Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TCX69
In late 2014/early 2015 British Airways has refurbished all of its A320 and A321 fleet (ex-bmi aircraft are not to be refurbished, and A319 conversions are still undergoing--see below) to an interior of:
  • Business class (Club Europe/CE) seat pitch of 30", width of 17" and recline of 3";
  • Economy class (Euro Traveller/ET) seat pitch of 29-30", width of 17" and recline of 2".

The Shorthaul Boeing fleet (Gatwick 737s, Heathrow 767s) will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a business class seat pitch of 34", width of 19.5" and recline of 4.5", and with an economy class seat pitch of 31", width of 18" and recline of 4.5".

The ex-bmi A319 and A320 aircraft will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a seat pitch of 30", width of 18" and recline of 3" in both business and economy.

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Pitch Changes
A319 business class from 34" to 30"
A320 business class from 34" to 30"
A321 business class from 34" to 30"

A319 economy class from 31" to 29"
A320 economy class from 31" to 30"
A321 economy class from 31" to 30"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Width Changes
A319 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A320 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A321 business class from 19.5" to 17"

A319 economy class from 18" to 17"
A320 economy class from 18" to 17"
A321 economy class from 18" to 17"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Recline Changes
A319/A320/A321 business class from 4.5" to 3"
A319/A320/A321 economy class from 4.5" to 2"

The A320 aircraft fitted with in flight entertainment (IFE) will continue to offer it for use on selected flights of 3 hours and over (Band 4) – ATH/IST/LCA. These aircraft no longer offer in-seat power.

Detailed description of the new seats and cabin design, courtesy of lhrsinsyd

New seat plans
courtesy of TCX69

Completed Aircraft - 28 Apr 16
courtesy of TCX69

A319
All Complete

A320
All Complete

A321
All Complete
Print Wikipost

New Shorthaul Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by patvan
I fully agree with this, after many fligths with the new seats, I can confirm that there are many complaints to the FA's, that the FA agree with the customers but some people on this forum who are employed by BA feel the need or got instructed to defend the new seat. Short haul CE is now economy or economy minus.
I must be living in an alternative universe to you lot.

No, no one made me post anything but this thread just does not reflect my reality. Carry on moaning as much as you like. I'm off.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
I fully agree with this, after many fligths with the new seats, I can confirm that there are many complaints to the FA's, that the FA agree with the customers but some people on this forum who are employed by BA feel the need or got instructed to defend the new seat. Short haul CE is now economy or economy minus.
If the bolded bit is aimed at Littlegirl then it is a low blow - AFAIK Littlegirl just speaks from her own experience, as do we all when we post on here. Let's face it, some like the new seats and some don't - that's life!

Personally I don't like the new seats (especially as I'm 6'3") but don't see the need to throw stones at others who may disagree.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
New Shorthaul Cabins

Until this evening, all my BA short haul over the past few months had been operated by a mixture of 319s, 321s and 767, and I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever see this new cabin. On almost every flight I've taken since the refit started, I've asked the CC how the new seats are going down and, without exception, have been told they're dealing with complaints all the time. After having flown EUUX back from BCN today, I can understand why.

The flight was about half full, and my seat was 1F. I'm an average 5'10", normal weight with what I imagine to be a fairly standard amount of padding in the backside area. Before we'd even left the ground, I'd lost much of the feeling in the area from my butt to the backs of my knees, and just couldn't find a comfortable position in which to sit. I moved back to an empty row 4 just to try out the leg room which was, for someone of my size, absolutely fine. My knees only touched the seat in front if I slouched to almost half way down the seat cushion. However, what I did notice was that the top of the seat in front was far more in my face than with the previous seats, which made it feel a bit claustrophobic. Also, the gaps between the seats seem wider to me - if I looked to the side, I found myself being far more aware of movement from the people in the row behind.

After reading so many complaints, I have to say that I really wanted to like it - but I just can't. As far as my individual travel choices are concerned this is something of a wake up call, having been a bit of a sucker for brand loyalty when it comes to BA for a while now. I've averaged over 7K TPs for the past few years, a significant chunk of that having been generated from SH, but from now on I'll look for alternatives. I flew U2 twice last week, both times in 1A, and much preferred those experiences to today's CE flight. Even visually speaking, EUUX was already looking a little scratched and grubby this evening, which is a shame.

I just can't see how this isn't a big mistake, but then again, I don't run an airline...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:55 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
So if CE (which is by definition short haul) is "economy minus" - what does that make ET?

There is some erosion of the hard product here in line with industry trends, but it still isn't ET, and it definitely isn't in LCC territory yet.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by V10
So if CE (which is by definition short haul) is "economy minus" - what does that make ET?

There is some erosion of the hard product here in line with industry trends, but it still isn't ET, and it definitely isn't in LCC territory yet.
+1.

Reading all of these comments, you'd think Air Koryo was better than BA.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by GSTBK
+1.

