Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Updated safety briefing video is now showing at a seat near you.... [28 June 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated safety briefing video is now showing at a seat near you.... [28 June 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by typical
Did I imagine it, or did the child go through a brief period of having to take off his headphones?
Some editions of that video had the child with headphones and the other one without.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Saw the new video for the 1st time this morning. I have to say that I find the new voiceover rather like aural valium, not exactly something that holds the attention, too soft and monotonous. Not helped by the narative (IMO) having become a bit more formal e.g. 'we are now going to show...' being used a few times.

As for Lynn West, rescuer of helpless cuddly animals, I suspect you can't find her as she'll have been headhunted by Virgin - with that figure, she is ideal for navigating the UC aisles on the A330...
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by KARFA
Wow, no that didn't come up. She has obviously needed to put in the hours pumping iron at the gym in order to be able to pick up the bunny. BotB was right, that must be one heavy bunny.
Tsk, tsk...I believe you'll find the lovely cabin crew member is called Lynn Wood. For more fact fun, check out the Newcastle DO quiz thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-2012-a.html

Re: Heavy Bunnies

The original thread I mentioned is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...vy-rabbit.html

Enjoy!

Does the kid still have an outline of the Concorde on his shirt or is it now an A380/787? Enquiring minds wish to know!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BotB
Tsk, tsk...I believe you'll find the lovely cabin crew member is called Lynn Wood. For more fact fun, check out the Newcastle DO quiz thread here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-2012-a.html
Well I don't like to disagree with cws, but it is definitely Lynn West. Admittedly it is difficult to see as it zooms in, but I have evidence from the video I linked to - this is as clear as I can get it.

Does this affect the outcome of the quiz? Will aggrieved participants be asking for a re-run? Perhaps she was Wood and has since got married to Geoff West?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:49 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Well I don't like to disagree with cws, but it is definitely Lynn West. Admittedly it is difficult to see as it zooms in, but I have evidence from the video I linked to - this is as clear as I can get it.

<snip>

Does this affect the outcome of the quiz? Will aggrieved participants be asking for a re-run? Perhaps she was Wood and has since got married to Geoff West?
Ooh, good spot...my, my...ambassadorial controversy

How many Ferrero Rocher does one get as compensation!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
KARFA - you deserve a prize.

What kind of prize exactly, escapes me...

(It looks like "Lynn Weal Long Vest")
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:49 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Oh yes. They can't remove it, how would you know what to to in event that a child drops their bunny in the terminal?
Nicolas Cage proved the importance of bunnies on planes in Con Air.

The bunny stays.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by chris1979
Heard / saw the new video today as well. The new voice is less "harsh" / "edgy". Sounds almost like the same lady though - ie it's not a completely different voice.
I believe the old voiceover was Emma Clarke - who you've almost certainly heard elsewhere.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:23 am

Saw/heard the new video this week...I can't help but feel the edit was a bit of a botch job...

the voice is definitely slower than previously with a period of silence between each sequence...however, at the point the oxygen masks are being described...the voice speed increases slightly and there are no gaps thereafter for the remainder of the video...I couldn't help feeling it was rushed at the end...surely they should have done another take and timed it more consistently throughout? (or maybe they simply 'chopped' the silent bits out thereafter and didn't feel anyone would notice?)

Also, one thing has always bugged me...why are there 4 masks that fall down? Is one extra for a baby? Or is this a mistake? (there are only 3 seated in the picture)...
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Saw/heard the new video this week...I can't help but feel the edit was a bit of a botch job...

the voice is definitely slower than previously with a period of silence between each sequence...however, at the point the oxygen masks are being described...the voice speed increases slightly and there are no gaps thereafter for the remainder of the video...I couldn't help feeling it was rushed at the end...surely they should have done another take and timed it more consistently throughout? (or maybe they simply 'chopped' the silent bits out thereafter and didn't feel anyone would notice?)
It's a different voice now, the new person has an accent tending towards NW London (Beaconsfield?), where as the previous voice was South Coast (Brighton?). Note the vowel inflections and deeper tone.

There's an extra bit about returning to your seat (and a new female character to go with it), so it looks to me that they have increased the verbal content but kept the length in terms of the music at the start and end. Consequently the final words are a bit drowned by the end music.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:29 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Also, one thing has always bugged me...why are there 4 masks that fall down? Is one extra for a baby? Or is this a mistake? (there are only 3 seated in the picture)...
I saw the updated video for a second time last weekend - it was only on 1 of my four flights - and I noticed exactly the same thing, 4 masks for 3 seats.

Also I note there has been no comment on the Lynn Wood/Lynn West scandal. I think we are beyond Ferrero Rocher compensation with that one!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:36 am

Also, one thing has always bugged me...why are there 4 masks that fall down? Is one extra for a baby?
Correct. Other unused ones would be used by cabin crew.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:43 am

Thanks 710 77345 ^ useful to know.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
Is it the A380/787 voice?
I hope not. I don't like that voice at all. I much prefer the old one.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Correct. Other unused ones would be used by cabin crew.
There are not for cabin crew although we would use them as we moved back to our seating positions to collect our oxygen in a decompression, the extra masks are for infants.
The speed of the announcements along with the lack of gaps and music overplaying have all been feed back to the powers that be, from what I have read that's how it's going to remain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.