Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

They may be seen as Dragons, but I have no complaints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,

Big well done/thanks to Flounge staff from me. They may be strict and not always get the rules right, but were there when it counted.

Sunday I was in the 233 to DME, arrived early, had a cig, went through and was about to get breakfast when I started getting shooting pains in my left arm, pins n needles in my left hand an the left side of my face. Spotted straight away by lounge staff, two mins later a senior staffer was on the phone and within 5 min the bike paramedic was there! I think it may have been the look of utter panic on my face, as I knew what those symptoms can mean.

Staffer told the paramedic that he would hold my bags until 30 min before the flight and stayed as I was plugged into the mini ECG.

Suffice to say, tests done, ticker seemed OK, Mr BTC Calmed down, was ok'd to travel, bags loaded, me on my way and advised to get a full 12 lead ECG just in case. So got 12 lead thingy done today, ticker fine. Actual cause was due to two weeks having a flu-ish thing, being somewhat exhausted with too many flights and late nights and it's affect on me being diabetic.

I certainly appreciated them being there on Sunday so a whopping well done from me!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well it's good to read that, and even better that you are still with us, as it were. I hope you have a healthy break coming up, so you can recharge your batteries more fully. There are always doctors in Flounge too, or so I am told!
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Yes, good to hear you're still behind the curtain and not under it! Well done to the staff for looking after you and glad you're okay ^
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Good to know that they were there for you and responded so well.

And obviously good to know that a fellow FTer is OK too (just make sure you take better care of yourself in future)
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:08 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are always doctors in Flounge too, or so I am told!
There are always doctors where you least expect them, like in a bear's suit in a football stadium.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Sorry to hear that you felt unwell but great to hear that everything was ok and that the staff really looked after you. Those that go above and beyond really need rewarding.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Very pleased you are ok.

Now - time to stop the smoking?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
So glad a quick response from the staffer in the lounge, must have been a terrifying moment for you and for other people around, glad you are now ok, and hope that you can try and relax, and not have too many late nights, plus cigs, should now be taken off the list.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Glad to hear you were ok and sorry to join in the chorus of unasked-for medical advice but I am guessing that your symptoms disappeared pretty sharpish because it would be something of a worry for paramedics to be discharging a diabetic smoker with those complaints on the basis of a normal ECG....perhaps they should have put a tannoy out for one of the resident medics...!!

Sounds like you've had it all taken care of now anyway!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Hmm yeah ciggies... MsBTC and the doc been on about that today... Even though the second n third ECG's on the running machine n bike machine came out tip top with rates n pressures well below that expected of someone who is aged enough to have seen live Rainbow, Sabbath and Hawkwind when they were at their peak

Actually do between 40 & 70 KM every day on the bike, so been trying to convince everyone that one balances the other, though nobody believes me, and that includes me...

Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Glad to hear you were ok and sorry to join in the chorus of unasked-for medical advice but I am guessing that your symptoms disappeared pretty sharpish because it would be something of a worry for paramedics to be discharging a diabetic smoker with those complaints on the basis of a normal ECG....perhaps they should have put a tannoy out for one of the resident medics...!!

Sounds like you've had it all taken care of now anyway!
No not disappeared, but the lack of any other symptom combined with the fact Moscow is home where my Doc is was why they gave the OK
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Glad you're well Behindthecurtain.

For a minute, I thought it was the shock you received on seeing the changes to the Flounge that caused your cardiac event.

Maybe you saw the burger with the increased fat percentage. Or the missing brands of whisky.

I'm glad BA cannot be blamed. I can only imagine the reply you would get from customer services.

Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
Hmm yeah ciggies... MsBTC and the doc been on about that today... Even though the second n third ECG's on the running machine n bike machine came out tip top with rates n pressures well below that expected of someone who is aged enough to have seen live Rainbow, Sabbath and Hawkwind when they were at their peak

Actually do between 40 & 70 KM every day on the bike, so been trying to convince everyone that one balances the other, though nobody believes me, and that includes me...

Wow 40 and 70KM a day is a hell of a lot of miles, perhaps far too much, and the poor old ticker is trying to tell you something to not make it take the strain so much.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Behindthecurtain
, so been trying to convince everyone that one balances the other, though nobody believes me, and that includes me...
This is a variant of the BigMac Diet: If you have a diet soda then that balances out the 510 kCal of your average BigMac. I've heard this so many times with my American counterparts, at least some of them believe it.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Behindthecurtain I came across this on Business Traveller and thought it may be of interest, having remembered reading this thread.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/dis...n-BA-T5-lounge

Wishing you all the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.