Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grrrr BA at Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Why would they want a third runway when they cannot handle the traffic generated by two?
Even if LHR had 6 runways there would be delays when lightning is about as it's just not safe especially for those working on the apron.

LHR is far too small always will be. BA do an astounding job operating as well as they do from there.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by paulwuk
You hate going through it but you're willing to do it twice on the same day.
If, in essence, BA were paying me £1,500 to do so then yes, I'd put up with it.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by ACARS
Thats the cost of generating a profit in the airlines these days.
Think of the profit they could make if, gosh, I don't know, they operated efficiently.

Think of the profit they could make if they could attract passengers by making transferring a seamless, pleasant experience (I know that's mostly down to HAL, but they do have some leverage).

Think of the profit they could make if they could do an efficient turnaround rather than have planes sitting on the apron for 2 hours longer than necessary.

Etc.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by paulwuk
You hate going through it but you're willing to do it twice on the same day.
Oh yes, quite willing. Quite willing to hate it too. There is a way to do things in an organised fashion. T5 is not organised and clearly badly designed in flight connections/immigration/security. There are bottle necks everywhere. Yes I still get through quickly enough and I am very happy with that, but it is just an unnecessarily mental process. There really is no need for it. As it is, I shall keep using LHR since I want to fly BA (and i am not blaming BA here...I'm with HIDDY on that score), and keep moaning about it. Well, I shall restrict my moaning to the connections/security area. Everything else is fine.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by jcm9000
Flight to BRU was delayed as they had to unplug the plane (generator at the back of the plane was knackered), and the weather was delaying departures. Get to BRU about 1.5 hours late I think, I zipped through connections and talked the lady into putting me back on the same plane.
I was wondering why the gate agents at BRU looked rather less exasperated than I expected them to at my predicament; they had obviously dealt with you a few hours previously
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
From my own experience and talking to friends / colleagues (one of whom is a BA FO on 320) the operation at LHR seems to have gone downhill rapidly over the last few months. There is a shortage of everything - pilots, tugs, buses, TRMs the lot and you can see this instantly when there is even the slightest disruption. Closing one of the London stacks for 20 minutes as happened on Friday should *not* cause a complete meltdown and collapse of the entire BA schedule. My flight could have left an hour earlier than it did (aircraft, crew all ready, passengers in the gate pen at T3) however because of a shortage of buses we were almost 2h late. One AMS flight was over 4 hours late!

Even on sunny days my FO friend tells me of a shortage of buses and he lives in terror of being 'force-drafted' at the door of an aircraft as he arrives on stand.

This is what happens when you have an airline run by people who count beans for a living - all of the savings accrued by having the absolute minimum of everything get wiped out by the clusterf***ks like Friday, with the added bonus of huge customer dissatisfaction on top.

I used to be a supporter of the third runway but the current mess at LHR is entirely of HAL and BA's own making, so I have withdrawn my support until they can prove they can run an airport that doesn't collapse at the seams the moment it starts raining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.