Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

when did BA stop service between Philadelphia and Montreal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

in the early 90's I used to takes this flight from Philadephia to Montreal on a regular basis.
BA and LH both operated this route as a continuation to London and Frankfurt, but they
both local rights between the US and Canada. BA operated the route with 747s while
LH used DC-10s. Both were much obviously much nicer than what U.S. airlines offered
on this route.

thanks for any info!
Old May 18, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
I don't recall a Montreal to PHL service. The Montreal flight used to continue onto Detriot when BA were still serving that city.
Old May 18, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Lowly Blue
Looking back through my logbook, I operated many YMX-DTW services in the 80s and 90s, as well as some PHL-PIT and BOS-PHL services, but never YMX-PHL.

That isn't to imply that BA didn't operate such a service - the OP clearly remembers travelling on it - just that I don't recall, and never operated, a YMX-PHL on the B747. Possibly the schedule didn't last very long?

Sorry I can't be more help with the actual question asked.

Best Regards

Bellerophon
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bellerophon
Looking back through my logbook, I operated many YMX-DTW services in the 80s and 90s, as well as some PHL-PIT and BOS-PHL services, but never YMX-PHL.

That isn't to imply that BA didn't operate such a service - the OP clearly remembers travelling on it - just that I don't recall, and never operated, a YMX-PHL on the B747. Possibly the schedule didn't last very long?

Sorry I can't be more help with the actual question asked.

Best Regards

Bellerophon
I also flew British Airways from PHL to Montreal aboard a 747. It was either 1990 or 1991. At the time, BA flew from PHL into Montreal Mirabel(YMX) like other international airlines. The flight stops in YMX for about 1.5 hours before continuing to London.

No idea when it stopped. However, I'm pretty sure that Lufthansa was the first one to pull out of the PHL-YMX market, in favour of PHL-FRA and YMX-FRA nonstops.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by roundrulers
I also flew British Airways from PHL to Montreal aboard a 747. It was either 1990 or 1991. At the time, BA flew from PHL into Montreal Mirabel(YMX) like other international airlines. The flight stops in YMX for about 1.5 hours before continuing to London.

No idea when it stopped. However, I'm pretty sure that Lufthansa was the first one to pull out of the PHL-YMX market, in favour of PHL-FRA and YMX-FRA nonstops.
Did BA also used to operate more than one PHL departure (one direct and one to YMX)? Perhaps when they decided to go down to one daily they realized it had to be direct or nobody would take it?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by JumboD
Did BA also used to operate more than one PHL departure (one direct and one to YMX)? Perhaps when they decided to go down to one daily they realized it had to be direct or nobody would take it?
As far as I can rember BA have always had 2 daily services ex PHL. I have been going there since 92 and I think they still did the YMX back then.

It was also one of the last routed to run the 747-200 with Y on the upper deck.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by CT-UK
As far as I can rember BA have always had 2 daily services ex PHL. I have been going there since 92 and I think they still did the YMX back then.

I loved those old 747-200s with the "proper" British Airways paint job.

Back then, I used to fly BA only between YMX and PHL in F. As I recall, the one-way fare for YMX-PHL in F was just under $450.(1990 Dollars, of course) The flight was short, but still offered a meal in first class.(usually a cold hand-carved roast beef sandwich with a warm soup)
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by CT-UK

I was searching for BA flights from Philadelphia and stumbled across this old thread.

British Airways did indeed fly from Philadelphia to Montreal nonstop, then the same 747-200 continues to London. They actually have a competitor on this route: Lufthansa. (which flew Philly-Montreal-Frankfurt on those old DC-10s) Both BA and LH had the right to sell tickets to passengers flying only between Philly and Montreal. Both discontinued the service in early 1990s.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum

In those days Montreal for international purposes was YMX. I passed Mirabel a few months ago: it looked very sad and to be honest not much closer to Montreal than PHL😀
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by FrancisA
In those days Montreal for international purposes was YMX. I passed Mirabel a few months ago: it looked very sad and to be honest not much closer to Montreal than PHL😀
It's ironic that Dorval was renamed to Montreal-Trudeau airport, when the white elephant Mirabel Airport was the brainchild of the Trudeau government in the first place.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Didn't BA used to also fly JFK-YYZ?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
Originally Posted by bosnyc
Didn't BA used to also fly JFK-YYZ?
They did as an extension to a 757 route ex-BHX. Did it once as a separate sector.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Indeed, Mirabel was quite a Frankenstein of an airport and one of the rather megalomaniac public infrastructure projects that seemed to flourish in a number of large cities around the world in that period. It was about as Montreal as Ryanair airports are Brussels or Paris While Dorval is not particularly pleasant, it is, at least, a reasonably conveniently located airport.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:07 pm

can people still visit Mirabel? What is there to see right now? I miss that big airport. Unlike most people, I actually liked Mirabel.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by tropicaliceberg
can people still visit Mirabel? What is there to see right now? I miss that big airport. Unlike most people, I actually liked Mirabel.
You have weird taste I know that only a few years ago it was still handling some charter flights and then freight. I am not sure if it is still the case or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.