Community
Wiki Posts
Search

checking hand baggage not allowed on BA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
checking hand baggage not allowed on BA?

My wife and 3 year old son flew BOM-IAH in WT back a couple of weeks back, and given that she was going to be pushing him around in a stroller, she wanted to check most of her hand baggage. Before she went to the airport, I checked online as to BA's baggage policies, and didn't see anything preventing it, so I said it shouldn't be a problem. (I figured most airlines are happy to have people checking in their hand bags ahead of time, to save overhead bin space.) The hand bags were 15kg and 14kg, so there were individually within the hand baggage limits that BA had established.

When she gets to the checkin counter, she is told by the agent that BA doesn't allow the checking in of hand bags, and that she's going to be charged 14000 INR (about $233) per extra bag checked in, or she can wrap both extra bags together in shrinkwrap and be charged for one extra overweight bag (since it'd be 29kg together) at 18000 INR ($300). She called me from the airport, asking what the heck was going on. I said I have no idea, but as she was getting no traction with the agent as to how this didn't fit the website, told her to pay it and I'd figure it out later. She chose the latter option since it was cheaper to do it that way.

I'm usually a *A guy, so I don't know BA's policies. (she only flew BA on the way back because we had friends flying back on the same flight that could help with taking care of our son during the trip) Is it actual practice on BA to prevent the checking in of hand bags? If not, how do I go about getting a refund?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You have neglected to impart one very vital piece of information here.

How many checked bags did your party check in, prior to requesting that "hand baggage" also be checked?

A "hand baggage" allowance only applies to luggage that you carry with you into the cabin. You cannot arbitrarily decide to check in your "hand baggage" allowance for free if you have already used up your allotted checked luggage allowance.

As soon as you check in an item, it stops being "hand luggage", and becomes regular checked luggage. You cannot add your hand luggage allowance to your existing checked luggage allowance, and expect the total to all be checked for free.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 28, 2014 at 8:44 am
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
No offence but surely when you check in hand baggage it ceases to be hand baggage ("hand" being the operative word here)?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
It is not BA policy to proactively offer hand luggage to be checked in and this is only done when the overhead lockers are full. This is to discourage people from checking in luggage and then showing up at the gate with an equally as heavy item to be "checked in" even if it is ok to be carried Onboard.

AA (and US airlines in general) may proactively offer this (at least at my out station) as overhead lockers are consistently full on domestic flights. This is also because people bring the full hand luggage entitlement because bags are not free within the US. This is a consequence of this policy. However, this practise is not done on international flights as there is nearly always room on wide bodied jets. BA has generous luggage and hand luggage allowances so BA should not offer this service and should encourage people to make use if their free checked allowance. In effect you brought another piece of hold luggage (which was overweight). You, of course, will be charged.

Last edited by BA0197; Jul 28, 2014 at 8:51 am
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You have neglected to impart one very vital piece of information here.

How many checked bags did your party check in, prior to requesting that "hand baggage" also be checked?
Thought that was implied in the charge for extra bag. She had used the full 4 bags allowed for checked baggage. That said, we've done this before on LH without any problems. (when I wasn't traveling with them, so my Star Gold privileges didn't come into play)
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rishib
Thought that was implied in the charge for extra bag. She had used the full 4 bags allowed for checked baggage. That said, we've done this before on LH without any problems. (when I wasn't traveling with them, so my Star Gold privileges didn't come into play)
Not really.

Combining the two items in this manner to obtain a 29kg "bag" means it falls outside the normal allowance for any one bag(23kg), so it would be treated exceptionally, as one overweight item, and charged as such even if no other item had been checked in. Even without any other checked bag, this 29kg "bag" falls outside of all published allowances, and would be charged separately.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 28, 2014 at 8:53 am
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:50 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:21 pm
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm not surprised BA didn't let your wife get what would effectively be two additional pieces of (lighter) checked luggage. If they didn allow this, they'd have no way of knowing if passenger then took additional cabin luggage on board.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Not really.

Combining the two items in this manner to obtain a 29kg "bag" means it falls outside the normal allowance for any one bag(23kg), so it would be treated exceptionally, as one overweight item. Even without any other checked bag, this 29kg "bag" falls outside of all published allowances, and would be charged separately. (So this really tells us nothing about whether the inherent 2*23kg per passenger on connecting US-India tickets was used at all. Though, of course, if the full checked luggage allowance had not been used, then of course, the "hand luggage" could have been accepted without any issue, and the "need" to combine two items into one would not arise. I assume that the full checked in allowance was used - but the OP hasn't addressed this explicitly).
Ok, understand what you're getting at.

