Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I an addict?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by headingwest
Chris1979, I'd be careful in that Concorde Room if I were you. When they find out who you are, BA management will be putting some poison in your food!
ha!

I have the butler taste food at home.... maybe I should get him to do so in the CCR as well....

though they already know who I am......

parainoa as well as addiction? lol. happy flying.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL
There's nothing wrong with it! The CCR is a lovely place to spend the afternoon and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun throwing back unlimited LPGS and JW Blue whilst waiting on your latest £35 return flight to Europe! Besides, the travel you undertake to earn your CCR card is a lot of fun and you get to see some great places along the way, in supreme comfort. Do what makes you happy, enjoy the ride and reap the benefits! ^
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
There's nothing wrong with it! The CCR is a lovely place to spend the afternoon and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun throwing back unlimited LPGS and JW Blue whilst waiting on your latest £35 return flight to Europe! Besides, the travel you undertake to earn your CCR card is a lot of fun and you get to see some great places along the way, in supreme comfort. Do what makes you happy, enjoy the ride and reap the benefits! ^
I'll toast a glass to that
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
I totally agree. Everyone has their own interests and pleasures in life.

However, I do understand what some of the more cautious FTers are trying to say. Like most things that bring pleasure in life, one can become addicted to them very easily. It is sometimes very tempting to buy tickets for flights that are above ones realistic budget. I'm sure there are many people here who have paid a little (or a lot!) more for flights when they really shouldn't have. That said, you could say the same for other things, like a car or concert tickets for example.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
^

I totally agree. Everyone has their own interests and pleasures in life.

However, I do understand what some of the more cautious FTers are trying to say. Like most things that bring pleasure in life, one can become addicted to them very easily. It is sometimes very tempting to buy tickets for flights that are above ones realistic budget. I'm sure there are many people here who have paid a little (or a lot!) more for flights when they really shouldn't have. That said, you could say the same for other things, like a car or concert tickets for example.
again ^

I try to lead a relatively vice free life and therefore (at least that's what I am telling myself) can afford to spend a bit of money on something I enjoy and something that isn't 'entirely' pointless (even though friends who don't get it do shake their heads at the idea of spending 4 days on planes to get to HI for 2 days). Especially as some of my 'runs' are linked to holiday / I turn runs into holidays. Even runs for the sake of runnning are carefully thought about though.

Agree, it (like many things in life) could easily become addictive and people need to be careful. And those who don't understand it, won't understand it. I have 4 pairs of shoes for example (work black, social brown, trainers and social casual (I do have flip flops as well). I get why someone might have 6 or 8 pairs but I don't understand why someone would have 20/30/40/50. That doesnt make them 'wrong' or 'strange' just like my flying doesnt either. Ditto for jeans. Gambling. Boozing. other stuff.

Happy Flying.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
Yes, and bonkers into the bargain. :-) Whatever floats yer boat though, I fly aircraft with no engines for fun. Enjoy.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I never really understood the attraction of status.

If you buy a Y ticket, it remains unlikely you will be upgraded, so you are still in the discomfort of Y.

If you buy a J ticket, you are in the comfort of J. You don't need status.

You can use a lounge, but must lounges have ordinary food, so what's the point?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
You have a point - to an extent...

A couple of years back I was doing the odd trip up & down to Scotland.

It amazed me just how much I was spending to grab a bite and a drink in the terminal before the flight, so when I got Silver it was welcome.

Now, I'm looking at a flights with the family next year. We're booked in Club but if I can get my Silver status back, it means we can get free seat assignments. £65/£85 a pop x 10 (5 people, round trip) is a lot of cash.

So, I'm looking at a trip early next year that might cost a few quid more than the cheapest alternative, but will also come with silver status. Is that daft? I don't think so, but hauling yourself to Hawaii and back in 48hrs three times in a month to then get a CCR card you'll never use - you should be sectioned...

If you're struggling to spend your cash, there's always this

https://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/oxfam-..._goat_20131028
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

If you're struggling to spend your cash, there's always this

https://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/oxfam-..._goat_20131028
Damn, it's out of stock
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Damn, it's out of stock
Sorted that for you. They have breeding pairs in stock... ;-)

https://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/oxfam-...ouple-ou9011ml
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:04 pm

Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Surely the solution is to fly to whichever third world country, buy some goats (preferably with AMEX), hand them out and fly home again. Everyone wins.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, if we're geting into the realms of goat economics, you must read the Great Hargesia Goat Bubble http://www.juliangough.com/the-great...a-goat-bubble/

Amex, GUF2's and Jokers haven't got a chance here...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pappap647
You can get J flights to Hawaii from Dublin for £1350? That's amazing value.
Stop encouraging them.

The ones I feel sorry for are the AAmericans.

They do status runs in Y! Ouch!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:16 pm

Swiss Tony, you do have a serious point about the CCR card.

I suppose a lot depends on ones personal circumstances...do they have family, loans, other commitments. For someone like me, who is single and quite free to do what they want, then travelling is never a bad thing, providing one has the money and time to do so.

I would definitely draw that line at spending thousands of pounds just to attain status, if I knew that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. But then that's why we're all here, isn't it!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.