Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How often to seat movements happen for trim purposes on domestics?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite

I was just wondering if regular domestic flyers knew how often seat movements for trim purposes happen?

My main reason for asking is that I never choose rows one or two on a middle of the day domestic flight operated by an A321 having previously been moved from row 2 to a nasty middle seat at the rear of the plane.

I turned down the opportunity for seat 1C on the 12:35 GLA-LHR this week based on my fear of being shifted. Foolish or sensible? I guess I'll find out when I fly!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've never seen trim issues on the larger B737/B767/A319/320/321 series, and I can't ever recall seat shifting on Domestics either, there's no curtain issues there either. This includes very low loaded services, e.g. on Saturday afternoons. The risk is on LCY's Embraer service, where I've certainly seen it happen, though Golds and above are sometimes exempt. On the 12:35 to LHR I can't see any risk of being shifted.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I fly on BA1460 on a Saturday evening about twice a month and it is usually pretty quiet (usually well under 100 passengers), they regularly block the first 15 or so rows on MMB a couple of weeks before departure to spread everyone out.

Also, once on board, the crew do move passengers around even more. I was surprised the first time this happened, being on such a relatively big aircraft.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:33 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've never seen trim issues on the larger B737/B767/A319/320/321 series, and I can't ever recall seat shifting on Domestics either, there's no curtain issues there either. This includes very low loaded services, e.g. on Saturday afternoons. The risk is on LCY's Embraer service, where I've certainly seen it happen, though Golds and above are sometimes exempt. On the 12:35 to LHR I can't see any risk of being shifted.
That's very surprising! I've seen 18 rows blocked on A321s domestic (with a load of 60 passengers), most of the cabin on 737s blocked (with a load of 12) and most of the cabin on 767s (again with a low load).

On each occasion, golds have been "exempt" and kept their preassigned seat with a big gap between them and everyone one. A few times as silver I managed to get a seat towards the front and keep it.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I haven't ever been moved or even seen anyone been moved for trim on a domestic yet. My domestic experience is split between MAN services (A321/320/319) and LBA servies (A319). Even on lightly loaded (<30) I haven't seen any moving of passengers. I have occassionally seen some odd seat blocking prior to OLCI (me in 1A and all seats blocked up to row 6 - only a few were actually occupied) so I wonder if that was some attempt to manage passenger distribution.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I've seen the same. The entire cabin opened up at T-72, then closed that evening. If you've selected your seat in the now 'closed' area, you tend to stay there, with the next passenger 15 rows down.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
I've seen the same. The entire cabin opened up at T-72, then closed that evening. If you've selected your seat in the now 'closed' area, you tend to stay there, with the next passenger 15 rows down.
Ah ha, so it isn't just me who has seen this. Did seem a bit odd when I looked at the seat map as I was isolated at the front.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I've never been moved for trim reasons - but a few times I've been unable to allocate seats towards the front in a 737.

On one occasion after boarding all six front rows were empty - but after take off the cabin crew said I could move forward to wherever I wanted.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by BA6501
Yep. Had that on the evening EDI-LHR 767 flight a few weeks ago. Entire cabin opened up at T-72, so moved up to a window in the front cabin, then was blocked out again the next day.

I thought "the plane can't be that full, right?", and indeed it wasn't. Bags of space.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Yes had the same was on a A321 to LHR from EDI and at T-72 moved up front. By the time it was T-24 front cabin greyed out. There was 6 of us at the end of the day in the front section. Rest of the plane was busy.

As we were running late on the day, connecting passengers were moved up to fill the empty seats.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Have this fairly often on quiet 737 domestics when the front 5 rows or so are blocked, though as earlier posted, if you have previously selected a seat in that area, not thrown out of it.(well I havn't been)
We were also the only couple in the front of an A321 in row 7, the entire rest of the front cabin was empty.... slightly strange!
This was 5 or six years back tho' where as on the 737 it has happened on a GLA flight very recently... there was a GCH in row 1 and me in row 3 then nobody else until row 6....
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Even with your confidence cws I am still unsure! I have managed to bag 8C (exit row on A321) and am tempted to stick with that. If I didn't have a row 8 seat I might be tempted to chance it though.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
On a A321 MAN-LHR service last August my son and I were walking down the air bridge to board when the TRM appears at the doors and shouted up to "move the passengers from row one to the back".

I identified us as row one pax and he asked us to wait at the bottom of the air bridge until everyone had boarded. He then gave us the a row to ourselves toward the back. No big deal, in the end it turned out well for us as we arrived at a remote stand and 'de-planed' from the rear.

Quite a few times I've experienced the front few rows being blocked on a lightly loaded A321. Those who selected seats a week or so before departure were left, with all the empty seats blocked about at T-72ish.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Having taken 2-4 BA domestic and short hauls a week for the past 2 years, I have never been moved for this reason.

And I have been on many low load flights.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My very rare foray into Dom on an ex-BMI A319 last year had seat shifting for trim reasons. And we were split up, and lost our Exit row seats. 6,000 Avios each was gratefully accepted

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ack-south.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.