Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling AA booking using avios

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Cancelling AA booking using avios

Why is BA taking me to paypal if I try to cancel an existing AA booking (done via avios)?

Not sure if this is normal procedure or BA is trying to charge a cancellation fee. Travel date is more than 2weeks away so it should be a full refund except the $2.50 tax/fee.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
This is the wrong forum to ask the question. It should be on the BA forum.
However here's a quick answer:
Check out https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...d-service-fees and you'll see that there are cancellation fees, unless you are a Gold member of the BA Executive Club.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As the booking was made with BA Avios, this has been moved to the BAEC Forum for broader exposure and more informed input.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
This is the wrong forum to ask the question. It should be on the BA forum.
However here's a quick answer:
Check out https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...d-service-fees and you'll see that there are cancellation fees, unless you are a Gold member of the BA Executive Club.
I have read that fee only applies for BA metal. For AA flights, only $2.5o (for taxes/fee) is the amount that is lost. But again…. looking for someone to confirm it.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I have read that fee only applies for BA metal. For AA flights, only $2.5o (for taxes/fee) is the amount that is lost. But again…. looking for someone to confirm it.
correct
Old Apr 3, 2014, 11:57 pm

It was always the case that if you book AA domestic flights with Avio and you canceled online, you only lose the 2.50 tax per each way. If you cancel within 24 hours of the flight then you lose your Avio points but get to keep your 2.50 tax. Of course, if you book an AA flight to Canada and canceled within 24 hours of departure, then your tax refund is more.

When I canceled a domestic AA flight, BA never have taken me to the paypal website. Maybe they tighten up the rules after they changed the cancellation fee recently? We need more data points. Please report back your findings. It will be very useful for all of us here.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windcloud5
It was always the case that if you book AA domestic flights with Avio and you canceled online, you only lose the 2.50 tax per each way. If you cancel within 24 hours of the flight then you lose your Avio points but get to keep your 2.50 tax. Of course, if you book an AA flight to Canada and canceled within 24 hours of departure, then your tax refund is more.

When I canceled a domestic AA flight, BA never have taken me to the paypal website. Maybe they tighten up the rules after they changed the cancellation fee recently? We need more data points. Please report back your findings. It will be very useful for all of us here.
Reporting back as requested…

Avios refunded as expected. BAEC website shows that it refunded $2.50 as well but I am yet to see them. Either ways no big loss.

Further clarification - it took me to Paypal site for authentication. I forgot that I had made the $2.50 tax payment via PP a/c. Not sure why it would need to authenticate that but oh well. Avios award cancellation policy prior to 24hrs remains safe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.