I'm fine if it isn't BA policy to proactively check in hand bags (b/c of the higher weight limit that they have) and therefore the charges were warranted. It would be nice if they posted that on their website beforehand, b/c most other airlines do it differently, in my experience.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
They do publish it on their website under checked luggage. I'm afraid the fact that it was carried as hand baggage on one leg is neither here nor there - once you decide to put it in the hold it becomes checked luggage and is subject to the limits of your allowance
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm fine if it isn't BA policy to proactively check in hand bags (b/c of the higher weight limit that they have) and therefore the charges were warranted. It would be nice if they posted that on their website beforehand, b/c most other airlines do it differently, in my experience.
No airline has such a policy. A cabin bag is just that - a bag which the passenger must carry themselves onto the cabin, and store either in the overhead locker or under the seat in front of them.

If you decide to hand over all bags at check in, it means you are relinquishing your cabin baggage allowance. Anything you check in must therefore meet the limits of your checked luggage allowance, or else you must pay extra.

Every airline gives you two separate baggage limits - a carry-on allowance, and a checked baggage allowance. They are separate because you cannot mix and match the two. You can no more expect to carry on all your checked luggage allowance in addition to your hand luggage allowance, than you can expect to add the two together and check bags beyond your stated checked luggage allowance.

That this is not explicitly mentioned as policy on their website is somewhat obsolete. It is assumed that everyone will understand that anything presented for checking into the hold is checked luggage, and anything carried on to the plane is hand luggage. It's already self-evident and clear.

That Lufthansa may have done this for you in the past does not mean they will do it again, and Lufthansa's published limits are no different from BA's for this route (2*23kg checked luggage, but a much lower cabin baggage limit, of just 8kg (BA allows 23kg as cabin baggage).
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by Paralytic
I'm not surprised BA didn't let your wife get what would effectively be two additional pieces of (lighter) checked luggage. If they didn allow this, they'd have no way of knowing if passenger then took additional cabin luggage on board.
Not entirely clear from the original post but I read that the OP's wife was indeed still taking hand luggage on board after checking in the the two small pieces and 4 checked bags. (Stroller, purse, baby items bag surely...) maybe I have read the op wrong but to answer the op, no refund due.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Four checked bags plus 29 kgs of hand baggage?!?! Plus a stroller?

Some airlines only allow 8kgs for hand baggage. I guess you were probably moving house or something but at that level it would have been more sensible to send the freight home by sea cargo. I'm Star Gold too, and I can't think of many airlines that would tolerate that. Lufthansa is 8 kgs per bag, though Business and First passengers are allowed 2 x 8 kgs. And I suspect they would have charged a great deal more than USD300 to check them in.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:07 am
Original Poster

No airline has such a policy. A cabin bag is just that - a bag which the passenger must carry themselves onto the cabin, and store either in the overhead locker or under the seat in front of them.

If you decide to hand over all bags at check in, it means you are relinquishing your cabin baggage allowance. Anything you check in must therefore meet the limits of your checked luggage allowance, or else you must pay extra.

Every airline gives you two separate baggage limits - a carry-on allowance, and a checked baggage allowance. They are separate because you cannot mix and match the two. You can no more expect to carry on all your checked luggage allowance in addition to your hand luggage allowance, than you can expect to add the two together and check bags beyond your stated checked luggage allowance.

That this is not explicitly mentioned as policy on their website is somewhat obsolete. It is assumed that everyone will understand that anything presented for checking into the hold is checked luggage, and anything carried on to the plane is hand luggage. It's already self-evident and clear.

That Lufthansa may have done this for you in the past does not mean they will do it again, and Lufthansa's published limits are no different from BA's for this route (2*23kg checked luggage, but a much lower cabin baggage limit, of just 8kg (BA allows 23kg as cabin baggage).
Alright, guess I've been educated. I've been traveling with status for so long, I haven't been charged for bags in a while, and apparently my wife has been getting lucky on LH w/ regards to bags. I'll keep this in mind for the future. Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:16 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The BA website is pretty clear. You can check 2 bags per passenger in WT (plus a stroller and car seat for a child).
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

They were trying to check 4 bags plus an additional 2 bags, hence are liable for the extra bags.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...weight-baggage

Did they also have additional hand luggage to take on board as well? The hand luggage allowance is 1 cabin bag plus 1 personal bag.
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

On the hand baggage page it also states: If you go over your allowance of 2 bags, you may have to check in one of your extra bags, for which there may be a charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.