Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

"Russia considers airspace ban against European airlines"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

http://rbth.com/news/2014/08/05/russ...spo_38762.html

"Russia considers airspace ban against European airlines" in response to sanctions.

according to a different article (http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/soz...-a-984478.html), the cost of a 3 month ban for BA, LH and AF is around €1bn whilst Aeroflot would lose €55m in fees that European airlines have to pay to it for flying over Russia.

Not had chance to look at routings / which flights this would impact and it's clearly only talk / threats / speculation at this stage (and personally don't think / hope it would come to this) but presumably the impact could be significant in terms of re-routing, flight lenght, fuel (and possibly re-fuelling), cost etc.

Again, all speculation and I can't see it happen but wonder if airlines might consider an extra charge for pax or just absorb it whilst it might last?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by chris1979
Not had chance to look at routings / which flights this would impact and it's clearly only talk / threats / speculation at this stage (and personally don't think / hope it would come to this) but presumably the impact could be significant in terms of re-routing, flight lenght, fuel (and possibly re-fuelling), cost etc.
Crewing will also be a major issue as it will be a 2-sector day instead of 1 if they need to refuel.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
In Soviet Russia, airspace ban you!

Next on the list in this ongoing willy-waving contest will no doubt be an EU airspace ban for Russian airlines, which would cripple many Russian carriers.

It is very sad. There were a lot of Russian holidaymakers left stranded after a carrier went bust over the weekend.

I suspect that Russia wouldn't carry this particular threat out, but you shouldn't ever rule anything out when Russia is involved!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: ABBA
Ouch, this would really impact on flights to the far east. Could we see BA returning to ANC en-route to NRT?

HKG and south would be unlikely to be too badly affected
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by paul4040
It is very sad. There were a lot of Russian holidaymakers left stranded after a carrier went bust over the weekend.
I had missed the news that LCC Dobrolet collapsed just 2 months after it started flying.

According to the BBC, four Russian tour operators have gone bust in the past week or so, stranding tens of thousands abroad.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
http://www.vedomosti.ru/politics/new...tit-na-sankcii

Do we know if this is all of Russian Airspace or just Siberia? This article seems to mention the Trans-Siberian routes only.

Either way it's not good news for EU carriers.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: BA gold
Will this mean more Avios and TPs?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stez
Will this mean more Avios and TPs?
It'll mean higher fares and fuel surcharges.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC
It seems Russia is desperate to go back the Cold War days.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by shefgab
It seems Russia is desperate to go back the Cold War days.
Don't forget Putin believes that the break up of the Soviet Union was the worst thing that happened in the last century.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Don't forget Putin believes that the break up of the Soviet Union was the worst thing that happened in the last century.
The breakup of the great Soviet Empire must have been painful.

As was the breakup of the great British Empire, although we didn't throw a strop over it
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't aware it had broken up! Wasn't there some shindig to celebrate it, up in Scotland, recently?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I wasn't aware it had broken up! Wasn't there some shindig to celebrate it, up in Scotland, recently?
You talking about the Commonwealth or the potential for Soviet Scotland?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Scotland? that potentially foreign country north of the border?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: MUCCI
This would affect HKG, PVG, PEK, NRT, BKK and SIN.
They would all need to re-route which would add time.
Since the 747-400 is not used and we are talking 777-300's and A380's for some of these routes they can indeed fly much further but there will be a huge increase in fuel to pay.......
FD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.