the moment the TPs credited.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
Originally Posted by planestupid
Having had very little flight activity recently and foreseeing even less (parental leave) my status will be dropping from Silver to Bronze in December 2014, and from Bronze to Blue in December 2015. As my travel will pick up in September 2015 with a ~500 TP trip I was wondering if there is any chance of voluntarily bringing forward the end of the membership year to September 2015 so that my 2015/16 flights worth in excess of 1,500 TP will all be within the same membership year? Thanks, ps
On the plus side, although there is certainly no chance of having your membership year altered, you will be clocking up 500 TPs in September, and therefore (assuming you meet the 4-flight BA metal requirement) you will only need another 100 TPs before November to get you back to Silver.

Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:07 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE

Over the last 2 years BA have switched my year end by a few days each time but I doubt would extend this to a few months.

They only deal with this on the phone and have to refer it while you wait.

Mind you, 2 days after they agreed to do it on the phone I received an email saying any switch was not allowed so I'm waiting with baited breath now!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:32 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Lioneye
Over the last 2 years BA have switched my year end by a few days each time but I doubt would extend this to a few months.

They only deal with this on the phone and have to refer it while you wait.

Mind you, 2 days after they agreed to do it on the phone I received an email saying any switch was not allowed so I'm waiting with baited breath now!
Just to clarify - BA don't switch your membership year by a few days but they will provide a 2 week extension which is manually adjusted and doesn't in fact change your membership year. They will always end on the 8th of a specific month. I don't think I have seen anyone be refused a 2 week extension.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:46 am

As others have said, a two week extension is easy. Shortening your membership year by three months is just not going to happen.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
It's a planestupid request, I'm afraid.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As others have noted BA Executive Club has stated that BAEC will not do this. See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19596476-post1.html

See your previous thread asking a somewhat similar question:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...aby-break.html

See also these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tart-baec.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ear-end-2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-forward.html
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:10 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
from Bronze to Blue in December 2015. As my travel will pick up in September 2015 with a ~500 TP trip
If you don't care about lifetime tier points, then all you need to do is close your BA account by writing to BA in July 2015, then open a new account later on.

I have just done this in order to achieve Silver in 1 month, but would otherwise have had 300TP across 2 years. My old account was closed 1 week after posting the letter.

The rules for your membership year are now that the year will end on the 8th of the month after the calendar month you opened your account. So if you opened your account between 1 Sep and 30 Sep, year would end on 8 Oct and a status drop would occur on 31 Nov if you didn't achieve enough TP by 8 Oct.

(Previously the rules were that your membership year would be on the 8th of the month after your first TP-earning activity posted, and then it would change with status upgrades.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.