Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios reward booking cancellation fees on AA/US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:00 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat

Hi there,

Question 1: I was wondering what the situation is regarding the cancellation fees for lowly OWS on AA or US domestics.
I have a flight booked with Avios (more than 24 hours out) and I need to cancel it. I only paid $2.50 in fees for the booking. According to this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...me-change.html and this one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-avios.html I think I would not incur additional charges, but want to check this with you, the more experienced flyers.
Also, how fast will the Avios get redeposited to my account?

Question 2: What is the official BA policy on cancellation due to time changes? I had a time change of 15 minutes and they told me that I could not cancel for free, and on different occasion I experienced a 4 hour change of flight time and they rebooked me for free. What is the policy (eg how many minutes/hours must the change be in order to be able to freely cancel the booking)?

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:41 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
1. You will not pay to cancel and will just forfeit the amount paid.
2. I don't think there is an official policy but it is around 2-3 hours.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
1) If done online, almost immediately.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond, Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum,
also almost immediately available with phone agent's help and courtesy no fee when forfeiting taxes
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Hi there,

Question 1: I was wondering what the situation is regarding the cancellation fees for lowly OWS on AA or US domestics.
I have a flight booked with Avios (more than 24 hours out) and I need to cancel it. I only paid $2.50 in fees for the booking. According to this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...me-change.html and this one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-avios.html I think I would not incur additional charges, but want to check this with you, the more experienced flyers.
Also, how fast will the Avios get redeposited to my account?

Question 2: What is the official BA policy on cancellation due to time changes? I had a time change of 15 minutes and they told me that I could not cancel for free, and on different occasion I experienced a 4 hour change of flight time and they rebooked me for free. What is the policy (eg how many minutes/hours must the change be in order to be able to freely cancel the booking)?

Thanks for your help
anyone has an answer to #2 ?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 8:31 am

I just totally screwed myself thinking that I can cancel avios flight any time even few hours before departure if I forfeit taxes and fees. It's 5 hours left before the flight
, agent won't refund avios over the phine, also can't do it online. I'm so sad. I have a returning flight as a separate reservation if I combine it would I somehow be able to cancel both and refund avios altogether. I'm sure the anewer will be no but looking for some options here.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:21 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The booking becomes non refundable 24 hours before the first flight. So if you had a return segment then both would become non refundable.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just called BA and was told fee applies to get Avios back - ie. not just forfeiture of taxes. Is the tax forfeiture an informal procedure or is it written down somewhere?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Just called BA and was told fee applies to get Avios back - ie. not just forfeiture of taxes. Is the tax forfeiture an informal procedure or is it written down somewhere?
Avios tickets are non-refundable/non-changeable 24 hours prior to departure.

When you cancel, the Avios are refunded minus the lower of the service charge or the taxes/cash paid.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by seawolf
Avios tickets are non-refundable/non-changeable 24 hours prior to departure.

When you cancel, the Avios are refunded minus the lower of the service charge or the taxes/cash paid.
Has anyone noticed this change recently? Note this was never a rule, just an anomaly of the system. But I think I am now seeing a $40 charge and a refund of the lower taxes when I cancel online.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, TK*G, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, etc
Try calling them. If an agent wants you to pay money to cancel, hang up and call again. Always worked for me (eventually)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Has anyone noticed this change recently? Note this was never a rule, just an anomaly of the system. But I think I am now seeing a $40 charge and a refund of the lower taxes when I cancel online.
Never tried it recently.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:29 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you cancel online there is no mechanism to take a payment so I don't know how they would levy a $40 charge unless they completely change the cancellation proces.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by KARFA
If you cancel online there is no mechanism to take a payment so I don't know how they would levy a $40 charge unless they completely change the cancellation proces.
I have noticed they seem to be charging the credit card that was originally used for the booking. It's a little hard for me to tell as I have made a lot of recent bookings and canceled a lot of others so have a ton of charges. But as best I can tell those I have canceled I have been hit with $40 automatic charges for
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC *P
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

For a cancellation of an AA booking with Avios points outside the 24-hour window, is the thinking that we can cancel without a penalty and have the Avios redeposited?

Thanks a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.