Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How often to seat movements happen for trim purposes on domestics?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often to seat movements happen for trim purposes on domestics?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
Recently I travelled LGW-TRN on Thomas Cook (!!!) and back*.

They had loaded the aircraft so heavily towards the rear that they insisted the front cabin could not disembark until the rear cabin was empty.

I had this image of the plane tipping up on its rear wheels.

Apparently it's their standard policy.
I had exactly the same on an Aer Lingus EDI-DUB a month or so back - no idea what type of aircraft it was, but it was a prop. There was roughly 18-20 rows (2x2) and I was half way back. On landing, the front half of the cabin was told to stay seated while the back half disembarked from the rear, due to balancing requirements.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paralytic
I had exactly the same on an Aer Lingus EDI-DUB a month or so back - no idea what type of aircraft it was, but it was a prop. There was roughly 18-20 rows (2x2) and I was half way back. On landing, the front half of the cabin was told to stay seated while the back half disembarked from the rear, due to balancing requirements.
I understand that rear loading is more efficient. I do not understand why.

Perhaps a lurking pilot or aerodynamicist would enlighten me?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:36 am

Perhaps to avoid something like this happening:
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Silver

It wasn't the rear loading that was notable (this aircraft had no passenger front door), but the fact that the front half of the cabin were told to stay seated until the back half had disembarked. It wsa explicitly stated it was due to the balancing of the aircraft.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paralytic
It wasn't the rear loading that was notable (this aircraft had no passenger front door), but the fact that the front half of the cabin were told to stay seated until the back half had disembarked. It wsa explicitly stated it was due to the balancing of the aircraft.
By rear loading I meant, loading the aircraft weight strongly towards the back of the plane (balancing the weight distribution rearward), not the passengers emplaning/deplaning via the rear doors.

I was assured that a rearward weight balance is more efficient during cruise (perhaps the nose points up more easily? ). On the TCX flights I mentioned earlier, the cargo/baggage was deliberately put as far back as possible. Thus if the front cabin deplaned first, it was implied that the whole plane would tip back (or more prosaically exceed some maximum permitted weight distribution on the rear gear).

However the reason for this efficiency saving over a balanced distribution escapes me.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:43 pm

In a nutshell it is mostly to do with the drag associated with the horizontal stabiliser at the rear. This stabiliser creates a downwards force as opposed to an upwards force created by the wings. The horizontal stabiliser or 'stab' for short required trimming to allow an aircraft to pitch up and settle at the engine out climb speed (V2) in the case of an engine failure during take off.

During the cruise the horizontal stab creates a downwards force to counteract the moment arm between the centre of gravity and the centre of pressure (lift).
The further forward the centre of gravity the more 'up trim' required and consequential drag increase.

More drag=more fuel. Airlines can also use certification specs on certain aircraft types to impose a more limiting forward centre of gravity limit. This enables better take off performance to be obtained (weight lifted).

Ironically an aircraft flys better in an engine out condition with a more forward centre of gravity. But we tend not to see so many of those these days.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sigwx
In a nutshell it is mostly to do with the drag associated with the horizontal stabiliser at the rear. This stabiliser creates a downwards force as opposed to an upwards force created by the wings. The horizontal stabiliser or 'stab' for short required trimming to allow an aircraft to pitch up and settle at the engine out climb speed (V2) in the case of an engine failure during take off.

During the cruise the horizontal stab creates a downwards force to counteract the moment arm between the centre of gravity and the centre of pressure (lift).
The further forward the centre of gravity the more 'up trim' required and consequential drag increase.

More drag=more fuel. Airlines can also use certification specs on certain aircraft types to impose a more limiting forward centre of gravity limit. This enables better take off performance to be obtained (weight lifted).

Ironically an aircraft flys better in an engine out condition with a more forward centre of gravity. But we tend not to see so many of those these days.
^^^ Very clear explanation, thank you.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
I was just wondering if regular domestic flyers knew how often seat movements for trim purposes happen?

My main reason for asking is that I never choose rows one or two on a middle of the day domestic flight operated by an A321 having previously been moved from row 2 to a nasty middle seat at the rear of the plane.

I turned down the opportunity for seat 1C on the 12:35 GLA-LHR this week based on my fear of being shifted. Foolish or sensible? I guess I'll find out when I fly!
Not BA, but A321 related - I flew last month in the USA, peak morning flight that was 'elite' heavy. During taxi they asked all pax behind First class to move to behind row 16. F class exempt. But some 50 pax had to move towards the back of the plane for take-off.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
BA1345 LBA-LHR for tomorrow evening 2100d. Seems the row blocking has gone back even further than last time I posted here. Must be because I am a GGL now and I get the first 15 rows blocked rather than just the first 9 when I was a GCH

Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by KARFA
BA1345 LBA-LHR for tomorrow evening 2100d. Seems the row blocking has gone back even further than last time I posted here. Must be because I am a GGL now and I get the first 15 rows blocked rather than just the first 9 when I was a GCH
That is hilarious, KARFA!
When you are sure that everyone is on board you should stand up, turn around and shout at the top of your lungs: "And bl**dy stay there!!"
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
That is hilarious, KARFA!
When you are sure that everyone is on board you should stand up, turn around and shout at the top of your lungs: "And bl**dy stay there!!"
Lol ^. I might try it and report back!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I have only once experienced the cabin crew checking loads on the flight for trim purposes, and that was on a small Dash aircraft operated by Porter Airlines.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Maybe they just think you're really heavy.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by paul4040
Maybe they just think you're really heavy.
it's a glandular problem, honest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.