FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to free seat selection for Silvers (at least) coming soon?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:52 am
Anonba

Originally Posted by headingwest
Yesterday I called BA to try and get a seat selected for a flight with Iberia coded flight (BA metal) next year. He tried to allocate the seat, but in the end told me that I'd have to phone Iberia directly. I then gave them a ring and they told me that they could not allocate as it was BA metal (chaos!)...they were then kind enough to transfer me back to BA. The second BA guy told me that the first time I'd called through to general customer services, and that the guy was probably new and didn't know what he was doing!

Funny enough, in the end the second guy was unable to allocate the seats either. He was quite confused and couldn't understand why a Silver status customer couldn't make a seat selection. He was very helpful though and told me that they would have to override the system, and that he'd call me back later today to confirm the seat had been allocated.

Now I presumed that the problem was because it was an IB coded flight, but he did actually mention that their systems were not recognising my Silver status. Therefore, I imagine that it is an IT issue. I hope that there isn't any truth in this rumor that this 'perk' will be enhanced away for Silver members.

My gut feeling is that it is indeed an IT problem.

Hi this sounds unrelated to the issue that silvers are having and down to the fact that its a codeshare. If its sold as an IB flight number is BA it does sometimes mean neither BA or IB can assign seats. My experience is thats its unreliable at the best of times when someone calls up to try and book seats on a flt booked that way.

*******all opinions expressed are my own and do not represent those of BA or IAG******