Wiki Posts
Search

BYOB Onboard?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
BYOB Onboard?

I've been getting quite frustrated with the quality of wines provided in club europe/world, which while passable, are far from exciting, and I was wandering if anyone has ever looked to bring their own bottle of wine onboard. I asked a crew member recently if this was ever done and was told that while it was not an offence to open a bottle purchased in duty free, which I thought it was, it was against the law to allow a passenger to be inebriated on an aircraft. Clearly a very subjective rule (especially given the heavy hand of most crew members) but understandable.

So, has anyone ever seen this happen? Would be pretty cool to have a quality bottle of whine onboard, albeit altitude will detract from the experience, but would surely be an improvement on some of those provided. Probably wouldn't want to create a fuss about trying to open one on a full flight but if empty as it recently was on upper deck to NY and not against the rules could be a nice idea to ask permission of the crew.
Old May 14, 2014, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
BYOB Onboard?

A corkscrew would be your first problem...I've never seen it done before.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
A lot of wines are screwcaps these days.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Old May 14, 2014, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yep I hear you that could be problematic but do they not have corkscrews onboard?
Old May 14, 2014, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nequine
A lot of wines are screwcaps these days.
Tell that to the people at Latour
Old May 14, 2014, 2:27 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
I have brought my own onboard a few times, not ecently though.

I've usually done so when there has been catering problems.

If you buy a bottle at Caviar House, they'll uncork it for you and give you a resealable plastic/rubber, metal cap instead, if you ask.

bjorns
Old May 14, 2014, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
It's a problem on the tube: the armrests are too narrow to hold bottle or glass.

Just don't get me started on London buses, although National Express can be a joy.

My car has a handy glass holder, but accommodating the bottle while negotiating traffic is a problem.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:48 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I thought you had more imagination than to allow a small problem to prevent the enjoyment of a good bottle of wine...as the below will demonstrate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMMdN4AFtqE
Old May 14, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by bjorns

If you buy a bottle at Caviar House, they'll uncork it for you and give you a resealable plastic/rubber, metal cap instead, if you ask.

bjorns
That's handy to know. Are the whites chilled?
Old May 14, 2014, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We would have no problem opening your own bottle onboard, but please remain sober(ish).
Old May 14, 2014, 3:04 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
A good bottle on the ground can be quite dreadful in the air no? Unless we take Heston's advice and all use our Nasal Douches.
Old May 14, 2014, 3:13 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Tell that to the people at Latour
It would be a complete waste of money to drink Latour on an aeroplane
Old May 14, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I used to do this a fair bit in F before the liquids ban, and enjoyed a few half bottles of Pichon Baron and Yquem as a result. I thought by them only being half bottles I'd be seen as not being a p!sshead. Whether that bit worked or not I don't know.

I always ask the crew if they would mind opening and serving it to me, and I am always ready for a "No". This is key, there is no point in embarrassing yourself.

On AA the crew used to ask the captain (or so they said), who always said "Yes". VS J have been OK with it too, but it's been some time since I last tried.

Since the liquid ban, I only bother taking dessert wine onboard on airlines that don't serve it, like SQ or CX. On SQ the crew ask further up the chain but it has been OK in my experience. On CX, I had an immediate "No" so I've never bothered to ask since.

I don't bother with BYOB on BA, as the stuff in F is pretty darned good, albeit usually rubbish for food pairing with the flight's menu, which is a bit silly as the menus in F these days combine wine and food in the same booklet, so you'd have hoped they might've thought about it. (I have yet to sample A380 F, fixing that next week though).

What I do these days however is bring on my own stemware. The thimble glasses are rubbish for getting your olfactory senses going, and to me it's a shocking waste on BA F to be drinking that grog like that. The crew quite often overfill the tiny glasses too.

So I bring on one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Riedel-To-Re...414%2F0+riedel

Pint of wine anyone?
Old May 14, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by dsk7
I've been getting quite frustrated with the quality of wines provided in club europe/world, which while passable, are far from exciting, and I was wandering if anyone has ever looked to bring their own bottle of wine onboard. I asked a crew member recently if this was ever done and was told that while it was not an offence to open a bottle purchased in duty free, which I thought it was, it was against the law to allow a passenger to be inebriated on an aircraft. Clearly a very subjective rule (especially given the heavy hand of most crew members) but understandable.

So, has anyone ever seen this happen? Would be pretty cool to have a quality bottle of whine onboard, albeit altitude will detract from the experience, but would surely be an improvement on some of those provided. Probably wouldn't want to create a fuss about trying to open one on a full flight but if empty as it recently was on upper deck to NY and not against the rules could be a nice idea to ask permission of the crew.
Not BA admittedly, but UM. Whilst waiting in Harare departures in mid-90s an tannoy announcement was made that Air Zimbabwe do not offer alcoholic drinks during the flight, but there is a well stocked duty free shop at the airport and the plane has plenty of ice and free mixers for those that want spirits.

I did what most of the plane did and bought some duty free (in my case dark rum). I can distinctly remember trying every possible mixer with it including lime

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.