Reading all of these comments, you'd think Air Koryo was better than BA.
Looking at the Daily Mail it does appear that JS wins on legroom
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Maybe all my customers have been like EDI-traveller, I don't know but I have not had the same experience as you.
I'm not a big guy (Fnarr fnarr) - but I found the new seats fine - without slouching there was at least three inches of free space - and I had to slip LOW to press my knees against the seat in front.

I'm 5ft 11in.

Yes the pitch in CE will be much less than the space saver seats version - where it felt huge - but I was pleasantly surprised after all the negatives I'd read.

Most impressive for me was how "posh" the cabin looked compared to any other airline.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by GSTBK
The company you're thinking of is 'Titan Airways'.

And your actions sound rather over the top. LGW-AMS is an hour long flight. The configuration that Titan had on their BAe 146s had a seat pitch of at least 29-30''.
I am sorry but my understanding of the word "seat" is:
A thing made or used for sitting on, such as a chair or stool.
I could not sit on it.... ergo it was not a seat!

10 minutes or 10 hours are the same to me..... If someone tries to sell me a seat and I cannot sit in I will decline the sale.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
Not much to add from my first experience the other day, though at 6'2" I would not choose 1F again as I found the lack of leg room there was uncomfortable. I did like the seat though and the normal rows were OK, but at others have said it is the exit rows that are the best.

Does anybody know what the IFE controls are going to be used for? I may have missed it but I did not think BA bothered with IFE on short haul.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by BigVince76
Not much to add from my first experience the other day, though at 6'2" I would not choose 1F again as I found the lack of leg room there was uncomfortable. I did like the seat though and the normal rows were OK, but at others have said it is the exit rows that are the best.

Does anybody know what the IFE controls are going to be used for? I may have missed it but I did not think BA bothered with IFE on short haul.
That's for band 4 flights (longer ones, e.g. Athens) and is only on certain aircraft (and was also there pre-refurb). On these longer flights they will show some video content on the drop down screens and also a selection of audio channels.

When boarding a band 4 headphones should be provided.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Flew in the new cabin in CE a few weeks ago. Was not impressed, to put it politely. This is not worth to be called "business class".

Only thing that made up for this disappointment was the cabin crew which was great.

ET emergency exit seats are now better than CE seats.

If you have status for lounge access, extra luggage etc new CE is not worth paying for exept you need some more TPs really desperately.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Sitting on EUYT. Brand new A320. Nice leather smell of the seats, aircraft is spotless and looks very smart. A definite improvement in aesthetics.

Row right behind club does have the divider so perhaps the feeling of space is slightly reduced by that.

Leg room is about the same as easyJet, maybe a little more.

If I was used to 34" pitch in Club and was paying £300+ for a return ticket then i would be less that impressed so can see why there are unhappy people on this forum. It really doesn't look anything special up there.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by V10

I do agree with you that describing the new CE as 'economy minus' is a bit harsh. When you look at the product on the whole, it still provides some very beneficial extras, particularly for non status members. The only problem is that is now on an economy seat, which in a way kind of defeats the object!

Now, if we're talking about 'trends', whatever happened to setting the benchmark, making your product different, providing a little extra? I'm no businessman but if I wanted to make my product stand out from the competition I certainly wouldn't have done what BA have done, which really amounts to just penny-pinching. This stragegy just makes the difference between BA and the competitors so much smaller, making it easier for customers to choose another airline. If the company was having financial difficulties then I could understand what they might be trying to do, but as I understand it BA are doing rather well.

Last edited by headingwest; Oct 25, 2014 at 1:16 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Sitting on EUYT. Brand new A320. Nice leather smell of the seats, aircraft is spotless and looks very smart. A definite improvement in aesthetics.
This was my impression too.

I really don't want to be looking at a completely battered convertible seat (complete with foam spilling out from rips), the God-awful "art" on the bulkheads, or battling with a broken call bell on a Band 4.

Yes, the legroom is reduced. This is an irrefutable fact. It isn't reduced by as much as some posters think though, as the magazine holder is now at chest height and doesn't impede on your knee space.

BA now have a very smart cabin. I might be in the minority on this board but having done a few sectors now I find the ambience and feel of the forward cabin is much more conducive to delivering a CE product than it was before.

I've an upcoming Band 4 to Istanbul in two weeks. I picked the A320 flights over the 767. Flagellate me!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:13 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
Now, if we're talking about 'trends', whatever happened to setting the benchmark, making your product different, providing a little extra? I'm no businessman but if I wanted to make my product stand out from the competition I certainly wouldn't have done what BA have done, which really amounts to just penny-pinching. This stragegy just makes the difference between BA and the competitors so much smaller, making it easier for customers to choose another airline. If the company was having financial difficulties then I could understand what they might be trying to do, but as I understand it BA are doing rather well.
They'd probably argue that they've done exactly that with the aesthetics of the new cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.