Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to free seat selection for Silvers (at least) coming soon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to free seat selection for Silvers (at least) coming soon?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by headingwest
Yesterday I called BA to try and get a seat selected for a flight with Iberia coded flight (BA metal) next year. He tried to allocate the seat, but in the end told me that I'd have to phone Iberia directly. I then gave them a ring and they told me that they could not allocate as it was BA metal (chaos!)...they were then kind enough to transfer me back to BA. The second BA guy told me that the first time I'd called through to general customer services, and that the guy was probably new and didn't know what he was doing!

Funny enough, in the end the second guy was unable to allocate the seats either. He was quite confused and couldn't understand why a Silver status customer couldn't make a seat selection. He was very helpful though and told me that they would have to override the system, and that he'd call me back later today to confirm the seat had been allocated.

Now I presumed that the problem was because it was an IB coded flight, but he did actually mention that their systems were not recognising my Silver status. Therefore, I imagine that it is an IT issue. I hope that there isn't any truth in this rumor that this 'perk' will be enhanced away for Silver members.

My gut feeling is that it is indeed an IT problem.

Hi this sounds unrelated to the issue that silvers are having and down to the fact that its a codeshare. If its sold as an IB flight number is BA it does sometimes mean neither BA or IB can assign seats. My experience is thats its unreliable at the best of times when someone calls up to try and book seats on a flt booked that way.

*******all opinions expressed are my own and do not represent those of BA or IAG******
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by nux
You really think they would 'tinker' on the live site ahead of an announcement, rather than a test database/system?
Based on previous BA.com enhancements - absolutely.

We have previously seen things 'put live' often very early in the morning only to disappear again later and then re-appear again a few days later.

Some aspects of the rules code probably got promoted to live accidentally for a short time.

And also note that announcements often come after the enhancement at ba and not before.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Thanks Anonba

Originally Posted by Anonba
Hi this sounds unrelated to the issue that silvers are having and down to the fact that its a codeshare. If its sold as an IB flight number is BA it does sometimes mean neither BA or IB can assign seats. My experience is thats its unreliable at the best of times when someone calls up to try and book seats on a flt booked that way.
I must say, that seems insane to me that when you have a codeshare flight none of the airlines involved are able to allocate seats. Why is that?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headingwest
I must say, that seems insane to me that when you have a codeshare flight none of the airlines involved are able to allocate seats. Why is that?
IT.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:38 pm

lets not forget on the IT front that they are/have just been, tinkering with it to add the forward cabin to those flight selling OF as J.

Agree though is silver seat selection goes away, so do i. I made a lot of bluster when free selection for all in J was "enhanced" but in reality it increased our "loyalty" in order to maintain the silver, and cut down our redemption choices to one MFU and two cash LH CW trips per year in order to maintain that status, if that goes away then we will certainly be testing out some of the seats that have been introduced on other airlines since we became BA "loyal"
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG, TK Elite, IHG Amb & HH Diamond
Having to pay for selecting a seat in J
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:24 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by thedavebloke
You don't have to pay, it is entirely optional.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
No longer relevant.

Last edited by London32; Sep 24, 2014 at 2:18 am
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by London32
This appears to be correct as I've just done a search for an upcoming flight to NYC. It seems to be conflicting but this is not good. This really devalues Silver for me. Outrageous.
Just in case you've not picked this up from the other posts here, there is a new bug that is showing charging for ALL status (including Prems) during the booking process Book My Flight. If you leave out the seat selection stage - which I always do anyway due to the risk of time-out - then in MMB afterwards you can select seats for free. BAEC agents here, via PM and in face to face discussions have made it clear that BA regards this as a bug, not a feature.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Anonba
Hi i actually took a call earlier today where a silver card holder was trying to book and noticed he was being charged for seats when they tried to select them during the booking process. I spoke to web support who advised that this was a known fault with BA.com and had been reported to IT. Unfortunately had no idea of even estimated time for this to be fixed and if im honest IT seem to be notoriously slow to resolve such issues!

******* all opinions expressed are my own and do not represent those of ba or iag*********

As i said previously.........
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Noted. Thank you. I'm hoping this isn't a benefit removed from Silver.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thedavebloke
Originally Posted by nux
You don't have to pay, it is entirely optional.
As nux has noted, you don't have to pay. Also as a QF LTG aren't you a OWS, so don't you have free seat selection from booking onwards?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Just in case you've not picked this up from the other posts here, there is a new bug that is showing charging for ALL status (including Prems) during the booking process Book My Flight. If you leave out the seat selection stage - which I always do anyway due to the risk of time-out - then in MMB afterwards you can select seats for free. BAEC agents here, via PM and in face to face discussions have made it clear that BA regards this as a bug, not a feature.
I made a booking on Monday and called as it was asking me to pay for seats and the agent said exactly the same. I went into MMB and chose exit rows in ET out and back.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
ALL status (including Prems)
I see that "GGL+CCR" has disappeared from your "Programmes" section.

Have you been promoted?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Calchas
I see that "GGL+CCR" has disappeared from your "Programmes" section.

Have you been promoted?
I think your memory is playing tricks, CWS has not shown GGL or CCR in his profile

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.